02 Miata, 10043, 125k total, M1 0w20 vs 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Considering the consumption and the cost of M1, the 0w40 was probably more cost effective. Was there any difference in mileage? That would of course figure into the determination as to final cost.

Regardless, nice OCI, nice engine.

there was a mileage difference, of almost 10%, but i put that as much to the change to LRR tires (which happened just before the 0w20 run) as to the oil. cause and effect, but change two variables, and you get questions... however, even with a 10% increase in mileage, on a purely economic basis, the 0w40 was still a better oil. the 0w20 was a more drivable oil, as the high rev'ing miata engine would rev even more freely with the lighter oil in it.

i may go back to the 0w40 in this one, it is soon to be the wife's car, i just bought an 04 MSM miata, which with the turbo i will be sticking with 0w40 or Delvac1.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Looks like straight 40wt would be the recommendation for Texas. LOL.

or the 20w50...
cool.gif

i took 3 trips to dallas with this oil during this run, that didn't seem to bother it. however, if i lived in west texas, i think i would be back to the 0w40.

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
johnny,

well, that is an interesting question. in the US manual they want you to use ONLY 5w30 (5w20 on the post 05 model year, different engine). several of us on miata.net went to the AUS miata clubs, and got a copy of the Aussie oil viscosity recommendations. while we figured they would be untainted by CAFE regs, i had not figured on the Aussie propensity for heavy oils.

in any event here it is,

AUS oil vis chart

as you can see, there is a wide variation of oils that the Australians can use, the 20wt oils are right in the thick of it. the real question i want to know is why are 20w20 (there IS such a thing???) and straight 20wt only good to 100F, while 5w20 is good to ~115F? inquiring minds want to know...

of course, all of this is for dino, so synthetics should do better.

Oh those crazy Aussies are alway mudding up the water.
grin2.gif

Try the Mobil 1 0W-30, I bet it would work well in your car.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
"Thicker is better" died way back when.

actually, my thoughts on the 0w40 were not so much about the thinner vis, i had the additive package and base oil in mind.

0w40 meets MB229.5, Porsche, GM7814M, BMW LL, VW 502.00/505.00/503.01, and is widely rumored to be the only thing besides kryptonite that superman is afraid of.

0w20 meets Ford WSS-M2C930-A and Chrysler MS-6395, the later being a spec i wasn't even aware of until i looked on the M1 page.

on paper at least, looking at the two, i would have thought 0w40 would have left 0w20 in the gutter on a 10k OCI. i realize that some of the factory specs wouldn't have let 0w20 play just because of the vis, but still...

a chance to compare M1 0w40 with 0w20. the latter had 1 quart of makeup and was a qt low when the oil was changed and the sample taken. the 0w40 had a 1/4 qt of makeup. ...

... in this car at least, i would have to wonder what the reason would be to go back to 0w40, instead of if i should stay with the 0w20. ...

i may go back to the 0w40 in this one, it is soon to be the wife's car...

Sorry to dredge this one back up, but I'm looking for something to recommend in a friend's '06 Miata. For her, the single biggest issue would be maintaining the oil level. If the 0W-20 loses 64 oz over 10k mi & the 0W-40 loses only 8 oz over 10k mi, "which oil to use?" is easily answered.

The difference between the two are so small they are all in the noise level of the testing being done. It looks like either M1 product will work just fine for you. Did you get any better fuel economy with the 0W20 over the 0W40? If so what was the difference?

I think everyone knows that M1 0W40 shears to a 30 weight with in abut 1200-1500 miles. I know I put it in just about every post I make about M1 0W40 and it was mentioned a bunch of times over the last 3 years or so! So the shearing should not come as a suprise to you Pablo that is old news with reguard to M1 0W40. IN fact I often cite this as a reason for only usein git in applications where you would feel comfortable running a 30wt. because it is not a true 40wt. and doesnot hold it's viscosity at all. Then again RTS 5W40 shear's more then I would like too but it does not seem to cause any wear related to shearing so all is good.

I would be more concerned with a 20 grade thickening to a 30 drade then a 40wt. droping to a 30wt.! In fact Amsoils oils often thicken in the past out of grade on extended oil changes. So I am sure this is why you did not mention the 20Wt. thickening as it behaved much like Amsoil products! What would be cool to see though is how Redline 0W40 and Amsoil 0W40 hold up. I am assuming that almost all 0W40's will shear out of grade unless they have a boat load of ester base stocks in them. It is just like the Castrol 5W50 or Old 20W50 formulations they too often sheared like made due to the VII's not being up to the job!

Maybe I will have to get either some Redline 0W40 or Amsoil 0W40 and give it try after my dino experiment is over. Since I have a M1 0W40 UOA on this site already that was a 10K run or close to it. It would be interesting to compare. It will probably be Redline 0W40 as I can get that much cheaper then Amsoil products but to be honest I would love to see Amsoil do any better so I might go ahead and pay the extra premium for the Amsoil just to see how it compares! I am sure it will do good but will it be any better then M1 0W40 that is the ?????

john, you did catch post 13? i messed up the vis on the oil in the first post. as far as MPG, as i mentioned, i picked up about a 10% rise in MPG, but had also gone to LRR tires as well..which did what?

put in another change of 0w20 and the car has gone to the wife. so far, she has had no consumption at all. she doesn't, however, travel like i do, her trips are all <25 miles. her mileage has gone up to 31MPG, but she drives quite a bit differently than i do.

cheetahdriver, how long/far has it been since the last oil change to 0W-20?
You say your wife's mileage has gone up to 31 mpg, but I don't see where your mileage is listed for the two different oils.

with this miata i was typically getting 25MPG before the change (remember, both tires and oil), and about 27MPG afterwards. my wife is getting 30 to 33 since taking this one over. her previous car was a honda insight, and while she likes the miata power (and convertible top) compared to the insight, she just doesn't drive like she is in a sports car.

that may be a good thing, i went to the mazdaspeed turbo miata and am currently getting 22....

timewise, the oil was changed just before i posted this, i think she has put about 3k on it since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back