Valvoline's Oil Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
They warranty your engine against "oil failure" for 150,000 on the cheap stuff (dino) and 300,000 for the good stuff (syn).
So, if SM oils are problematic on older vehicles (cam wear, which is mentioned often here, let's say) doesn't this argue for the robustness of SM oils?

Call me a sucker, but I heard their ad and it eased my mind a bit about the issue of SL vs. SM oils. (By the way, by no means am I saying this closes the issue or ends the debate.)

http://www.engineguarantee.com/display_page?page=guarantee_details_150k&locale=en_US#filingAClaim

Any SM oil will protect a flat-tappet engine from excess wear if changed at 3K mile (5K KM) OCI's IMO. It's going any further than that that is a problem.

(Eg: Taking a flat tappet cam engine to 5K miles (8K KM) on today's dino's like you can on any other engine without flat tappets)

Sure the ZDDP has fallen in today's oil versus yesterdays, but the technology and other additive packs got way better and help to keep the OCI for Flat-Tappet engines at the same time of 3K Mile (5K KM) OCI's IMO, it just going further than that is a problem.

This is ok, because the quick-lube industry is having a hard time parting with their 3K Mile OCI's anyways!

grin2.gif

Steve

Last edited:
For the warranty to be in effect, Valvoline wants you to change oil every 3000 miles (4000 max including the 1000 mile "grace"). They even require the same 3000 mile OCI with the full synthetic. Of course there shouldn't be any oil related failures with those kind of OCIs.

It's more of a ploy to sell more oil if everone is doing 3k OCIs.
wink.gif

Read the warranty a little closer and you will find that its almost impossible to collect on:
1) the engine must be "dead"
2) not only must you follow 3k oci's, but ALL maintenance.
3) they will pay up to 5k OR blue book on your car

I think they had their actuary figure it out. How many on average people will keep their car, for how long, what is the frequency of oil related failures with today's modern engineering (close to 0%).
So they basically have a sure thing. The likelihood of you collecting is miniscule. Because synthetic oil costs more, the profit is higher, so you are buying a more expensive insurance policy. If you change you oil every 3k with synthetic, they KNOW that your engine will most likely last 4-500,000 miles. And even if it fails at 200,000 miles, probably you will have sold or traded your vehicle by then, or nice Mr. Obama will have had it destroyed as a clunker, or it will have rusted out. The actuaries know all the exact figures and statistics.

They are betting on a sure thing. That's called a sucker bet.

It is good strategy by Valvoline though, it creates a real sense that THEIR oil is clearly premium, and they CANNOT risk selling a substandard product. So in a sense, they are putting their money where their mouth is, and people admire something like that.
Me, on the other hand, I see through the ploy, and just buy SuperTech or NAPA synthetic, or MC semisynth, or YB, or GB, or Shell synthetic, or whatever is being sold as a loss leader. If you are one of those people who change oil frequently (like myself), now you are stuck with brand loyalty, you cannot shop bargains, you have to keep all your receipts and records, etc. etc. etc. I prefer to "insure myself" by driving my vehicle sensibly, not abusing it, and maintaining it properly.

From what i can gather the program is designed to accomplish two things: 1 is more oil changes per year. the average motorist changes their oil just under 3 times a year and valvoline figures that if they get everyone to change it 4 times per year at most then they're putting more cars in their bays. Second is that if the consumer can maintain their engine why not the other systems? why only maintain one system instead of all? Also if you read the fine print they have to get your engine in working order in less than 5000.00 when they can purchase most engines from advance for under that. just my two cents.

Another thing in the fine print is the conventional is only covered for 150,000 miles. Pennzoil and Quaker State cover for 250,000 and you only have to change every 4,000.

Like most if not all oil company warranties, it's not worth the paper it's written on. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back