New to us 2004 BMW 530i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife had to have this car after she saw and drove it. I must admit, it sure was fun to test drive. Haven't had a car handle like that since my Datsun 280Z. Anyway, it has 34,500 miles but is out of factory warranty. I'll be doing the oil changes, so I was thinking of using the BMW filters and German Castrol, which Autozone has on sale right now. Should I stock up on the GC? Bimmer holds 6.9 quarts.

Just make sure you don't follow the 15,000 mile OBC oil change reminder. Half of that is more reasonable. GermanFilters.com has great prices on the OEM Mann filters (925/4X).

After conversations with a few people, one of whom may or may not be an insider at another major oil company, I am starting to suspect that GC is actually much better than its price indicates, and is being sold at very low margins or even a loss.

Either way, it's great stuff, and BMWs love it. Use it and sleep well at night. :)

Originally Posted By: SamSpade
Just make sure you don't follow the 15,000 mile OBC oil change reminder. Half of that is more reasonable.

I used to think the same way, but I have to say I don't buy this argument at all any more. 7,500 mile oil changes certainly wouldn't hurt, but after looking at a few UOAs I see no problem with going by the OBC unless you do a LOT of short trips or are consuming a lot of oil -- and in the latter case, you should check your PCV system either way.

GC after 6K miles in my car appeared to be pretty badly beaten up, despite the use of LC20 which was supposed to make it hold up better. I don't think I would want to take it up to 15K miles based on that. I'm about to take a sample again at 6K so I'll see if the last one was just a fluke. No oil consumption in my case. Not much short trip driving either. In fact, during the current OCI, there was not much driving at all - it's been almost 1 year since my last oil change. We'll see.

With that said, I still think GC is a great oil for this car. Maybe there is just something wrong with mine...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: SamSpade
Just make sure you don't follow the 15,000 mile OBC oil change reminder. Half of that is more reasonable.

I used to think the same way, but I have to say I don't buy this argument at all any more. 7,500 mile oil changes certainly wouldn't hurt, but after looking at a few UOAs I see no problem with going by the OBC unless you do a LOT of short trips or are consuming a lot of oil -- and in the latter case, you should check your PCV system either way.

I agree with this theory for a normally aspirated engine with manifold injection if UOA's support it. For those who have the N54 engine (Twin Turbo direct inject) I'd initially run a UOA on GC after the 7500 mile interval initially to see if the oil is holding up under your driving conditions. If so, go longer between changes. There are some posts on this board that claim the N54 engine destroys even the best synthetics very quickly.

Last edited:
Please show me a 15k BMW UOA that looks good. The TBN was ~1 on the 15k UOA's I can remember.
On our '01 530i I've settled on 10k OCI's with GC.

The OEM BMW oil filter is made by Mann. It should come with the gasket and drainplug washer. I get filters for $5 at the local europartshaus.
http://www.rockauto.com and http://www.autohausaz.com sell filters for < $5
autohausaz also has stuff like the weird BMW PCV valve, oil dipstick o-rings, engine cover trim caps, etc

For diy oil changes a "clicker" torque wrench is handy because you can crack the filter housing if you overtighten the top.

fwiw, I'd change the diff oil (and MTF) now. If you've got an auto tranny you can probably wait another 25-45k or until shifting quality starts to suffer.

I recently posted pictures of my M54 engine here at BITOG.

You have a very good engine in that car- take good care of it and you can enjoy hammefing it all you want! I recommend 5K OCI's with a BMW filter.

I've never done a UOA on my 330ci, but one look at my pics pretty much indicates no need.

Use GC on 5K OCI's and the engine will easily outlast the car!

Cheers and happy motoring!

Got a little bit of varnish in the M54 following 20-25km OCIs with BMW Synthetic after 110,000km on the odo. Now there was a bit of lifter tick on a cold start - which ARX removed. In retrospect, half the OCI would have been more acceptable.

The previous owner of my E46 325i (2.5L M54 engine) had the oil changed by the dealer only at 19,000 km (12,000 miles) using I believe GC (Castrol SLX Professional LL-01). By the time I got it at 36,000 km (22,000 miles), it was already sludged. That's why I don't recommend the 15T mile OCI.

Granted there are some who have successfully reached 100T miles with 15T mile OCI and very clean engines (jpr thread). But as they say, it's better safe than sorry.

My wife has the 2005 530i. Maintenance warranty expires next week, with last dealer OC last week. Ive been changing every 7.5k (between scheduled OCs) with GC and Mahle filter. Great car, great engine. CPO warranty for another two years and will probably replace with entry 5 series in 2011.

Yep, I'm afraid I'm hooked if this Bimmer gives us good service. The problem is this one has the sport package and I'm not sure I'd be happy without it. It handles sooooo well! My wife just won't let me drive it like I want.

My 328 has the sport package as well and it is an absolute blast to drive. Currently im using oil listed in sig, but i've decided to switch to GC on the next change based on what i've read here. Both are LL-01. From the data sheets i've seen, the GC is a little thinner all around, initially at least.

Congrats on the e60, hope it serves you well. Since you're out of warranty, find a good independent shop. Dealer will charge you an arm and a leg for pretty much anything.

Already made sure my indy shop works on BMWs. However, my regular tire shop doesn't do run-flats. When these wear out, I'm going to regular tires since I have a donut in the trunk. I'm trying to find out which shop is capable of road force balancing and won't scratch these 18-inch wheels.

I strongly suggest joining the BMW Car Club. Active local chapters, great monthly magazine, and many discounts and other member services.

Thanks for the advice guys. MCompact, we joined BMWCCA Friday with memberships in two of the chapters. And I don't plan on running the GC more than 7,500 miles and might decide to go with 6K OCIs. Did a little shifting in Steptronic mode last night, shifting at about 5,800 RPM. Boy, it didn't take long to get to 80 mph and the M54 engine was smooth as glass.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Just use oil that meets ACEA A3,B3 and LL01 and change it sy every 7,500 miles. I've seen to many bad results on BMW forums worldwide to agree with 15,000 mile OCI's.

I agree; the M54 in my wife's X3 depletes the additive pack of M1 0W-40 in @8,000 miles. No way would I run it for 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Thanks for the advice guys. MCompact, we joined BMWCCA Friday with memberships in two of the chapters. And I don't plan on running the GC more than 7,500 miles and might decide to go with 6K OCIs. Did a little shifting in Steptronic mode last night, shifting at about 5,800 RPM. Boy, it didn't take long to get to 80 mph and the M54 engine was smooth as glass.

Bimmers can be addictive; I started with a 1973 Bavaria in 1983 and haven't looked back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back