Valvoline DuraBlend 5w20 - Ford Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my used oil analysis back from WIX and all I got was a page with a bunch of numbers on it - no "lab report" or explanations at all. Posting the info hoping someone can decipher the analysis and let me know if there is anything on it that I should be concerned about.

WIX Oil Analysis Report

OIL BRAND: Valvoline
OIL TYPE: Durablend 5w20
SAMPLE DATE: 08/20/2009

TIME ON OIL: 4,930 MILES
VEHICLE MILEAGE: 15,104
VEHICLE: FORD Ranger 4cyl 2.3 Duratec

SPECTROCHEMICAL ANALYSIS (ppm)

12 - IRON
0 - CHROMIUM
0 - LEAD
3 - COPPER
0 - TIN
2 - ALUMINUM
0 - NICKEL
0 - SILVER
13 - SILICON
13 - BORON
140 - SODIUM
10 - MAGNESIUM
2441 - CALCIUM
0 - BARIUM
789 - PHOSPHORUS
861 - ZINC
7 - 861
0 - TITANIUM
0 - VANADIUM
0 - POTASSIUM

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES

N/A - VIS @ 40 C cSt
8.52 - VIS @ 100 C cSt
0 - WATER (% VOL)
N/A - SOOT/SOLIDS (% WT)
NO - COOLANT

Thanks in advance.

That's a lot of calcium for something that isn't a full synthetic.

The Walmart stores here are selling it for $2.87 per quart. That makes it one of the cheaper oils available.

According to Valvoline's data sheets, they've cut the calcium to 1400 ppm and added 400 ppm sodium. They've doen that to all their oils.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
That's a lot of calcium for something that isn't a full synthetic.

The Walmart stores here are selling it for $2.87 per quart. That makes it one of the cheaper oils available.

I had full synthetic in previously, but thought I drained it all out - I paid $4.99/quart at O'Reilly for the DuraBlend, which I thought was pretty high. Walmarts around here don't have the 5w20 for some reason.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
According to Valvoline's data sheets, they've cut the calcium to 1400 ppm and added 400 ppm sodium. They've doen that to all their oils.

Will probably test again in about a month and see if the calcium and sodium levels look different.

Thanks for the input.

I made my own DuraBlend on my last OCI. I had 2 quarts left from a BOGO on Synpower, and mixed it with 2 quarts of Formula Shell.
GOnna run it till late Sept, then fill with Redline 5w20 for the winter.

Quote:
7 - 861

What is that supposed to be? I don't see Moly listed either? What oil filter, air filter and what type of driving habit and how long did it take you to accumulate these miles? Overall a great report especially for a car still breaking in! Another great showing for the "V"

Edit: That quote above is the zinc value right above it. Got it.

Last edited:
[EDIT - Made correction/clarification]

WIX Oil Analysis Report

OIL BRAND: Valvoline
OIL TYPE: Durablend 5w20
SAMPLE DATE: 08/20/2009

TIME ON OIL: 4,930 MILES
VEHICLE MILEAGE: 15,104
VEHICLE: 2008 FORD Ranger 4cyl 2.3 Duratec

SPECTROCHEMICAL ANALYSIS (ppm)

12 - IRON
0 - CHROMIUM
0 - LEAD
3 - COPPER
0 - TIN
2 - ALUMINUM
0 - NICKEL
0 - SILVER
13 - SILICON
13 - BORON
140 - SODIUM
10 - MAGNESIUM
2441 - CALCIUM
0 - BARIUM
789 - PHOSPHORUS
861 - ZINC
7 - MOLYBDENUM
0 - TITANIUM
0 - VANADIUM
0 - POTASSIUM

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES

N/A - VIS @ 40 C cSt
8.52 - VIS @ 100 C cSt
0 - WATER (% VOL)
N/A - SOOT/SOLIDS (% WT)
NO - COOLANT

Originally Posted By: deven
Quote:
7 - 861

What is that supposed to be? I don't see Moly listed either? What oil filter, air filter and what type of driving habit and how long did it take you to accumulate these miles? Overall a great report especially for a car still breaking in! Another great showing for the "V"

Edit: That quote above is the zinc value right above it. Got it.

Moly is the "7" - I just messed things up a bit. Oil filter is a Fram (one without cardboard and glue) PH9566
004-1.jpg
and air filter is also a Fram. Drive about 70% highway/30% city and sometimes I tow a lightly loaded 6x12 U-Haul trailer. And I drive about 15,000 miles/year.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Where did you find that info?

Originally Posted By: YZF_Eric
Why is the moly count so low?

No moly in the Durablend? Maybe residual left over from his last oil change?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: YZF_Eric
Why is the moly count so low?

No moly in the Durablend? Maybe residual left over from his last oil change?

Just sent off another sample using a Wix test kit and I'm curious to see how it did (2,902 mile sample) - 150 mile/day commutes for the past 3 weeks, hauling a 5x8 trailer a lot of the time. I might try using the "wrong oil" at the next oil change...maybe NAPA premium conventional 5w-30 instead of semi-synthetic 5w-20 oil, as recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back