Somebody dumb down ATF+4 for me please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out why a manual transmission calls for Mopar ATF+4 with 4 oz of Mopar friction modifier? There have been some people using 75w-90 gear oils and other variations but wanted to know how "thin" ATF+4 actually is, compared to the others. Again, why in the world is an ATF called for in a manual trans? Synchros??

Its is an ATF and is thin around 7cst. Most ATF's fall between 5-8cst.

90wt gear oils are usually twice as thick at 15cst.

Why? because that's what the manufacturer called for.

BTW, automaker wants MPG so thin fluid is a start.

I'd like to know what that particular friction modifier is doing.
Making it grab, or making it slip? Most over the counter FMs are used to make things slip and slide, not the best for synchros.

I am convinced that a dedicated modern manual trans oil is superior to ATF in a trans or transaxle. For a bunch of reasons. If there are unusual special needs, like a limited slip, maybe compensations have to be made.

The Mopar FM he seems to be referring to is also used for rear locking diffs, which allows the clutch packs to slip.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
FM usually makes clutches grab, not sue in a transmission situation.

depends on what Sue would be grabbing......
29.gif

Originally Posted By: Dookie
I'm trying to figure out why a manual transmission calls for Mopar ATF+4 with 4 oz of Mopar friction modifier?.... Again, why in the world is an ATF called for in a manual trans? Synchros??

You will never get a satisfactory answer to your question. I'm assuming you're talking about the SRT-4.

I've asked this same question to different people at Mopar Performance and PVO several times and they really have no idea. I've gotten answers saying the FM is for the limited slip even though Quaiffe (the diff. manufacturer) says a torque biasing differential obviously doesn't need FM because there are no clutches. I've gotten answers saying the FM is for the synchros even though the FM wasn't called for in the first year of production or any of the European production versions (delivery truck tranny.) I've gotten answers that the ATF+4 is due to fluid streamlining (one fluid for all trannys) but most of Dodge's other manuals call for a synchromesh fluid. New Venture (tranny's manufacturer) won't officially contradict Mopar but several engineers say they would never use ATF in a manual and ATF was NOT spec'ed by New Venture.

Bottom line, read forums to find out what others are having luck with and run what YOU are comfortable with.

Use ATF+ 4 so as the SRT4 was going down the line they could use the same nozzle to fill the trans. it is called commonality.

Ed Peters discussed this and mentioned that Chrysler used ATF in the old 525 and 555 Getrags back in the day to simplify the process on the lines and to improve cold wether shifting. It did nothing for durability and in 1988 they decided(had to fight off the bean counters) to fill the transaxles with 5w-30 to improve durability( the intermediate shaft on a 555 getrag was over 500$ to replace :)) I would assume some bean counter decided to fill the NVT 350 with ATF to make a fool proof process. if you want to improve the shifting try the Amsoil MTF and never look back. Oh, Ed was the Reliabilty Engineer at Chrysler and he built many of best neon SCCA road race engines and worked on the Shelby and Viper programs so he know what he is talking about.

I would get a bottle or two of Redline MTL it should work great!The MTL is a light thinner then their MT90 and is what is used in vechiles calling for Syncromesh type fluids. I use it in my Toyota which calls for 70W90 GL4-GL5 type fluid. It shifts fantasticly. I use a about 70% MTL and 30%MT90 in mine and it works great.

I know a lot of guys that use Pennzoil Syncromesh in their tranies that called for ATF and none of them have had problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back