Funny oil test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Make sure to read his scientific comments at the end.
LOL.gif

Link

Doesn't shock me they caught on fire, I don't think any of them have a flash point of over 500F.

It would be interesting to take them to 250F and see how long each lasts. Maybe when my grill is on it's last legs...

Oh my lord I almost hate to say this, "he's an Amsoil salesman" I will be really disappointed if anyone on this site believes that this stupid, idiotic test proves anything.

Guys, it was one of OUR MEMBERS that did this! There is a post, somewhere on here, with this exact sequence in it.

At the time, a lot of people thought this was a great test. Now, we call it idiotic. We've got to be careful, we're going to look like we have no 'group memory' if we criticize what we once applauded!

Geeze!

Uhh... when was the last time YOUR vehicle got near 500 degrees.

I understand that Turbo's can get up there, but those are cooled by FLOWING OIL.

Wow... and here I was thinking I was going to learn something.

And to think, all those oil companies spend millions running controlled engine and fleet tests on their oils, when all they really need is a grill and a muffin pan! How dumb can they be!

We need to forward this to the ASTM, SAE, API, and ILSAC immediately so they can start saving testing money and lower our oil price.

crackmeup2.gif

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Uhh... when was the last time YOUR vehicle got near 500 degrees.
My infra thermometer said the exhaust manifold was around 700+ degrees on a normally hot engine. I suspect that 500 degrees could very well occur around the piston rings.

Disclaimer: I didn't look at the link.

LOL, he did start out by saying it was totally unscientific.

In any case, I'd stay away from the biscuits if you're ever invited over for dinner.

I recall this test. I think it followed a number of similar tests involving tinfoil over a charcoal grill.

Didn't buster do that??

Looked like fun.

You should see diesel drain oil on an open flame (fire pit).

Hate to say it, but I don't think this is a bad test at all!

He kept consistency by testing the exact same grade/specification for each oil (10W-30, SM/GF-4).

As expected, the two dino oils handled both the heat and burning much worse than the synthetics - first, loosing volume faster, and then buring away more thoroughly. Graphically demonstrates that syns handle heat better than conventionals.

They DO do a test like this for oils - 'Flash point', anyone?

Amsoil touts, and many agree, that they are one of, if not the, best synthetic oil out there for oxidative stability and volatility loss. Here, Amsoil lost less volume than the others, and when it did burn, it left behind the most residue, showing it was the most resistant to completely buring off.

Lets give this guy a break, and maybe inteligently discuss the merits of this test?

Anyone?

Slightly
32.gif
I distinctly remember a Mobil 1 commercial sometime in the 80s where they took 2 frying pans and poured conventional oil in one and Mobil 1 in the other. Then proceeded to "cook" the oil. I don't remember what temperatures they went up to but the conventional oil literally turned to some form of burnt sludge that could be scraped with a spatula while the Mobil 1 just poured out of the pan like it was new.

Ed B.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Lets give this guy a break, and maybe intelligently discuss the merits of this test?

Anyone?

addyguy, I agree with almost everything you post on here, but on this one I cannot. Someone's BBQ grill in the backyard with muffin pans is not a test. In the "oil" world it has no relevance at all. It has not merit.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I'd like to see the same test but at 250-300 for several hours.

Didn't Mobil1 or Castrol used to have a commercial with a frying pan and oil(s).

That was Mobil 1 and that was marketing hype at its best.

I don't know, but in the real lab's are the muffin pans just replaced with beakers? and if they are it's just a more controlled test in a lab.

Anyone know how the flashpoint tests are performed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back