Grade your vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, time to give that car a grade. This is based on what YOU think about it, nobody else. Okay, me first:

2006 Cobalt- B-

Better than the Cav-with a downside. Handles well, great on gas. Easy to live with everyday. Expect the SEATS! At least on the base model (if I got another one, it would have to be an LT, which has better seats) Very long trips suck in this car. Which is sad, since it drives pretty nice for a base car.

2003- Cavalier B

If you can look past the cheap interior, it's a great car. Very hardy, and can take all the abuse you can dish out. Ecotec is still very smooth. Great on gas, easily does 28-30 mpgs city. Short of a very dead fuel pump at 48k, no issues at all. Two nitpiks though. The visor has broken twice! (maybe it's the wife
21.gif
)And the rust is starting to sneak in-hoping some por should help that out...

2004 Cavalier B+

Same good things as above. Kinda naked, then again, I ordered it that way. Like the way this coupe handles. Fun! Only issue is that is only has 19k on it......

1996 Cherokee 4.0

A. Most reliable, least expensive vehicle to own that I've ever had, or heard of anybody I know having. Not the most stable thing on ice and during heavy rain, but that 4.0 is a great engine.

2009 Jeep Patriot

A- Like it very well, AWD does excellent in snow, ice, and slippery stuff. 24 mpg around here, 31 on my most recent highway trip.
The engine is not a 4.0, to be sure, but if it's in the right gear at the right time, it's quick enough. Thank G0D I got a 5-speed. I didn't like the CVT at all.

2005 Durango B
Fun to drive, fast, that hemi is quick! and thirsty! 12 city, 18 hwy. Not alot of room behind the 3rd row seat. quiet and smooth.

2005 Chevy Suburban B+ (if you need the space, this is an A+)
Alot of room, nice interior. not exactly fun to drive. decent MPG considering: 14 city 20 hwy

2002 Echo B
The newer version, the Yaris, is much more stylish but basically the same car. Noisy. Handling is fun around town but below average at higher speeds. Jittery. Seats are uncomfortable for long trips. The engine just sings! now for the best part: city 33 hwy 40 best MPG w/out going hybrid

2006 Uplander C
This is gonna sound silly, but I like the styling (for a minivan) Compared to the competition, it is really lacking. Seats are hard to remove, not enuf cupholders, engine drones. but I, and the kids, like the thing. I cant explain why.

2006 Focus A-
I cant help but compare this to my Echo: the Focus is roomier, quieter, more substantial, handles better and has much better seats. Yes, it gives up a little in MPG.

I'll give my 2002 Cavalier a B+.

Plus's - smooth, reasonably powerful engine that doesn't burn any oil. Also starts well in extreme cold. Good transmission. Well-laid out interior, with decent room. Fold-down rear seat and good sized trunk. Excellent stereo system, and good air conditioning.

Minuses - body sqeaks and creaks a lot. Soft suspension makes car bottom-out easily. Body rusts badly - rust has causes 2 windsheilds to crack; and door bottoms are going rapidly. Brakes wear out quickly. Worst one - car is impossible to service! No tranny d/s or drain bolt; oil filter impossible to reach for easy oil changes. Engine has bad piston slap when cold.

2007 Civic coupe - B+
Looks nice, drives nice for an econo-car. Decent power, good gas mileage. Decent serviceability for most common maintenance tasks. Good interior material quality. Doesn't get an A because: front struts and a power steering pump replaced under warranty (although I'm not sure the PS pump was really needed), has squeaks and rattles, some maintenance tasks are harder due to extreme cab forward design. Engine could be smoother at idle. I consider all its faults pretty minor in the scheme of things (even the strut replacements -- the dealer replaced them without any hassle because I complained they were squeaking -- they were still working fine).

2008 Mazda3s sedan - A
Looks nice, drives nice, more than enough power/torque. Decent gas mileage considering its pep. Good interior look and materials quality. I don't like the red backlit gauges (prefer blue or green) but that's not enough to knock it down a point. PITA to jack it up in the front, but also not enough to downgrade it.

1999 Suburban 2500 - A-
Not really sure how to grade this one. I don't really like driving it that much because it's a big, lumbering truck and I prefer smaller, more nimble vehicles (although it does have its charm). It does its job well (pulling a horse trailer). I don't feel like I can fault it for its poor fuel economy (10-11 mpg) because, hey, it's a truck with a 454 ci engine. I can't really fault it for its somewhat soft suspension because it's got 165k miles on it and it's 10 years old. I think we paid too much for it but that's not the truck's fault. Down 1/2 grade because it might have a GM intake gasket leak, and the big block doesn't push it quite as hard as I'd like.

1998 Corvette Coupe - A++ what's not to like, great looks, great acceleration, great handling, and 32.5 mpg on trips (22.5 mpg going to work), Targa Top is best of both worlds (convertible and hardtop)

2001 Chevy Impala - B good sedan

2006 Nissan Murano - B+ good crossover SUV for 4 people, decent gas mileage

1996 Chevy Custom Express Van - B- great "land yacht" for trips (7 people)and/or hauling stuff (15 mpg)

1994 Lexus Ls400 B+

Good luxury sedan with good ride and quiet. Engine is quiet but not enough power for the 4000 lbs car. Gas mileage is not good for a 4 liters V8, average about 15 MPG in city and about 23 MPG on highway.

2000 MB E430 B+

Very good performance sedan and enough room for 4 people on long trips. Engine has enough power to cruise 100+ MPH all day long with 4 people and luggage. Gas mileage is good for a 4.3 liters V8, average about 17 MPG in city and 26-27 MPG on highway. The 45 series 17" tires do not lasted more than 20-25k miles and they are expensive. Front brake pads usually is needed to be changed at around 15-20k miles.

2004 Honda S2000 A-

Very good performance and handling for a 2.2 liters 4 cylinders convertible. It can easily cruising at more than 80 MPH on highway with top down. Gas mileage is good for a sub 5.5sec 0-60 MPH car, average about 21-23 MPH with 80% city driving. Bad: rear tires bald at less than 15k miles and the size 255/40-17 Z-rated or higher is expensive, and redline is only 8k instead of 9k as previous model years. Good: nice exhaust sound when rev above 6k RPM.

2008 Toyota Corolla CE, automatic

Overall score: B+

Likes: 1ZZ-FE engine and Aisin Warner tranny are going to be bullet proof long-term. Engine layout is a DIYers dream. Changing oil, getting to the plugs, flushing tranny, etc. are extremely easy. Interior is actually not too bad for an economy car. Seats are extremely padded for lack of a better word. Never had thicker cushy seats in a car in this segment.

Dislikes: Engine is a bit "clackety" if you will. Since brand new, it has always had this slight clacking sound when warmed up and idling. Toyota says, "this is how these sound and is normal". Steering wheel position is horrible and the car desperately needed a telescoping steering wheel. Hard to describe exactly, the but I always feel like I am reaching at a weird angle on the wheel. Paint is very thin and chips very easily. This is why I installed a clear bra.

Overall I think the 9th gen Corolla is a solid value. Resale value is going to be good and I expect little in the way of problems from the car.

2000 Saturn SL1: Overall score A-

I bought the car with 48K on it and now at 105,000. I have spent a total of 300 bucks on repairs in that time. A tie rod end and a wheel bearing. That's it. Oil consumption is extremely low (0-6 ounces per 3K).

Gas mileage has averaged 35 city/42-45 mpg highway.

Car is extremely simple to work on with basic tools. Parts are everywhere and there are tons of videos to help you fix anything that might come up.

Car starts without being plugged in in temps I have had it in down to -25F. Has never failed to start in sub-zero environments. Handles snow extremely well. I've driven it many times through 8-10" of unplowed snow and this little car trudges right through it with decent tires.

Clutch is very durable, but is far from a smooth engagement. Most annoying part of the car.

Overall I love this car. One of the most reliable and cheapest car to operate I have ever owned. My cousin has the exact same car, but with an automatic tranny and he has 270,000 miles on his with little maintenance and pretty hard driving.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
1996 Cherokee 4.0

A. Most reliable, least expensive vehicle to own that I've ever had, or heard of anybody I know having. Not the most stable thing on ice and during heavy rain, but that 4.0 is a great engine.

2009 Jeep Patriot

A- Like it very well, AWD does excellent in snow, ice, and slippery stuff. 24 mpg around here, 31 on my most recent highway trip.
The engine is not a 4.0, to be sure, but if it's in the right gear at the right time, it's quick enough. Thank G0D I got a 5-speed. I didn't like the CVT at all.

+1 on Jeep's 4.0. I sold a 92 Cherokee with 217K on it to a relative. The Jeep has seen extremely hard mileage and wasn't maintained well at all. Last I checked that motor is still getting that family around very reliably with 250K on the vehicle. You cannot kill that motor.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Cartier:

A+

The car is a tank, but gets decent gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it. It has been the epitome of reliability for the 18 years we've owned it. Comfortable, good factory stereo, and a dream on the highway.

2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer:

A-

Comfortable, seating position is fantastic, mirrors are good, auto-dimming is useful. Steering is predictable, handling is decent for an SUV. Seems to eat tires (though that may be my driving) and gas mileage isn't too hot at 11/18. But it will go through several feet of snow with ease and confidence, and towing performance is fantastic.

2002 VW Jetta. C+

The overall feel of the car is nice and solid, the steering is just right not too tight or loose. Trunk is fairly large for a small car. Visibility at certain spots is so-so. 2.0L engine is not very powerful, considering that its an old engine design its reliable. Okay fuel economy for freeway but not so good in city. Rear seat okay for 2 people but 3 is a squeeze.

1994 Acura Integra. B+

Very responsive throttle. The 1.8L engine with the 5 speed manual feels like a very good combination. Hatchback makes it very versitile, can carry large items with the rear seat folded down. Good fuel economy. The rear can only sit 2 people. Clutch pedal feel is not the best but I get used to it.

1992 Toyota Camry. B

Very roomy for both front and rear, can sit 3 in the back comfortably. The 2.2L engine has good engine response even with more than 200,000 miles and counting. Fuel economy is good for it size. Ride feels a bit floating and steering feel is loose and sloppy. Brakes okay but some fade when making long stops.

1993 Nissan Sentra: A+ based on quality and reliability. Middling performance though. I still enjoy driving it even though it is outdated but I don't see ever getting rid of it.

2005 Nissan Frontier: B becasue quality is iffy. Fantastic performance though and I love it.

2004 Nissan Xterra XE - B

While the Xterra is very roomy, has been very reliable since taking ownership in March I give it a B due to very poor gas mileage and poor performance/power. If your going to eat gas, give me power. If your going to give me power, eat gas. Don't eat gas and have a 180hp V6. The truck will move with WOT but you'd expect more(heck the Jeep 4.0L is 20hp more and smaller!).

Vehicle OEM shocks have poor longevity(20-25k from reports), upgraded to Bilstein's and the ride is very good, keeps the wheels planted on the road.

It's quite difficult to rank cars with a single grade but here it goes:

2003 BMW Z4 - A
The good: Awesome looks, good power, is a roadster.
The bad: The plastics squeak after I treated them with a plastic cleaner so it's annoying with the top up. The cost of potential repairs and parts is scary. The exhaust is noisy and the tires are low profile and noisy- it's a sport car but I would have preferred a quieter ride.

2003 Honda Civic - A+
The good: Great economy, comfortable on long trips, easy and cheap to maintain.
The bad: It gets noisy above 80 MPH. Flaky dashboard - twice the gauges went dead during the past 6 years of ownership.

1995 Honda Civic - A
The good: Great economy, easy and cheap to maintain, can drive for up to 800 miles non stop without comfort issues.
The bad: It's a clunker due to age and has a few rust spots.

2002 BMW 530i: C+

The good: classic good looks, good engine, decent handling (considering it's a family sedan)
The bad: major money pit. Seems that all I do is fix this thing, even though I don't drive it much. When one thing gets fixed, another one goes. Initially it was electrical/electronics. Now it's all sorts of leaks (coolant, power steering, oil). If I ever get another BMW (and that's a big IF), it'll be with a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty.

2001 Jetta 2.0: B

The good: handling is not too bad, and it's actually pretty reliable
The bad: it feels rather underpowered, engine consumes oil, auto tranny downshifts rather abruptly

1997 Tbird 4.6L v8 with sports package: A
130k miles, not a single repair to date (except MAF replacement done DYI for $30), 27 mpg hwy, full optioned exc. CD player, sports pckg makes it handle better than most cars that are smaller, comfy, reliable, low maintenence costs. max torque of 280 lb/ft coming at 2500 rpm and 70 mph at 2000 rpm is sweet! Looks are almost timeless. excellent speed sensitive steering for a large 3,980 lb car!

bad: in town mpg sucks, but it's a v8; heavy, but that can be a good thing too.
seats could be better, but still comfy enough for long trips.

n746730590_5034079_3709.jpg

2003 Elantra: A+

128 k miles: not a single repair to date (except sun visor bracket); great MPG and all needed options are there; quick enough for us; comfy, quiet ride, low maint. costs, better looking than almost all cars in the category of the time.
heated mirrors standard in an econo car is nice.
bad: headlamp bulbs hard to replace. sunvisors are tiny. steering response could be better, but it's 100x better than a Corolla of the same vintage.

OBX-spr-07211.jpg

Last edited:
05 Ford Crown Victoria 80K miles A+

99 Mercury Grand Marquis 200K miles A+ [last car I had]

88 Lincoln Town Car 300K miles A+ [car before the Grand Marquis]

The other 2 cars we have
05 Ford Crown Victoria and 07 Mercury Grand Marquis both get a A+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back