Castrol Edge 10W30, 2500 miles on 2003 Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJC

This is my first post and just want to say this is a hightly informative site with many intelligent members.

I have 60,000 miles on the chasis, 10,000 miles on new engine.

I forgot to mention to Blackstone that I spilled some Edge and used 1/2 qt of regular Castrol GTX to make it to the full line. What would the high reading of Sodium mean?

200905WRX.jpg

welcome2.gif

Thanks for sharing the report.

2.5k miles and already thinned out of grade. That's strange. Something is up.

What happened that you needed a new engine?

Shearing out of grade in 2500 miles for a $7/qt oil? Wow! Makes me happier than ever to be a Mobil 1 user.

Thanks for the welcome. My first engine had a spun rod bearing. Luckily I was on my last month of remaining warranty and Subaru gave me a new short block and turbo.

Well, I admit I was very ignorant of how hard turbo engines (especially modded) would be on oil. On the first engine's last months, I had Mobil 1 5W30 in there and assumed it would last me 6,000 miles of hard driving. Guess it didn't. Before that I use to change the oil every three months regardless of miliage. It also had a oil consumption problem. Something like 1/2qt every 1000 miles.

With the new engine, I'm sticking with thicker oils. Currently have RTS 5w-40 in the engine. No noticable consumption so far. I'm going to send that in after 3500 miles to see if that sodium is lowered.

Sodium is probably additive from the 1/2 qt. of GTX. GTX seems to get the switch-a-roo additive package. I never know what additive package it's going to have. GTX probably also lowered the viscosity somewhat too.

Castrol Edge is barely in grade as a virgin oil so it really did not shear much.

I agree with others that Sodium probably came from the Castol GTX you added. Never contaminate your oil like that again!.........
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HJC
Thanks for the welcome. My first engine had a spun rod bearing. Luckily I was on my last month of remaining warranty and Subaru gave me a new short block and turbo.

Well, I admit I was very ignorant of how hard turbo engines (especially modded) would be on oil. On the first engine's last months, I had Mobil 1 5W30 in there and assumed it would last me 6,000 miles of hard driving. Guess it didn't. Before that I use to change the oil every three months regardless of miliage. It also had a oil consumption problem. Something like 1/2qt every 1000 miles.

With the new engine, I'm sticking with thicker oils. Currently have RTS 5w-40 in the engine. No noticable consumption so far. I'm going to send that in after 3500 miles to see if that sodium is lowered.

Do the statements that I've bolded in your earlier post mean that you had a modded engine/turbo/ecu and Subaru still honored your warranty? If so, what mods did you have and who is your dealer?

Cheers,

J

I personally wouldn't use Edge (@ $8 per quart!! "regular price"!!!!) for 3K when there is NAPA 100% Synthetic at $2.99, PP and SynPower at a couple bucks per quart after rebate, or a plethora of semi-synthetic blends available for even less: at 3K OCI's it is almost a moot question, anyway.

If you want to spend the dough go to AMSOIL and extend your OCI and get your money's worth, IMHO.

Cheers!

For SL8R,

My car was mildly modded with a half turboback (catless up and downpipes with stock 3rd cat and muffler section) and a custom tune. Plus minor suspension and brake upgrades that are irrelevant. The dealer is the one in Redwood city, California (forgot their name). They asked if I had all my service records and I said I did so they covered it.

I'm not using Edge again, I got that before reading up on this forum. I'm sticking with RTS from now on.

welcome2.gif

Wow, that great that you got a new engine under warranty!

Smart move on going with the RTS, IMO. A lot of Energy Conserving xW-30's don't always do well in Subaru turbo's, especially when they're barely a 30 grade to begin with (Edge 10W-30 is 9.8 cst's according to castrolusa.com).

Go really wild and go to 3,750 miles on the RTS.
grin2.gif
There was a recent RTS UOA posted from a Cobb Stage II STI at 8k miles and it looked good.

19.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: HJC

I have looked at one of the Subaru forums within the past year. There is a history of some other WRX owners with spun rod bearings that used Mobil 1 5W30 and 10W30. Maybe it might be because:

1) It is a matter of the odds (such a high % of owners use Mobil
1 5W30 in those engines),

2) 3.1 HT/HS is not high enough in Mobil 1 5W30 for that engine
(engine power overmatches the oil).

3) Most of the other owners, that I read about, that spun rod bearings occured after sessions of hard cornering. Perhaps there was a lack of lubrication after pulling those high G's.

Either way, I would be using a thicker oil, like the Rotella 5W40, German Castrol 0W30 or Mobil 1 10W30 High Mileage.

I don't own a Subaru, maybe someone who does, can chime in or correct something that I have said.

Agree to that last point. RTS 5W-40 seems to be an almost 'perfect' oil match for Subaru motors. Stay with Subaru's recommended 3750-mile OCI's and you'll be good.

It helps that RTS is fairly cheap - stock up if you find a sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back