What rustproofing (DIY) is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
where can I get rustproofing? can anyone recommend a good one? ever heard of Noxudol? My body man used to recommend the rustproofing available from Mercedes...

I've been doing a search on rustproofing and have now decided to go with Rust Check. Do a google search on it for a location if you're interested, cost for a car is around $120 to $130.

If doing it yourself I'd go with an oil spray that contains lanolin. Trouble with DIY is you do not know where to drill holes and more than likely have the equipment to spray the material inside the body panels, doors are no problem but what about rocker panels, door posts, back near the trunk and around the gas filler cap, I think you're getting the idea.

For a $125 approx I'd let a pro that has experience and knowledge do it.

Just my 2 cents

Here is what my truck looks like at 3.5 Years and 200K KM (120K Miles) having it done each year at Krown Rust Control. Keep in mind that they salt like crazy up here because of the brutally long and treacherous winters. I don't wash my car until the spring because it's too hard to keep clean and still it looks like new!

1.jpg

rp2.jpg

rp2.jpg

rp9.jpg

Here is what my Dodge Caravan looked like at around 20 years old when it went to the scrap yard after an electrical fire. It had over 460K KM (287K Miles) and was treated with Krown every year since new. This is why I'm a believer.

van1.jpg

van2.JPG

Those pics look good Steve. I researched Krown also but as we have none of them here in the States I'm going with Rust Check. They are somewhat similar right?

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Those pics look good Steve. I researched Krown also but as we have none of them here in the States I'm going with Rust Check. They are somewhat similar right?

Pretty much the same product and application process. I've had good results with both companies over the years. If you only have Rust Check down there, then the choice is an easy one. Good luck.

I've been trying Rust Check spray in a can, and it doesn't seem to do very much and disappears pretty fast. At least it smells nice.

Someone once mentioned Texaco Rustproofing Compound as a product that works well but smells bad.

For a DYI job the Amsoil HD metal protector works well. Where I live due to EPA rules no one is duing rustproofing anymore. There was one guy that did it well, and he's since gone out of business.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
For a DYI job the Amsoil HD metal protector works well. Where I live due to EPA rules no one is duing rustproofing anymore. There was one guy that did it well, and he's since gone out of business.

Someone there should pick up either Krown or Rust Check as they both claim to be environmentally friendly. Rust Check is available all over Indiana.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Same stuff, but the rust check stuff contains a solvent that isn't environmentally friendly and if you stop rust proofing the solvent turns acidic and actually accelerates rust. So IMO Rustcheck is good, but you need to keep up on it so it doesn't turn acidic. The Krown stuff on the other hand is environmentally friendly and solvent free and has a very alkaline PH so it will never turn acidic.

The two guys that started Krown way back when had a fight and the one guy left Krown and started his own rustproofing business called Rust Check. (true story that I thought I would share)

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
I've been trying Rust Check spray in a can, and it doesn't seem to do very much and disappears pretty fast. At least it smells nice. ...

They sell 2 products, one is a pentrating fluid (red can) and one is a rust-proofing product (green can) I sprayed some of it on my Neon's fuel/brake lines which were getting a little dry and it is still there after 2 years and nice and thick.

20307643.jpg

Stevie,
I looked at Krown's website
http://www.krown.com/
since rust is only studied in the foreign studies department here.

The prices are amazingly low for what they do. The guys doing it must be well trained and efficient to be able to do cars for not all that much over $100, and Canadian $ at that.

Yup... They are excellent at what they do, and have to go through yearly certification to keep current on the new vehicles and their "problem" spots so that effective rust proofing is done.

I really can't say enough good about Krown. All the locations I have been to have been excellent in keeping my vehicles looking their best.

They sell their stuff by the can if you wish to try and do it yourself. I think it's called T-40.

Check out their marine and industrial coatings too. Appears to have a 3-10 yr service rating. I've never seen that stated in a product before.

You guys want to see something funny - go to the website and watch all the videos in the applications section.

Last edited:
Oil is the only way to stop rust. I have 35 years experience with this, and I do my own undercoating now. 4 liters of dripless oil costs $16 and does 2 cars. This stuff is so good you only need it every 2-3 years. I bought my own gun for $15

[image]
Monarch005.jpg
[/image]

[image]
Monarch009.jpg
[/image]

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my 10 year old truck taken last week at a campsite. The product I use is like the Rust Check "Green" Spray can, but more durable. I does ooze of cracks a bit and I have to wipe it off twice a year or so...
[image]
cc043.jpg

[/image]

Last edited:
All this spray on oil "dripless or otherwise" seem to be unavailable here in the States except for Rust Check. Can't even find a source to buy the oil here to apply it yourself.

Of course just why do we need it here as we get the $4500 credit called cash for clunkers. What a joke.

Check with a local oil distributor, they may have it. That's the only place that it can be bought here as well. This stuff is almost like a spray on grease, but it does "creap" over time and gets into small spaces. You could spray on motor oil, but it will drip and is messy.

My brake and fuel lines are still like new after 10 years, as they have been coated with the stuff

Last edited:
I have 27 years experience using Texaco Rustproof Compound L. One car in the family is 19 years old with this treatment. I never drill holes. I remove the door panels to spray the inside.

The Texaco Rustproof compound is lanolin-based, just like Krown. The only way to get it is to order it from your area's Texaco supplier. The smallest order would be a 5-lb pail for roughly $100. Commercial rustproofers spray it on thinly. When I do it myself I can spray the entire contents on one car.

Bluestream, I bought myself a Shutz gun like you have, but I don't have any empty Shutz containers. Any recommendations on where I can get one?

Kestas, I found a Rust Check large can at Canadian Tire, and the can fit on my gun perfectly. These cans are made for people who have their own gun. It cost about $12 but included the Rust check oil. Any place that sells rust check may have the large cans. If you can't find anything PM me and I will get one for you.

The only place I had to drill was in front of the rear wheel well were there is a seal area on Ford Explorers that is prone to rust. Any place that drills a bunch of holes should be avoided

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back