Blue Rhino/UniFlame experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
WM has a universal burner in the grill parts section that'll probably work for you. Then you can keep the grill with all the memories and support a different chinese company, spiting the first.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
That's surprising... Why not have their call center in India? I mean why move one thing to an Asian continent and not another?

I'm guessing the call center operation isn't that big - they wouldn't save much. A lot of companies are bringing their CCs back to the US due to customer dissatisfaction with foreign accents (communication issues), etc. Plus, most of your CC staff can work from home (as long as they have proper connectivity), so they're not that expensive to maintain locally.

Manufacturing is a different story - maintaining a factory in the US vs. China, with all the rules and regulations that come with it (or lack thereof) makes a big difference. All your materials come from Chinese suppliers, too.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
WM has a universal burner in the grill parts section that'll probably work for you. Then you can keep the grill with all the memories and support a different chinese company, spiting the first.

I've thought of that too. Except all the universal burners are two knob burners and I have the deluxe cheapo three knob grill with a side burner to boot!

I suppose I could just plug or cap off the third knob.

Or just get some 90 degree angle iron, and fit three individual burners in there and call it a day

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Weber customer service is top notch, unless of course they went offshore in the last year or so.

Customer service is still in the US (Illinois, I think), but the manufacturing was moved to China.

That would be quite a switch in commitment from what they've said in the past. Anyone else remember when John Ratzenberger was there for the "Made in America" show?

sorry to hear about ur grill issues.
x2 for talking to wally's mgr.
weber is POS also. some of their stuff is down right unsafe.
bought old ducane, now owned by weber. never cover it. sits outside. works everytime

Malarkey. Buying purely by price for grills is whacked. No need to spend $1000's, but the cheap [censored] is exactly that.

Double malarkey - my igniter on my Webber went out after FOUR YEARS. I called Weber. They sent me TWO. NO CHARGE. Weber customer service is top notch, unless of course they went offshore in the last year or so.

My burner cracked after 14months. It was a 2 burner system and I called them. Sorry. "We made that unit for 3 years and its no longer produced".

I asked for just the part, nope. No can do.

This was a $349 setup.

My $123 with stainless burners has lasted so far 3 years and it gets a work out YEAR ROUND.

One was made in China, one in Mexico.
smirk2.gif

At least the "get what you pay for" unit if the part is no longer avail, you throw it away.

The $349 unit (the better one) gets thrown away also.

I'll take my chances...

PS: The Webber was made at least 5 years ago (prob more like 7 if it was in production for 3 years)

Originally Posted By: rshunter
That would be quite a switch in commitment from what they've said in the past. Anyone else remember when John Ratzenberger was there for the "Made in America" show?

Let me clarify that. Only the Spirit line and the Ducane brand (which Weber took over) went to China. The top of the line Genesis line is still made in USA:

http://bbq.about.com/b/2006/10/11/webers-china-line.htm

Still, $500 for a "made in china" Weber Spirit seems quite expensive. Looks like they lowered their mfg costs, but didn't share the savings with the customers.

My Weber Genesis whatever was closer to $500-$600 in about 2002. I never really clean the nether regions. Other than the one igniter, no issues. (And I have a spare igniter!) To each his own in the under $500 range for grills. All junk and I guess disposable.

OK, Maybe you SHOULD buy from these folks. I just got a phone call from them and they are shipping me a new burner,

FOR FREE!!!!!

That rocks, 6mo out of warranty and they exceed my expectations!

Come on over. You just have to find my house, LOL. I'll be the one fitting a new burner to my grill out back.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
OK, Maybe you SHOULD buy from these folks.

The power of the BITOG "Don't Buy from...." thread!

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Thanks to the mods for the title change!

No problem! And thanks to you guys for making me hungry, I want to slap some top sirloins on my BBQ now!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
crackmeup2.gif

All junk and I guess disposable.

Sadly I think this is close to the truth...
frown.gif

Even the most expensive units the companies stop stocking parts. (in many products across the board)

And they wonder why most people have NO brand loyalty.
06.gif

Why do you think I went here with the infomation?

Just sharing my experience, bad and it seems ultimately good.

Which is more expensive to them, a $30 burner they probably pay $5-10 to make and ship from China, or thousands of members who tick them off their list when it comes to buying a grill, or using the cylinder exchange program.

I'll USE the cylinder exchange since they stood behind their product even though I could get one free refill for every 3 I buy at the local rental place, because they did more than the right thing when it came to my grill.

I've always bought the lower end gas grills, and in 26 years replaced 3 of them, not bad for the $99 specials. Mine are also stored outside with a big cover over them. I guess I've been lucky.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I've always bought the lower end gas grills, and in 26 years replaced 3 of them, not bad for the $99 specials. Mine are also stored outside with a big cover over them. I guess I've been lucky.

I wish I could get a cover that would last more than a year....

Quote:
Which is more expensive to them, a $30 burner they probably pay $5-10 to make and ship from China, or thousands of members who tick them off their list when it comes to buying a grill, or using the cylinder exchange program.
Doesn't matter. They probably have actuaries that calculated just how long they could screw people around with cheap junk and absent customer service - and how to make the most money doing it that way. Those in power will run it into the ground and move on to the next thing until consumers at large finally get smart (not likely) or get so sick of this nonsense that they quit buying based on price (also not likely).

It's a rotten pickle.

I've just come to expect abysmal customer service from every company and act accordingly. When one of them actually steps up, they get more of my business and as much good word-of-mouth as I can muster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back