Too much moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point is there too much moly? Looking at trying a mix of mainly Havoline 5W20 with Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment (and a quart of Mobil 1 5W20, and a couple ounces of ARX, a witches brew so to speak)

BTW - please don't say at the point the oil becomes a solid
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by nickmckinney:
At what point is there too much moly? Looking at trying a mix of mainly Havoline 5W20 with Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment (and a quart of Mobil 1 5W20, and a couple ounces of ARX, a witches brew so to speak)

grin.gif

I'd skip the Synpower. Too much moly really doesn't seem to be effective and may contribute to quicker depletion of tbn. The Havoline has 400 or so and the Mobile has around 100.

The better question is at what point moly has a benefir is a better question most blender will blend to that point even tho a few percentn more may give a improvment is becomes a cost issue.

"At what point is there too much moly?"

Id say 5-7%wt.
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

Originally posted by nickmckinney:

grin.gif

I'd skip the Synpower. Too much moly really doesn't seem to be effective and may contribute to quicker depletion of tbn. The Havoline has 400 or so and the Mobile has around 100.

I am looking at 3.5 quarts of Havoline 5W20, 1 quart of Mobil 1 5W20, and using the full bottle of VSOT I get about ~525 PPM moly and a ~30W final mix with the above if my math is correct. Thats still less moly than Redline I think?

That VSOT is the first additive I have ever used that made a measurable difference at the gas pump. I don't know how much is due to the moly or the Boron, but now 3 cars so far its significant enough for me to keep using.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
Redline still has WAY more moly.

Thats what I was thinking too, only thing I don't know about now is the Boron for my brew.

Why are you trying to play amateur chemist?

The oil companies with real Ph.D. chemists and millions of dollars worth of test equipment are going to do a much better job.

quote:

Originally posted by Rev320:
Why are you trying to play amateur chemist?

The oil companies with real Ph.D. chemists and millions of dollars worth of test equipment are going to do a much better job.

Because the oil companies have both a SM spec and a price point to meet.

quote:

Tests have shown that engine oils can tolerate up to 750-800 ppm of moly dithiocarbamate before serious additive interactions takes place. So thats about 0.08% weight/weight.

And much depends on the OTHER additives present.

I would highly recommend you send in your mix for a VOA to Terry dyson before you run this stuff and then do UOA's every 1,000 miles.

quote:

Because the oil companies have both a SM spec and a price point to meet.

They are also blending chemicals of which they know the exact composition, and test them exhaustively to make sure that they behave well together.

You are mixing up stuff of which you know know very little about and hoping for the best. I wish you well.

ok I'm new....is Moly just an anti wear agent? Like ZDDP is. Which dino has the most moly? I don't find it listed, or atleast its not easy to find......does Phillips 66 have much? How about Havoline? PZ-QS-Shell-Mobil??? Thanks

Moly Dithiocarbamate (which we call "MoDTC") and derivatives are currently being used by some blenders today as friction reducers to assist in the passing of Sequence VIB fuel economy engine tests.

MoDTC is also used as a secondary AW and anti-oxidant (AO):

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000023#000010

The Havoline brands seem to have a good dose of it.

[ August 16, 2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back