L14610 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are two filters I cut open last weekend. They are both from my Auto-Rx clean phase. The first is a Purolator Premium Plus 14610 with 2800 miles with 2600 miles being with Auto-Rx. It was changed out for the second filter. The second filter is the Proline equivalent of the 14610 with about 1800 miles on it. First one was taken off at the beginning of May and when I cut it open there was still plenty of oil that didn't get through the ADBV. Same with the second filter.

The car was bought used at the end of January, and I didn't know how dirty or clean the engine was. Looked normal through the oil fill hole. There seemed like there was some sediment in the filters.

Some of the pictures are blurry and don't show much, but my hands were drenched in oil and I was trying not to get it all over my camera.

first filter:

arx1_2.jpg

arx1_5.jpg

was clean before I put the filter element on it
arx1_7.jpg

filter 2:

arx2_1.jpg

arx2_3.jpg

Since doing your flush have you noticed any difference as far as oil usage/leaks? The reason I ask is that i've heard that flushing/cleaning an engine could cause an adverse affect.
I recently purchased an '04 Subaru OBW w/67K miles and an unknown previous service history.
I'm getting ready to switch over to synthetic.
Are flushes/cleanings necessary?

It doesn't appear to burn any oil to me.

If you know the car has been serviced regularly and everything looks clean through the oil hole then it's not really necessary that a cleaner be used. If there isn't anything wrong with it then you'll probably be fine just using the synthetic. If it makes you sleep better at night then run some Auto-Rx through it (I am not affiliated with them, but it is one of the products that isn't considered a snake oil (by most)).

I bought my car with an unknown service history so I put in the Auto-Rx for a peace of mind, but now I'm convinced it did something. Don't know what exactly, but with the really dark oil I drained out of it and the filter I cut open I believe it cleaned. Can't wait to cut open the rinse filter when I it's time for an oil change.

The Proline filter seems to be a little cleaner than the first filter Purolator, but its construction is similar to Purolator. I got FAR 4 Proline filters with 20 quarts Peak oil few months ago from Pepboys.

Which filter are you using for rinse phase ?

Purolator 14459. It's nice to have a car that has three or four filters that would fit. After my rinse phase is over, I'm going to be using Pureones of either the 14610 or 14459.

Purolators have such flimsy cans. As I was trying to cut them open the metal kind of conformed to the ridges of the filter element.

So over Christmas break I cut open the filter that I used for the ARX rinse phase. It was on the car for about 3k miles. The bends in the pleats might have been from cutting it open. There were specks of black stuff that I believe is from the engine.

100_0368.jpg

100_0369.jpg

100_0370.jpg

100_0371.jpg

100_0372.jpg

100_0374.jpg

100_0375.jpg

100_0376.jpg

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
Originally Posted By: Carzzz
just want to remind you that pureone 14610 has 99.9% efficiency @ 40 micron rating!

source?

It says it right on the box of the new gold PureONE 14610's.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
So over Christmas break I cut open the filter that I used for the ARX rinse phase. It was on the car for about 3k miles. The bends in the pleats might have been from cutting it open. There were specks of black stuff that I believe is from the engine.

100_0368.jpg

100_0369.jpg

100_0370.jpg

100_0371.jpg

100_0372.jpg

100_0374.jpg

100_0375.jpg

100_0376.jpg

I highly doubt the bends are from cutting it open, i bet the bends in the pleats are just from having oil go through. Happens to a lot of filters

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

I highly doubt the bends are from cutting it open, i bet the bends in the pleats are just from having oil go through. Happens to a lot of filters

Probably but I was putting a lot of pressure around the area where the bends were, so I'm not ruling it out.

Just for reference the ProLine 14459 I cut open from my ARX rinse phase had perfectly uniform media without any bends in the pleats, so it probably was from the opening process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back