Transmission cooler hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Multi fuel rated fuel injection hose be used on the return side on a transmission cooler, Or do you have to use transmission fluid rated hose. I have a quantity of the fuel line and would like to use it. It is multi fuel rated and I was thinking it should be ok.

I had transmission fluid eat through a plastic fuel filter before, so I would say stick with stuff thats made for the stuff that your fixing.

Just look up the SAE number that's stenciled on it.

The spec's for cooler line or otherwise "hot oil" are

SAE J1532 and SAE J1019

SAE J1532

This SAE Standard covers four types of hose for use with automatic transmission fluid: A, B, AT, and BT. Type A and Type B are for use within a temperature range of -40 to 125 degrees C (-40 to 257 degrees F) while types AT and BT are for use within a temperature range of -40 to 150 degrees C (-40 to 302 degrees F). Recommended maximum operating pressure for Type A and Type AT hose is 1.7 MPa (250 psi) while recommended maximum operating pressure for Type B and Type BT hose is 1.0 MPa (150 psi). The lower pressure (Types B and BT) hose is for auxiliary cooler applications only. The reference fluid for tests requiring the use of automatic transmission fluid shall be Dexron-II E/Mercon or equivalent.

Document Number: J1019
Date Published: September 2007

Issuing Committee:
Hydraulic Hose And Hose Fittings Committee

Scope:
This SAE Standard is intended to establish uniform methods for testing and evaluation of hose and hose assemblies for use in high temperature transmission oil systems and high temperature lubricating oil systems using petroleum base oils within a temperature range of -40 to 150 degrees C (-40 to 302 degrees F) and a maximum working pressure of 1.5 MPa (217 psi).

For air brake hose, power steering, fuel filter, engine and transmission coolant lines and hot +149°C (+300°F) lube lines. Recommended for diesel engine flexlines.

• Meets DOT FMVSS 106-74 Type AI and SAE J1019 hot oil circulation test.
• 300 to 1,500 psi working pressure.

For fuel line, I don't think SAE 30R7 would be acceptable. It's got a 50lb (I think) working pressure limit. The temp @ 250f+ is probably okay.

SAE 30R9 is good for 900psi burst pressure and a 257F working temp limit.

SAE 30R9 is good for 900psi burst pressure and a 257F working temp limit.

I have the Gates multi fuel line 30R9. So if I understand correctly it should be ok? Gates website shows 302 degree temp.

Fuel injection hose is fine for auto trannys.

According to the fine post by Gary Allen, there are variances.

Stated fuel injection line is not cheap rubber fuel line.

Thanks for all the replies. I called the manufacturer, which is gates and left a message for customer service. I actually received two calls back in response to my question. The first guy said no you can't use it it will come apart internally and gum up your trans. I got another call from them and this guy says yes it should work ok, but not a first choice. I then spoke to someone in engineering who spec'd the hose. He said not to use it, it will come apart from the inside. I went to AA today, to get some tranny line, and get it over with. They sold me Thermoid brand hose for Transmission fluid. I does not look as good, but supposedly the right choice.

Fuel Injection Hose SAE 30R9
Products > Hoses > Fuel

Fuel Injection 30R9 200x200
Application:

Designed specifically for auto and truck fuel injection systems. Goodyear EP SAE 30R9 is CARB approved (C-U-06-011) with a maximum fuel permeation of 15 gm/m2/day at 40˚C.
Specific Fuel:

Gasoline, ethanol extended gasoline, oxidized sour gas, diesel fuel, biodiesel, lubrication oil.

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=5144

..but you've got the properly spec'd product now ..and life is good
55.gif

If it will hold up to fuel, surely it would hold up chemically to transmission fluid.

I have used the Thermoid brand hose for plumbing aux coolers and such. I just make sure to protect the hose from abrasion in areas of contact by using some type of split loom.

Yep, I sure will. I had some old 5/8 heater hose that I slit and put over the 3/8 to protect it from chafing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back