Castrol SLX Professional 4718M (only in Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had time to check if there is a VOA for the SLX Longtec or even just for Castrol Syntec...for comparison purposes:

Anyways here are the #s for the only Castrol oil which is certified as true 4718M.

5W30

Aluminum- 1
Chromium- 0
Iron- 2
Copper- 1
Lead- 0
Tin- 2
Moly- 88
Nickel- 0
Manganese-0
Silver- 0
Potassium-0
Boron- 45
Silicon- 4
Sodium- 1
Calcium- 2748
Magnesium-11
Phosph- 642
Zinc- 790
Barium- 0

SUS Visc. 210- 58.1
cST Visc. 100- 9.67
Flashpoint- 410
Insolubles- TR
TBN- 11.8

Thanks for doing that!

This looks EXACTLY like Syntec 5W-30 - a very thin 5W-30 (Syntec is 9.7 cst) with a decent add-pack.

I actually thought that to meet 4718M, this oil would have to be thicker - closer to 10.5-11.00 cst, to handle heat.

Looks good, but definetly NOT worth paying the extra premium for it! GM dealerships are really trying to hose owners of high-end cars by getting them to pay a premium for what is also the same as regular Syntec!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Looks good, but definetly NOT worth paying the extra premium for it!

I had picked up a case of this SLX as this particular Pontiac dealership 'discounted' it to $9.25 per litre bottle. Generally the going rate is $11.95.

Yeah...if you search, you can get Syntec on sale for a lot less than that. Heck, if you have a Costco membership, they sell 6-packs for around $6-$7/litre, the last time I checked.....

Of course, Syntec isn't actually '4718M certified'....

unless the base oils are vastly different.

But isn't that likely where the difference must be for the SLX to officially meet GM's 4718 standard and the Syntec to not?

Of course, Syntec isn't actually '4718M certified'....

I'm starting to think the SLX OE oils are a work-around of the royalties for spec certification.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but royalties are often per gallon or litre. Wouldn't it bring down to the cost to bottle an oil with a single specific cert, rather than pay out for a dozen specs?

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
kinda looks like edge?

Maybe but given that EDGE is also available in Canada does it make sense to also have a rebadged EDGE?
21.gif

Hi Guys, i'm new here... we just had a 3-day cold weather (!) session here in Montreal (Canada). My 2005 TDI Jetta engine chewed up the starter as the oil was really viscous at -30C temperatures. did not even crank one full revolution and the starter went up in smoke... Can someone tell me if the Castrol 5W30 SLX is really suitable for cold weather or is it better for me to stick to other brands more suitable for cold cranking...
thanks
Marekkk

Originally Posted By: marekkk
Hi Guys, i'm new here... we just had a 3-day cold weather (!) session here in Montreal (Canada). My 2005 TDI Jetta engine chewed up the starter as the oil was really viscous at -30C temperatures. did not even crank one full revolution and the starter went up in smoke... Can someone tell me if the Castrol 5W30 SLX is really suitable for cold weather or is it better for me to stick to other brands more suitable for cold cranking...
thanks
Marekkk

What oil is in your TDI now?

Originally Posted By: marekkk
Can someone tell me if the Castrol 5W30 SLX is really suitable for cold weather or is it better for me to stick to other brands more suitable for cold cranking...

As most of us consider this Canada only Castrol as just rebadged Castrol EDGE for sure this oil can hold up to anything found in a Montreal l'hiver
08.gif

Hi. I'M originally from Montreal - now in Dallas, TX.

This is your answer & from what I remember VERY easy to find.

Total Quartz Energy 9000, 0W30

Voila, C'est resolu!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back