Honda Moly 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been unable to find the Honda Moly 60 paste for the final drive on my VTX at any of 3 local Honda motorcycle dealers. My brother-in-law works for a Honda car dealer, and they use the Honda M-77 assembly paste. Does anyone know 100% for sure if I can use the M-77, or if I need to order the Moly 60 from an online dealer? Thanks

There are numberous Honda dealers o the internet that would be glad to sell you the Moly 60.
I'm not familiar with the M-77.

What the heck do those local dealers use when they lube the final drive??
It should be 'regreased' every tire change, at least.

Quote:
What the heck do those local dealers use when they lube the final drive??
Probably 'possum fat or something, it IS Georgia, after all...
LOL.gif

J/K.
27.gif
I'm sure the Honda service depts in Georgia are very high tech (the wife has relatives in GA..
frown.gif
)

Well, the Honda manual says to use the moly paste. So far, the ones I've checked with are using regular axle grease. One even offered me some in a cup from his shop. At least "I" won't be having to explain why there's axle grease in my final hub, when there should be the moly paste, if I have a warranty problem.

I used to have a Shadow 1100 V-Twin. That bike's maintenance manual called for moly paste on the final drive splines.

My current bike is a Goldwing. Interestingly, that bike does not have splines, and does not call for any moly paste. Just the normal 80W-90 final drive oil.

I'm not sure exactly why there's a difference. The VT1100 had an axle that ran through the rear wheel; the Goldwing's rear tire is mounted on a swing-arm design. Could that be the difference?

Goldwing shafts have splines too that need periodic maintenance. Time to do it is when changing tires, maybe every other one, or whatever seems good based on prior inspection.

Originally Posted By: wileyE
Goldwing shafts have splines too that need periodic maintenance.
I checked my Service Manual and you're right ... the Wing does have final drive splines. I don't know where in the heck I got it in my mind that it didn't.
blush.gif

I learned something new! Thanks, wileyE!xx
11.gif

Originally Posted By: wileyE
Time to do it is when changing tires, maybe every other one, or whatever seems good based on prior inspection.
My wrenching skills are minimal ... I can change the oil. I installed my backrest. That's about it. For tires, I have the dealership do that. I'm sure they're doing the moly paste on the rear splines as needed ... they're a good bunch of mechanics (Mussellman's Honda, Tucson).

Their prices for the tires seem reasonable and their bench rate is worth the peace of mind to me.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Regular moly grease (3-5%) will destroy the spline drive. The splines get very hot and are subjected to temendous loads. Grainger carries the Loctite 65% moly paste, but you should be able to get it from a industrial power supplier too. (or google)

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5E200

$60 a pound
shocked2.gif
Good thing it only takes a little
11.gif

Originally Posted By: bulldogparts
I have been unable to find the Honda Moly 60 paste for the final drive on my VTX at any of 3 local Honda motorcycle dealers. My brother-in-law works for a Honda car dealer, and they use the Honda M-77 assembly paste. Does anyone know 100% for sure if I can use the M-77, or if I need to order the Moly 60 from an online dealer? Thanks

I use TS-70 moly paste for my Valkyrie and I also use their moly grease for the universal splines. I have never found any others with a higher moly content.
http://www.tsmoly.com/old/ts70.shtml

My Honda shop didn't carry Honda Moly 60 either until I threatened to call Honda and report them for not using it on the bikes they serviced and I threatened to post this info on some local motorcycle blogs. Now it is prominently displayed on the sales floor and in the shop. I would never take my bikes to a dealer that didn't use it on Hondas they serviced. Cheap and lazy manifests itself in other areas too. Like when they change your tires and cover the rim scratches with a felt marker and use cheap oil and charge you for the good stuff.
Never trust a dealer that doesn't do what the factory recommends, who knows what they are doing to your bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back