98 ford explorer 4.0L sohc with rattle when warm

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 I have a Malibu (I know, completely different animal) that has a light timing chain rattle at idle (in drive) when hot. But it's not near as complex as your 4.0; I can fix it for around $250 (my labor). I can't believe how much it would cost to change the chains on your truck..that's nuts. I'd drive it till it's dead or sell soon before the noise gets worse, as previously suggested.

I have the same engine as you. It is likely the primary timing chain tensioner. You don't need to do all 4 chains in all likelyhood. Ford has an update kit for this engine with a better tensioner and a new chain. (special tool needed for install) I have the kit and am putting it in this summer. It's a good engine, the 97 and 98 models were less robust with plastic chain guides falling apart. Go to explorer forums and search "timing chain rattle" and you find your answer...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anies
Thats horrible. Why design an engine that requires such a repair at such a ridiculous price?

I don't think they planned it that way...This engine was a conversion from the old OHV block. Not the best idea, they should have started from scratch and designed a new engine. I guess it was cheaper to do this. Too bad they turned a lot of loyal customers off. ALthough they did install the update for anyone still under warranty. The rest of us are SOL

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Yeah get rid of it.

I have not heard of one of these timing chains breaking at any time though, they just rattle, and it gets worse and worse.

You might want to unload it before it starts sounding very loud, then no one will want it.

Oh, they break plenty...just try and trade in one of those trucks with that engine. You're lucky to get anything for it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Yeah get rid of it.

I have not heard of one of these timing chains breaking at any time though, they just rattle, and it gets worse and worse.

You might want to unload it before it starts sounding very loud, then no one will want it.

Oh, they break plenty...just try and trade in one of those trucks with that engine. You're lucky to get anything for it

Well, I think we are going to do just that. Trade it in. My wife has diven Volvos, Lexus and Toyota SUVs and seems to really like 2006/2007 Lexus RX 330/350s and the 2008 Highlander.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Thats horrible. Why design an engine that requires such a repair at such a ridiculous price?

I don't think they planned it that way...This engine was a conversion from the old OHV block. Not the best idea, they should have started from scratch and designed a new engine. I guess it was cheaper to do this. Too bad they turned a lot of loyal customers off. ALthough they did install the update for anyone still under warranty. The rest of us are SOL

Mine had the tensioner update at about 80,000 but do not believe it had a chain or guides replaced.

Most of these engines have had the tensioner replaced under the TM0012 owner notification program. This tensioner is for start up rattle only and is for the left camshaft chain. It is easy to replace and can be seen by the intake manifold. The more severe problem is the primary timing chain. It runs from the crankshaft to the jackshaft The jackshaft drives the chains for both camshafts, most other SOHC engines do not have this shaft, but this was an OHV engine conversion and it was needed to keep the engineering simple and low cost. This chain tensioner is a weak link and will cause the chain to rattle (mostly when cold, but can be at anytime) This is a bigger job and requires the front of the engine to come off.

The right side timing chain has not been a big problem for most people but it does require the engine to come out for replacement, and the dealer in this case is being prudent and cautious by replacing them all. Not worth spending that kind of money on an old truck inmy opionion

Last edited:
One more thing...you may have a failed tensioner on your left (drivers) camshaft chain. This is the one Ford replaced under TM0012, but they don't last forever. If you remove the valve cover you can see the tensioner/guide. If this tensioner has become weak, you can change it fairly easily, and for $50 part you can be back on the road. ALso, the left tensioner (not the chain) can be changed throung the wheel well opening. You need to find the area where the noise is located if you can

Most of these engines have had the tensioner replaced under the TM0012 owner notification program. This tensioner is for start up rattle only and is for the left camshaft chain. It is easy to replace and can be seen by the intake manifold. The more severe problem is the primary timing chain. It runs from the crankshaft to the jackshaft The jackshaft drives the chains for both camshafts, most other SOHC engines do not have this shaft, but this was an OHV engine conversion and it was needed to keep the engineering simple and low cost. This chain tensioner is a weak link and will cause the chain to rattle (mostly when cold, but can be at anytime) This is a bigger job and requires the front of the engine to come off.

The right side timing chain has not been a big problem for most people but it does require the engine to come out for replacement, and the dealer in this case is being prudent and cautious by replacing them all. Not worth spending that kind of money on an old truck inmy opionion

Thank you for your advice. Any idea of the time and cost to do the front timing chains, guides and tensioners?

Ford was paying dealers 6.1 hours of labour for warranty to insatll the update kit. (see ford TSB 04-15-4) Part number for kit is 2U3Z-6D256-CA. A Ford tech can easily do the job in that time. My dealer told me thEY want 10 hours to do this job. I know they can do it in less, so i'm doing it myself.

6.1 hours was a big FU to the techs. The right tensioner is accessable from the wheelwell. The left tensioner requires removal of the upper intake (super easy) to get at it.

Punisher, sounds like you have personal experience working on these engines??

11 years in a Ford dealership will do that to you. Thankfully my specialty was engine performance and electrical, so my hands didn't get dirty too often. I replaced a lot of intake o-rings on 4.0 SOHCs(lean codes/rough idle)and did the tensioner replacement on a few................dozen to save another tech the hassle. Didn't want anyone else taking apart what I had just fixed either.

Punisher, Did you ever see any of the timing chain failures on the 4.0L SOHC?

I always wondered they rattle more when cold that when warm. Mine will rattle like crazy all winter long, then very little in the summer...

got an estimate from another ford dealer to replace the front timing chains, guides and tensioners for $1100. Might consider if i can be sure the rear chain is ok.

new estimate from even another ford dealer. Just to do the rear timing chain, guide and tensioners. it was about $2,400 for parts and 20 hours of labor. Gets better and better.

Originally Posted By: Russell
got an estimate from another ford dealer to replace the front timing chains, guides and tensioners for $1100. Might consider if i can be sure the rear chain is ok.

Thats not a bad price. (engine does not need to come out for front chain only) MY Ford dealer did not seem eager to do this job for me. I think on an older engine you should also be prepared if they find something un-expected in there. Like the chain or tensioner on the balance shaft. These are very fragile and if it need replacing as well, the engine needs to be lifted and the oil pan removed. Be prepared to spend more $$$$

Last edited:
Got a price of $1,400 from an independent shop to replace front and rear chains, cassettes/guides and tensioners. They will remove the motor. May just do it.

Shop is one of those places that been around 20 years with little advertising. Shop looks tired and in an old industrial part of town. BBB has no complaints and calls around are complimentary. The will use Ford and Motorcraft parts. 12/12 warrenty. They want 3-4 days for the job. Opinions? Anything to watch for?

thats a pretty good price, hopefully they know what they are doing with that motor. we have sold all the chains and cassettes to shops in the past, only to have the vehicle towed in so our techs can redo the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back