Motorcraft FL-820S magnet trappings

Status
Not open for further replies.
1996 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, 4.6L SOHC V8.

This filter was installed at 134,123 miles, and removed at 136,385 miles. The magnets (from old hard drives) were attached when it was installed. The oil used was Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage, and 4oz of Auto RX. Only 2,262 miles on the oil and filter when the filter was removed.

I took this filter off of my car because the oil pressure had been staying below 50%. I replaced it with a Purolator PureONE PL24651.

FL-820S%20magnets.jpg

FL-820S%20magnet%20trappings.jpg

That is WAY too much metal for my liking, especially after such a short period of time. The magnets were put on the dome end of the filter, where there is very little oil flow due to the base end bypass. The dome end of the filter element is completely sealed off, unlike the PureONE, which has its bypass valve located there.

The magnets had been previously used on another FL-820S, but the oil used was Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20, and it was run 4,855 miles. There was barely any fuzz showing on that filter when I cut it open, despite the oil having been run more than twice as long, and the time frame included the tail end of a Montana winter. I'm wishing now that I had taken a picture of this filter for comparison, but there was such a small amount of metallic debris trapped by the magnets that I didn't think it was worth taking a picture of.

The hard drives magnets seems to be a very good solution, it costs nothing (if you have old hard drive laying around) and it does trap a lot of metal particles.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
So is your assumption that this is new wear caused by the use of M1, or that this is old wear cleaned up by M1?

What's trapped by the magnets is iron and other magnetic material caused by wear. If it was "wear cleaned up by the M1", then where was this magnetic material hiding during the last run with PP and the same magnets? Looks like new wear action going on to me.

The OP mentioned abnormal oil pressure ... maybe something is going out on this engine.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Was their AutoRX used in the PP run too?

That was going to be my question.

Quote:
The magnets were put on the dome end of the filter, where there is very little oil flow due to the base end bypass. The dome end of the filter element is completely sealed off, unlike the PureONE, which has its bypass valve located there.

How is this mounted?

Leave the magnet attached and spray it down with brake clean or carb cleaner. I think it will change your opinion. Thinking more about it. I'd first do carb cleaner to remove the oil ..then use hot water to remove any Auto-Rx. That sure looks like molasses brown Auto-rx to me.

Oddly, the only time I didn't have a small beard on my magnetic drain plug (Caravan) was when I changed out a clean phase sump. Maybe the magnet was too weak, but the graphite like metal was pushed off of it.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Was their AutoRX used in the PP run too?

That was going to be my question.

Quote:
The magnets were put on the dome end of the filter, where there is very little oil flow due to the base end bypass. The dome end of the filter element is completely sealed off, unlike the PureONE, which has its bypass valve located there.

How is this mounted?

Leave the magnet attached and spray it down with brake clean or carb cleaner. I think it will change your opinion. Thinking more about it. I'd first do carb cleaner to remove the oil ..then use hot water to remove any Auto-Rx. That sure looks like molasses brown Auto-rx to me.

Oddly, the only time I didn't have a small beard on my magnetic drain plug (Caravan) was when I changed out a clean phase sump. Maybe the magnet was too weak, but the graphite like metal was pushed off of it.

The filter is mounted horizontally. The magnet that is offset was on the bottom when it was attached to the car.

Interesting effect. The bottom (dead end "side", in this case) should see the lowest refresh rate of fluid.

See if you can bend those magnets to fit the side of the can. I wonder if they would bend or break. Heck, tape them on the side of the filter. See if yo get a butt load more or about the same.

Otherwise - There you have it, folks. Bona fide BITOG PROOF that M1 is dissolving the Fe in your engine a little bit at time.
shocked2.gif

This should prove to anyone that Amsoil is the clear choice for customers not only with distinctive taste in oils ..but with concern for their engine's health.
grin2.gif

I've still got the can with the magnets attached. I'm going to rinse it out with some lacquer thinner, then a gentle rinse with some hot soapy water and see how much of the trappings are washed away.

That is an odd shape for the particles. The magnetic fields are really weird there I guess.

That cleaned up picture looks neat.

Last edited:
On most of the pics I've seen of particles inside a filter, they're usually right around the outside edge of the magnet.

See? It doesn't look so bad now ...or at least AS bad.

Now if you see the same thing again ..with M1 .....

45.gif

Good job on the cleaning and the images.
thumbsup2.gif

If there were no magnets installed,I wonder if the filter would have trapped those particles anyway, and there would be no evidence of excess iron wear?

Actually magnets are strongest at the ends of a bar or horseshoe magnet. That could explain the greatest amount of filings at the edges/ends of the magnets.
21.gif

Quote:
If there were no magnets installed,I wonder if the filter would have trapped those particles anyway, and there would be no evidence of excess iron wear?
I've wondered the same thing.

Last edited:
When I saw this post at work, I dug some dead HDs out of the scrap bin and ripped them apart and put two of them on the filter in my WRX....we'll see what it looks like in 1800 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back