Castrol GTX High Mileage 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
After returning high sodium numbers Blackstone agreed to run a VOA on the same oil for me. It seems that sodium IS an additive, and was not due to a coolant leak
banana2.gif

Here are the results:

Aluminum: 1
Chromium: 0
Iron: 1
Copper:0
Lead: 1
Tin: 0
Moly: 3
Nickel: 0
Manganese:
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 1
Boron: 1
Silicon: 5
Sodium: 124
Calcium: 1736
Magnesium: 8
Phosphorus: 522
Zinc: 643
Barium: 0

Viscosity @ 210F: 65.4
Viscosity @ 100C: 11.71
Flashpoint F: 425
Fuel %: -
Antifreeze: -
Water: 0
Insolubles: TR

Not nearly as 'additized' as I thought it might be. Thought it would have more Calcium, and some Moly...oh well!

Yep. Blackstone said the Na wasn't an additive in the GTX HM oil, and was due to a coolant leak. Folks on here were more optimistic. VOA came back, and...

Last edited:
Just dumped in the 5w30, it was on sale at vatozone. Hopefully there's a bit mre to this oil than the voa can tell.

I think 'most' high-mileage oils have some ester content in them to treat leaky seals. Hopefully that will strengthen this oil somewhat....

My previous UOA, Na: 69

VOA (shown above), Na: 124

Blackstone mentioned a possible coolant leak as indicated by the high Sodium in my UOA. I sent them a virgin sample to confirm that the Na present was an additive, not a contaminant. Sorry for the confusion.

I wonder if the formulation has changed in the last 7 months. It 'looks' weak, but I'm sure the guys at the lab know what they are doing when they are putting this stuff together.

Regardless, I've given up on the GTX HM and, as of today, have switched over to RTS 5W/40. Have one oil around for the old beater and the STI makes things a lot easier : )

Good call. Thanks for sharing the VOA. Unless they have something else going, we cant seen with the HM oil I would say it is rather ho hum at best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back