Lexus own-brand oil in the Middle East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota supply their own "special blend" of motor oil in the Persian Gulf - the Toyota oil being a conventional 20W-50, and the Lexus being a full synthetic 5W-40. The supplier of both products is the Sharjah National Lube Oil Company in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates.

The Toyota oil hasn't been of interest to me, but the Lexus-branded oil is actually the cheapest full synthetic available on the market ($4.50 per litre). I could be wrong when I say it could be because most other synthetics meet ACEA specifications and this only meets API SM, but Mobil 1 15W-50 is on the same boat with no ACEA or manufacturer specifications, and it costs $11 per litre.

Having said that, I decided to give this oil a try. I've now put 2,500 km (1,600 miles) on this oil and I'm impressed. Not sure what sort of add pack it has, or if there's any "high mileage" content in it or something along the lines, but the engine is running very smooth and it's barely burned under 250 ml (valve guides shot, used to add a full litre every 2,500 km). If I'm not looking at the tach, I have to tap the gas to "make sure" the engine hasn't stalled. Any noise in the higher rpm range has also completely disappeared. I thought this was more like something in my head, but my father also said the same thing - asking if ARX or any other additive has anything to do with it. I just added the usual 90 ml maintenance dose of ARX, like like I always do. Usually when new oil is put in, these symptoms disappear after a couple of hundred kilometres. I have to say I'm very impressed with this oil.
thumbsup2.gif

I contacted the suppliers, and they said I would need to contact Lexus for information on viscosity at 40 C/100 C, VI and TBN. When I contacted the dealership, all I was told was it's "special oil for Lexus, very good oil"...which doesn't mean sheet. The supplier produces their own 5W-40 full synthetic, but the specs do not match (SL/CF vs SM, etc.).

Unfortunately, there are no VOA/UOA facilities available locally for me to find out myself either, and I am curious. I was wondering if anybody here works for Toyota/Lexus and if it is possible to access product information on their global product range. If not, it looks like by the end of this OCI, I'm going to be sending a UO and VO sample for analysis.

For the record, this is the said product:

lexus-oil-1.jpg

lexus-oil-2.jpg

lexus-oil-5.jpg

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I wonder what 100% virgin base oil means.
I would probably be banned for my comment on this, but you get the picture.

Falcon, thanks for posting a picture... I will talk to my brother at MIT who used to work at Lexus/Toyota's plan here in Cambridge, ON and see if he knows anything.

cheers3.gif

Thanks, Steve!
thumbsup2.gif

Johnny, Happy Birthday!
grin2.gif
I was wondering the exact same thing. I thought it meant they were using a Group III base, but it wasn't. Bit of research revealed "virgin base" basically means the oil is not made from recycled, used oil. I was told, by law, that you are required to label whether the lubricant is made from recycled oil or "virgin" oil.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Those bottles looks like Mobil bottle caps. IMO this is another XOM packaged specialty oil.

It's produced by an entirely different company. But maybe they sourced their POA content from XOM.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I wonder what 100% virgin base oil means.

It means that it hasn't been . . . oh, nevermind.

Actually, I was wondering about what "genuine" means. Really, why bother. If I'm going to counterfeit your oil, do you think I'm going to be a sport and label it "Counterfeit Lexus Motor Oil"? Or be less of a sport, and just not say "genuine"??? I just hate this usual bottle blather. Wish they'd list usable specs like cSt, base oils used, nature of additive chemistry and such. Yeah, I know -- won't be holding my breath.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Actually, I was wondering about what "genuine" means. Really, why bother. If I'm going to counterfeit your oil, do you think I'm going to be a sport and label it "Counterfeit Lexus Motor Oil"? Or be less of a sport, and just not say "genuine"??? I just hate this usual bottle blather. Wish they'd list usable specs like cSt, base oils used, nature of additive chemistry and such. Yeah, I know -- won't be holding my breath.

Genuine is a HUGE thing in this market. They make money simply by using that term alone. Quick example...put a Denso oil filter and a Toyota (Denso) oil filter side by side. If the Toyota box says "Genuine Toyota" on it, people will buy it - even if both filters are exactly the same. People are willing to pay the premium. To me it's plain stupidity, and I don't know what all the hype is about...but it's doing very well in this market.

For the record; I used to buy Denso oil filters for $1.80, when the Toyota version is sold for $4.50. The same filter, packaged differently for less than half the price.

Falcon, you bought Denso oil filter because you're a smart consumer and you're a member of BITOG. A majority of consumers do not know much and don't bother to search, they bought into marketing and "genuine" means the best money can buy to them.

Many MB owners paid full retail price (some time more) for spark plugs at MB dealers because it has MB logo on the boxes, I paid less than 1/3 for the exact Bosch plugs online. I don't care if the plugs come with tri-stars logo or not.

HTSS, you hit the nail in the head. You don't need an auto manufacturer's logo on your parts as a mark of quality. I suppose not having the time to cross reference parts is a major factor, but there are quite a few savings to be made.

My Montero, for instance, has a Hyundai clone known as the Galloper (basically a Gen I Montero). Majority of the mechanical parts are exchangeable, and I usually check with both before buying parts, after I confirm that it fits. Where the Mitsubishi PCV valve costs $24, the same part with a Hyundai logo goes for $6.80. Mitsubishi dealer's asking $10 for a radiator cap, Hyundai dealer sells it for $3.40. Shock absorbers are supplied by KYB, so I buy directly from them at a fraction of the price. I think cross referencing can work wonders!
grin2.gif

Ok I just got an e-mail back from my brother. The contents of the base oil and the additive package is provided by XOM to Lexus/Toyota. As for the formulation difference between this and off the shelf M1 products, this is a trade secret and can't be easily obtained (No surprise there).

What I can tell you without releasing too much information is that my brother says that Toyota spent a lot of time tuning the additive package in this oil to give the utmost performance for their Lexus lineup and it should be a very highly regarded oil, if not one of the best on the market IHO.

They used it in a few test-bench engines and real-world drivers for the course of a year and kept tuning it through analysis reports until it was just right.

As technology in their engines change they re tune the oil to continue to offer the best in performance.

Hope that helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back