unk bulk 5w-20 w/ 1 qt of MMO. 5.7 Hemi 4,133 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rick20
So was it the thinned oil that quited the valve train noise. May be better flow? Or was it some cleaning? Might be interesting to see if with a fresh oil change and no MMO, whether or not the valve train is still quiter or gets back to noisy.

I read a prior post about your wifes Honda ride that had seen some MMO, and did not see any improvement, in valve noise, nor rough idle. You had mentioned that ARX turned that motor around.

Would be interesting to see if ARX had the same effect on this hemi motor, perhaps just running a 3 ounce maintenance dose. Just throwing this out for kicks.

I noticed that engine sound shortly after I got the car and I mentioned it to the mechanic at the garage. IMO, I do not think the "thinner" oil had anything to do with it because it was quieter from the beginning of the OCI. If you notice the viscosity of the sampled oil, it is still within the 5w-20 range. Yes, the oil thinned a tad but for all intensive purposes, it is still a 5w-20 weight oil. The Hemi just has plain oil in it now and when I ran it today for a little bit, the engine noise is considerably louder than it was with the MMO mix. I thought it was low on oil so I checked it and it was right on the full mark.

The engine is very clean inside so I don’t think there was anything for the MMO to clean per say. I had the car since 2,600 miles and it saw OCIs of 4K each time.

As far as the old Honda goes, you are mostly right. I did notice the engine ran smoother and got better mileage. The engine also looked a little cleaner inside, but it was still using oil. When I used the ARX, the engine became even cleaner and the oil consumption was drastically decreasing.

I am about to get a new 2009 Charger this week. After I put about 15-20K on it, I will try the 3 oz ARX dose and see how it looks. It will probably take 4 months to put the miles on.

IMO, if an engine has been very poorly maintained and it burns oil, from my experience, ARX will clean that engine better than MMO. If an engine is already in good mechanical condition or is has some varnish/deposits, then MMO works fine with extended use.

I mainly wanted to post this because since I have joined this site, I have heard countless times that MMO was “snake oil” and it basically ruined your oil because of it’s low flashpoint and since it contained mineral spirits, it took away from the lubricating properties of the oil. You know that “delicate balance” everyone talks about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back