What exactly is BMW LL01 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What qualities & characteristics make an oil worthy of being LL01? Obviously it has to survive long OCIs, but specifically what are they looking for? Minimal shearing, high TBN after 10k miles, etc?

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Minimal shearing, high TBN after 10k miles, etc?

I don't know the specifics but I'm pretty sure you're on the right track. The one thing I'm sure of is that the oil has to have a minimum high temperature/high shear (HTHS) viscosity of 3.5. I'd assume there are also specifications for wear prevention and deposit control.

I heard somewhere that BMW's LL-xx tests are basically the same as ACEA tests (e.g. A3), just done on BMW engines instead of whatever standard rigs the ACEA uses. Not sure if that's true.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I heard somewhere that BMW's LL-xx tests are basically the same as ACEA tests (e.g. A3),

But it's important to note which version of ACEA A3 we're talking about. LL-01 has more stringent soot thickening, wear, sludge, piston deposits, and oxidative thickening requirements than ACEA A3-02 (from 2002). But the latest ACEA A3/B4-08 (from 2008) seems to have surpassed LL-01 requirements in many of those areas.

You can compare them on a spider diagram here:
http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RP/PC/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back