Recent Topics
PP and PU 45% off this wk at CT !!!
by ST2008
1 minute 53 seconds ago
Photographic evidence of HDEO / synth oil cleaning
by OldEuroCarLover
15 minutes 7 seconds ago
Limited Slip Additive needed for G80?
by Nick1994
22 minutes 33 seconds ago
4-5k will it even matter?
by Camprunner
31 minutes 56 seconds ago
Purolator BOSS
by kenpoed
46 minutes 43 seconds ago
Neither Key Fob Works!
by bobbob
51 minutes 39 seconds ago
How long can I go?
by kenpoed
57 minutes 51 seconds ago
What gear oil? 2004 Toyota Sequoia 4WD
by ShadowSix
Today at 07:48 PM
Degree of difficulty of changing cabin filter
by HTSS_TR
Today at 07:46 PM
mini spool to make a posi-traction ?
by leroyd92
Today at 06:40 PM
Egg Casserole
by chiefsfan1
Today at 06:24 PM
What oil would you recommend for my driving?
by Dylan1303
Today at 06:16 PM
Newest Members
JoeI, binarycache, MarkieB, albertson, Chevy538487
58973 Registered Users
Who's Online
106 registered (2KBMW, 2015_PSD, 2009Edge, 4WD, asiancivicmaniac, 10 invisible), 1437 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
58973 Members
66 Forums
253831 Topics
4167612 Posts

Max Online: 2862 @ 07/07/14 03:10 PM
Donate to BITOG
Topic Options
#160055 - 10/24/05 11:27 AM Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
Dark Horse Offline


Registered: 10/16/05
Posts: 32
Loc: Tikrit, Iraq
Which of these HDEO ends up doing the best or is most recommended on these boards? Both get very high accolades.

I;m running a stroked I6.

Thanks again

Top
#160056 - 10/24/05 03:20 PM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
fred Offline


Registered: 08/21/03
Posts: 128
Loc: idaho
I would go with the Delvac, its a beter oil.

Top
#160057 - 10/24/05 10:06 PM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
Ryan00TJ Offline


Registered: 07/08/02
Posts: 742
Loc: Lake Anna, VA
Delvac 1 or Truck @ SUV are probably better than your Delo 5W-40 Syn. I don't think the Delo is a PAO based synthetic like Mobil 1 and is probably Group III like Rotella T 5W-40 Syn. Both will work fine in your 4.6L I6 but since the Mobil is so cheap at Wallmart that is what I would use. I use the T @ SUV in my 2.5L, 4.0L and 420rwhp LS1 that sees alot of hard driving. It's a ****** oil!

Top
#160058 - 10/25/05 12:25 AM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
Gary Allan Offline


Registered: 09/28/02
Posts: 39806
Loc: Pottstown, PA
I don't think we've seen a UOA/VOA on this oil. I think that it has too limited a distribution to be economical ..probably worse then Delvac 1 (under that label). I'd love to have access to both the 5w-40 and 0w-30 flavors of this stuff. It could be the XD-3 of "the states" ..but I doubt it would be the bargain that the Esso line is.

In terms of performance, it may do just as good as a PAO synth.

Top
#160059 - 10/25/05 01:14 AM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
Big O Dave Offline


Registered: 08/10/04
Posts: 1415
Loc: The New State of Central Calif...
Delo 400 Synthetic 0W-30: $4.28/quart

Top
#160060 - 10/25/05 02:02 AM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
Dark Horse Offline


Registered: 10/16/05
Posts: 32
Loc: Tikrit, Iraq
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Allan:
I don't think we've seen a UOA/VOA on this oil. I think that it has too limited a distribution to be economical ..probably worse then Delvac 1 (under that label). I'd love to have access to both the 5w-40 and 0w-30 flavors of this stuff. It could be the XD-3 of "the states" ..but I doubt it would be the bargain that the Esso line is.

In terms of performance, it may do just as good as a PAO synth.

Which oil haven't ya'll seen? Which of the two do you recommend? I'll run one of these HDEO - I was recommended 15w-40 dino, but would prefer synthetic even if I have to do relatively frequent oil changes.

Top
#160061 - 10/25/05 02:49 AM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
Gary Allan Offline


Registered: 09/28/02
Posts: 39806
Loc: Pottstown, PA
I don't believe anyone has used Delo synth on the board. I'm sure that there would have been a big hoopla about it they did.

Either will do just fine ..as will Rotella T synth. You would probably be doing overkill if you did 6 month OCIs under most conditions.

Top
#160062 - 10/25/05 03:08 AM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
416Rigby Offline


Registered: 01/24/05
Posts: 478
Loc: Florida
Delo 5w-40 synthetic is a Grp III oil. About $110 per case of six gallon jugs.

Top
#160063 - 10/25/05 06:04 AM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
Big O Dave Offline


Registered: 08/10/04
Posts: 1415
Loc: The New State of Central Calif...
I used Delo 400 Synthetic 0W-30 for almost four years, ending in mid-2001; I got tired of driving 50 miles for it. Back then, I was BITOG-less (so was everyone else [Frown] ), and I knew nothing about UOA's and such...

...and now, I'm just about to pickup 5 cases of it, along with 5 cases of Delo 10W-30. I'm going back!

Top
#160064 - 10/25/05 06:31 AM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
99 Offline


Registered: 01/10/05
Posts: 631
Loc: SW burbs of Chicago
Go with the Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV instead as it's the same thing. It's a real synthetic and Walmart has it-$20 for a 5 qt jug.

Top
#160065 - 10/25/05 09:18 AM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
SSDude Offline


Registered: 12/14/03
Posts: 1488
Loc: Los Angeles
quote:
Originally posted by Big O Dave:
I used Delo 400 Synthetic 0W-30 for almost four years, ending in mid-2001; I got tired of driving 50 miles for it. Back then, I was BITOG-less (so was everyone else [Frown] ), and I knew nothing about UOA's and such...

...and now, I'm just about to pickup 5 cases of it, along with 5 cases of Delo 10W-30. I'm going back!

Big O Dave,

Where are you getting this oil from?

Top
#160066 - 10/25/05 10:35 AM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
Gurkha Offline


Registered: 05/30/04
Posts: 855
Loc: India
Seems like we are condemning Delo Synth before it has had a chance to be tested out against Delvac-I, considering Delo 400 performance, it would be fair to say that the synth product would perform equally good and give Delvac-I a run for the money.

Top
#160067 - 10/25/05 11:26 AM Re: Delo 400 5w40 syn vs Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 syn
Big O Dave Offline


Registered: 08/10/04
Posts: 1415
Loc: The New State of Central Calif...
quote:
Originally posted by SSDude:
quote:
Originally posted by Big O Dave:
I used Delo 400 Synthetic 0W-30 for almost four years, ending in mid-2001; I got tired of driving 50 miles for it. Back then, I was BITOG-less (so was everyone else [Frown] ), and I knew nothing about UOA's and such...

...and now, I'm just about to pickup 5 cases of it, along with 5 cases of Delo 10W-30. I'm going back!

Big O Dave,

Where are you getting this oil from?

Ramos/Strong Petroleum in Mojave. Depending where you live, you might find a Chevron distributor that's closer to you. I'm adding it on to my commercial order for my shop.

Top