Dexron VI / Transfer Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone. Great Website on Oils and Fluids!

I have a question. I have a 2005 Nissan titan, 60K miles. I was at a GM dealership getting tires done on my truck (friends of mine) and I decided to change the transfer case fluid.

I have changed it before with Synthetic Mobil 1 ATF, but the GM dealership didn't have Mobil 1. They said Dexron VI is the synthetic replacement for Dexron III.
(Nissan calls for D Matic ATF or Dexron III).

So I said ok, this would be fine.

When I got home that night, I had driven 67 miles with the Dexron VI in my transfer case. I was curious and did some research on Dexron VI and then found that GM has a bulletin out stating NEVER to use Dexron VI in manual transmissions or transfer cases as it will cause a failure!!!

I nearly had heart failure!! So I immediately went to the store and got Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and drained my transfer case and refilled. I didn't see any noticeable metal or anything, and the fluid was clean/red. It did smell bad though, like used gear oil.

My question is, why would Dexron VI cause your transfer case to fail, when it is suppose to be better then dexron III?

And the bigger question is, do you think I did any damage to my transfer case?

What damage would the Dexron VI cause?

Thanks a lot!

You didn't damage anything, but you are wise to change it.

Sure Dex VI is backward compatible with many GM AT's. I have said many times here that does not mean Dex VI can be used in everything that ever required DEX IIIH and back (Dex III, II, etc)

Dex VI is a bit thin for your transfer case, just consider that you did a nice flush. I doubt the Dex VI would immediately lunch your TC, but long term wear would not be the best. Some will say cheap Dex III will rapidly shear to Dex VI levels, but that seems kinda lame and you don't want cheap Dex III in there anyway. Enjoy.

welcome2.gif

Quote:
They said Dexron VI is the synthetic replacement for Dexron III.
Well...those doofuses were about 1/3rd right. As Pablo sez, Dex-6 is the ATF of choice for GM Hydramatic transmissions, a few GM Allison transmissions, and no others. It is not synthetic by spec...a syn blend meets the performance spec...and the Dex-6 sold by the dealership was likely not full syn.

You did right to remove the Dexron-VI.

I cannot believe that NOBODY there knew that you should not use Dexron VI in Transfer cases and manual transmissions!!

Especially since the ALL work for GM. I found the bulletin online, and it states that GM has a new part# for a manual trans fluid now(for dexron III trans's and transfercases), and when I called them and informed them, they never knew it and didn't have the new fluid!!

In early 2005, General Motors released a newly developed automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the factory fill of all GM Powertrain stepped-gear automatic transmissions. The new fluid provides significantly improved performance in terms of friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control and oxidation resistance. In addition, the fluid has the potential to enable improved fuel economy and extended drain intervals. Because the performance of the new fluid far exceeded that of the DEXRON-III service-fill fluids available at the time, it became necessary to upgrade the DEXRON service-fill specification in order to ensure that similar fluids were available in the market for service situations. This latest upgrade to the service- fill specification is designated DEXRON-VI (fig. 1).

Since General Motors introduced the first ATF service-fill specification in 1949, it has been necessary to upgrade the specification periodically.

The upgrading process ensures that available service-fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the factory-fill fluid performance.

TIP: As with previous upgrades, DEXRON-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. More importantly, earlier type fluids are not forward compatible with transmission hardware that was designed to use DEXRON-VI fluid.

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All current calibrations and certification tests are now conducted with DEXRON-VI ATF. DEXRON-III fluids should not be used for those applications where the owner manual recommends the use of DEXRON-VI.

TIP: GM does not license or support obsolete ATF specifications or the use of fluids that are being marketed against cancelled specifications.

All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, GM will support only DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Avoid fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in
DEXRON-III applications” or similar wording. DEXRON-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications.

The use of unlicensed fluids and/or non-GM approved aftermarket additives may prove detrimental to transmission performance and void warranty coverage.

- Thanks to (Name Removed)

Precaution: DEXRON-VI in Manual Transmissions

When DEXRON-III is indicated as the fluid fill for manual transmissions and transfer cases, DO NOT use DEXRON-VI. Instead, use GM Manual Transmission Fluid p/n 88861800 in these components.

TIP: Refer to PIP3836B (Feb. 2007).

If the manual transmission or transfer case indicates use of DEXRON-VI, then, of course, it should be used.

Purging Equipment

Before filling your bulk fluid equipment with DEXRON-VI, be sure to purge the old oil from it.

Also, be sure to purge your J-45096 Transflow machine before using it with DEXRON-VI.

Last edited:
99% of the GM service people I have met in my life (after owning 20 GM vehicles) are complete know nothing idiots. I only know of 1 GM dealer where the mechanics are real mechanics and all have 20+ years of service and know how to read TSB's. These guys are so good you have to schedule appointments 2-3 weeks in advance because there is always a waiting line. They also take a lot of pride in their work. Very hard to find these days.

Originally Posted By: PT1
99% of the GM service people I have met in my life (after owning 20 GM vehicles) are complete know nothing idiots. I only know of 1 GM dealer where the mechanics are real mechanics and all have 20+ years of service and know how to read TSB's. These guys are so good you have to schedule appointments 2-3 weeks in advance because there is always a waiting line. They also take a lot of pride in their work. Very hard to find these days.

I must be lucky then. I have a few of those dealerships nearby.......

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

I must be lucky then. I have a few of those dealerships nearby.......

You are in Michigan...there was a GMC dealer here who had the best service department in the area....closed. The mechanics would ask you what the issue was and tell you the remedy 90% of the time right at the service desk. I guess GM never looked at what dealerships to close based on customer experience.
33.gif

No leaks=no problems. If a seal has a leak and you become low on fluid, then its toast. So, either change it back to M1 or keep an eye on the level.

I guess GM never looked at what dealerships to close based on customer experience.
33.gif

Orders from the white house were given on which dealerships were to be closed and which stayed open during the bailout. Some of the criteria included "minority owned" and which side of the political isle the dealership supported. This has been in the open for months. The problem is the left leaning media in the USA has chosen not to cover it.

That being said my Silverado calls for Dex VI in the transfer case.

From TSB 04-07-30-037D

Date: November 21, 2007

INFORMATION

Subject:
Release of DEXRON(R)-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS/TRANSFER CASES and POWER STEERING

The content of this bulletin does not apply to manual transmissions or transfer cases. Any vehicle that previously required DEXRON(R)-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use P/N 88861800. This fluid is labeled Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid. Power Steering Systems should now use P/N 9985010 labeled Power Steering Fluid.

Originally Posted By: TitanGuy
I cannot believe that NOBODY there knew that you should not use Dexron VI in Transfer cases and manual transmissions!!

I agree, it's ridiculous. Imagine how many TCs they've filled w/ DexVI!

I hope you got a refund.

If your GM truck came with DexVI in the tranny (2006 MY +) can you assume there is Dex VI in the transfer case (non-push button 4x4)?

Originally Posted By: hisilver
If your GM truck came with DexVI in the tranny (2006 MY +) can you assume there is Dex VI in the transfer case (non-push button 4x4)?

You can assume nothing. Read your owner's manual, or buy an owner's manual from the dealer's parts counter.

I believe in 2007 when the GMT900 new truck platform came out GM went from Autotrak 11 to Dexron V1 in the transfer case. The best thing is to look in the owners manual to see what it calls for.

AutoTrak is only for electronic push button 4x4 as far as i know, not for manual shift 4x4

Last edited:
fyi............

Quote:
Any vehicle that previously required DEXRON(R)-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use P/N 88861800. This fluid is labeled Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid.

This is really Dexron III which they renamed to this. I have some GM literature that states that fact, it says Dexron III is being renamed Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid.

Here is back label from a quart bottle of GM Dexron VI made by Petro Canada (I have MSDS). It says on MSDS its highly processed petroleum.

IMG_0433.jpg

Kinda irrelevant since this vehicle is a Nissan and the xcase won't fall apart with a fluid 1-cst thinner.

The only issue that I've seen is that DexronVI isn't compatible with some cheap low bid GM seals and gasket materials.

If you fear the Dex6, then change it out to something else. I'd use Mobil1 or any other full synthetic ATF.

Lesson #2 is not to bring a Nissan to a GM dealership for service
33.gif

For a transfer case calling for ATF, I'd use one of these ATF-thin syncromesh fluids for greater wear protection:

Honda MTF II cSt 7.5
Royal Purple Synchromax cSt 7.7
Torco MTF cSt 8.35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back