supertech oil bad for your credit rating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local supermarket gave me $1 off coupons off their pork for buying pork. Went back in and found a package for $1.02. This hilarity continued!

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I have a Credit Union credit card. Does this apply to credit union as well? Or just the big Banks.......?

It probably depends how big your CU is. If they don't have a lot of funds to hire a 3-rd party to analyze credit card transactions, it will not apply to you.

To tell you the truth, I have not seen any analysis by the CU-s and the banks I have worked with. The most sophisticated thing is the VISA fraud protection where if there is an unusual pattern on your CC such as a large transaction if you haven't had any such large transactions from certain vendors, you get a call.

Yes, I actually had to call Discover when I bought oilBabe's wedding ring, as I don't usually spend thousands in jewelery stores.

We had a nice meal out on the cash back bonus from that purchase, LOL.

When I bought the Cobalt, I started getting letters and phone calls from my CU's offering to refinance me about a month later.

Quote:
I have a Credit Union credit card .

(imagine Tempest standing on the steps of the Capital building with a bunch of papers ..waving them around)

I've got here a list of 35M card carrying members of Capitalist Union Party!!

j/k
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: labman
So if they are tracking us so carefully, why were so many bad loans made?

Because bad loan is more profitable than good loan.

Banks buy purchasing info from CC companies and try to correlate it with their mortgage data. Nothing is spared scrutiny.

If your neighbour is getting married, pay for her gown on your CC, and you can earn a few extra points.

The oil bottle in that picture up top is SAE 5w-50. That's an easy viscosity for me to avoid. Safe?
grin2.gif

The other day one of my cards declined an on-line transaction I was attempting. I didn't bother calling them, tried my other card which accepted it. It was they who lost the % they would have made on the $$$. But it was annoying because I had to re-enter a lot of information.

It's funny because the card company that declined the transaction has an affiliation with the company I was trying to pay.

Quote:
It's funny because the card company that declined the transaction has an affiliation with the company I was trying to pay.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but that may be the reason.

"Can you loan me some money to pay you with?"

It's the same reason why, back in the 70's, a gas station operator could not normally get a gas credit card from the same company. If he was short on his rent he could just float it with his gas card.

I read the whole article. I found it to be much a analysis of moral values, not so much exemplified by the generic oil, but by another comparo-gram.
17credit_.jpg

It says the top 1% of risky items was a chrome skull accessory and lowest 1% risk was from buyers of premium bird seed. I can see that. We can argue what the two things actually represent, but THE ACTUAL DATA does not lie. Isn't that funny? I suspect a lot of guys at BitOG are quite moral, but don't we all have a chrome skull in our past, hmm?

Don't feel bad about the generic oil thing. We are just a lil more informed that it is actually a decent purchase than most of the loosers who buy it to save $.10c.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Don't feel bad about the generic oil thing. We are just a lil more informed that it is actually a decent purchase than most of the loosers who buy it to save $.10c.

Agree. One friend was going to laugh at me stocking up on 49c / qt Chevron Supreme a few years ago, until I show him the VOA and UOA. Then he started stockpiling himself.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I read the whole article. I found it to be much a analysis of moral values, not so much exemplified by the generic oil, but by another comparo-gram.
17credit_.jpg

It says the top 1% of risky items was a chrome skull accessory and lowest 1% risk was from buyers of premium bird seed. I can see that. We can argue what the two things actually represent, but THE ACTUAL DATA does not lie. Isn't that funny? I suspect a lot of guys at BitOG are quite moral, but don't we all have a chrome skull in our past, hmm?

That's a good one.........
LOL.gif

I wonder what they think about me. Pretty much the $3K I've put (and paid off) on my CC in the past year has all been gun related :)

I buy SuperTech oil, had chrome skulls on my old VW Bug, and have something that would probably be considered a "Mega Thruster Exhaust System" on my car now. My credit rating is 748.

Last time I checked, it's a free country and I can buy what I want. Isn't that the defining image of capitalism?

Then again, I also own parakeets and purchase a fair amount of bird seed. It doesn't snow here, so I think the snow rakes are out.

I don't see how that guy in the article was persuaded into giving up $2k in extra money, especially when he's going to ruin his credit either way, with a little "psychology." If the banks/credit agencies are out for blood, you're giving them exactly what they want and gaining nothing by doing the "feel good" responsible thing. His credit is tanked anyways, he should have tried to get away with as little as possible.

Selfish? Probably. But it seems that's become the nature of the system, take whatever you can get, other guy be [censored].

Some of these are just comical. Cardholders logging on at 1 AM? I do this all the time, not because I'm sleepless and anxious about losing money, but because I generally go to bed late. Usually because I'm doing something, and maybe I'm curious how much money I have left because I haven't checked in a while.

Quote:
One of the strongest conclusions of the psychological studies is that cardholders are most likely to pay the bills of those companies with which they have an emotional connection.

The simple solution is to not develop an emotional attachment to an institution whose sole purpose is to take your money. These companies aren't going to lift a finger for you unless it benefits them somehow, why should the consumer be any different? If they seem like they "care" about you, it's simply a cold, calculated move to make you more pliable. I'm honestly amazed that it works.

Last edited:
I'm proud of my credit rating at 822. I worked hard to get it there and keep it there... I guy buying Amsoil helped !?! hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back