Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 8,471 miles, Subaru Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
UOA by Oil Analyzers Inc.
Driving conditions: Oil in use Nov. – June; 7 mile daily commute each way; a couple of days driving on the beach, no mods but spirited driving with a few WOT’s here and there.
19.gif

Oil changed but filter not changed.

My last uoa is here . Sodium dropped nicely so it looks like maybe it was due to my new turbo installation. Lead took a little jump. Make-up oil on this OCI was two quarts! I’m running DEO now.

Comments: Data indicates no abnormal findings; Resample at normal interval; Lubricant change acknowledged

Equipment make: Subaru
Equipment model: 2.5L Turbo
Oil use interval: 8,471
Oil type & Grade: Amsoil SSO 0-W30
Make-up oil added: 2 qts.
Miles on unit: 82,500
Air filter: Amsoil Ea panel filter
Oil filter: Amsoil EaO oil filter

Overall severity of report = 0 normal
SSO; SSO; GC (B-stone)
Iron 11 11 12
Chromium 0 0 1
Nickel 0 0 1
Aluminum 3 3 4
Copper 5 6 7
Lead 10 4 5
Silicon 10 11 14
Sodium 28 90 10
Potassium 2 2 2
Molybdenum 2 1 2
Antimony 0 0 -
Manganese 4 0 0
Lithium 3 0 -
Boron 7 7 2
Magnesium 17 17 587
Calcium 3497 3423 1812
Phosphorus 654 677 873
Zinc 717 755 1106

Lube chg Y
Filter chg N
Fuel Soot Water Vis @ 100C: 10.1 9.6
TBN 4.35 4.01
Oxidation 43 38
Nitration 32 27

Comments?
35.gif

-Dennis

Why did you switch from GC? Just curious. Was oil consumption higher or lower with GC?

Looks pretty good. My preference would be to run a shorter oci,say October/March to get the metals out sooner.

I switched from GC only because I was curious about Amsoil and wanted to see if my wear metals would come down a little. A shorter oci would probably be a good idea!

My highest consumption with GC was 1 qt. in 8k miles.

-Dennis

My guess on the consumption is that it's purely a viscosity issue. You went from nearly 12 cSt oil to 10 cSt oil. Going to DEO should prove to be a good move.

Yeah, oils are sensitive. You can't just be tough on them one day and rough the next. They need time to adjust.

:)

Nice report and good TBN for the run on this engine. Of course, with your consumption that's not miraculous either.

Also, viscosity stability is impressive compared to GC, which obviously dropped a bit.

DEO seems like it'll be fun. I expect to submit my M1 15w50 report from my LGT (3750 mile run) in about a month.

Joe

Dennis - I still cant believe your consumption is that high.
As you know, I've still never lost a drop of the SSO.

I'm very excited to see how the DEO does for you.
Have you thought of or considered using the HDD 5w30 (Series 3000)? I'm wondering how it will compare to the ASL, SSO, & GC...

Originally Posted By: RonJitsu
Have you thought of or considered using the HDD 5w30 (Series 3000)?

The add pack scares me a little.
grin2.gif

-Dennis

1 quart every 4k is high to you guys?

Jeez....my 2006 civic SI consumed 1 quart every 1500 miles until 26k. It's just a cheap and easy way of the engine keeping itself clean :)

Originally Posted By: 09rexwagon
Was your consumption like that from the time you got your FXT?

No, it was never more than 1 qt. in 7,500 miles. I even had some runs on GC without any make-up oil.

Originally Posted By: MtZion
Bluesubie,
you made mention of a new turbo. Was that an upgrade or an oem replacement?

It was on oem replacement at 65k miles due to excessive oil getting past the seals.

I see a few 2.5T's here and there with seal problems, but I've never seen an explanation. The senior master tech at my dealer didn't really have one either.

-Dennis

Last edited:
It will be interesting to determine if you lose MPG with 5-40. I seem to have lost about 2 mpg in my 2009 XT when I switched to Rotella t 5-40.

Gene

Originally Posted By: gene_c
It will be interesting to determine if you lose MPG with 5-40. I seem to have lost about 2 mpg in my 2009 XT when I switched to Rotella t 5-40.

Gene

I don't keep detailed spreadsheets of my fuel economy, but I do seem to have lost 1-2 highway and 2-4 city. Of course, I've also had 2 mpg's difference with only slightly different driving styles. The worst mpg's I've had so far is 16. I was getting 19-20 consistently with the SSO and mainly city driving.

-Dennis

Last edited:
We can finally get some DEO UOA. It's the greatest oil that's never been seen on BITOG much.

At least you're not in the cruel 3750 mile prison that Subbie puts you in with the turbo. Congrats on the escape!!

Is the consumption linear or progressive? You seem to indicate that it's a flat qts/mile deal.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: gene_c

Gene

I don't keep detailed spreadsheets of my fuel economy, but I do seem to have lost 1-2 highway and 2-4 city. Of course, I've also had 2 mpg's difference with only slightly different driving styles. The worst mpg's I've had so far is 16. I was getting 19-20 consistently with the SSO and mainly city driving.

-Dennis

Dennis,

JFYI I did the math on my highway losses with 5-40 as compared to 5-30. Over a 3750 mile change, at $3.00 per gallon the difference was $39.13, I was astounded that 2 mpg would make that much difference. Someone check my math if you will figuring mileage of 23 and 25. So, oil is important in cost savings more than I ever imagined. I believe it's worth dumping the sump for an extra 2 parts per million iron :).

Gene

Gary - I added 1 qt. at 3k into the oci and one at 5,594. Nothing after that, although I was probably down around a half a quart or more at my oil change. I don't know what I would do if I bought a new subie turbo. Probably run whatever was on sale.

Gene - If fuel economy was a big concern, why did you get the turbo? It's fun, isn't it?
grin2.gif
19.gif

cheers3.gif

-Dennis

Whaddya mean? It does everything so easy and 25.5 is great for an SUV even though it is a small one. A
cheers3.gif
nd it is fun
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back