Buying junkyard tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at some junkyard tires today and I found an excellent pair of Michelin truck tires that fits my rims. The tire is 2 yrs old from it's DOT code and still has lots of thread yet. However they have been exposed to the sun. Are junkyard tires safe to use?

You seem to know your tires.
I would think that as long as they are relatively new they are ok.

There was a "Nightline" on awhile back telling people that car dealers are selling 12-15 year old tires for their SUV's, and THAT is STILL creating roll-over situations.
You would think that people would learn. But the Almighty and Powerful Dollar seems to rule over All.

"Go forth and Multiply" did not apply to finance.

I bought some used tires one time many many years ago. I would never do it again.

Just realized you are in Hawaii. I know they will be $$$$ but you will not be sorry with new, with used tires you could get bitten so many ways.

Originally Posted By: toytundranator
I was looking at some junkyard tires today and I found an excellent pair of Michelin truck tires that fits my rims. The tire is 2 yrs old from it's DOT code and still has lots of thread yet. However they have been exposed to the sun. Are junkyard tires safe to use?

Were they on the truck? They may have flat spots.

It's not worth it. Tires have about a five year shelf life. As michelin says "Because so much is riding on your tires". Get a new set. You won't regret it.

How cheap are they? They should be fine. I've had cars sit for months on end and not have flat spot issues. They are only 2 years old so they should be perfectly fine if you ask me. Perhaps there is a little risk but if they are cheap enough then why not try them?

If they're from a wrecked car, and there's no flat spotting or weird wear... maybe. Two years old sounds pretty good.

My dad used to do this. After you factor in the high cost of having them mounted, how much are you really saving?

But, if they look and feel good there probably aren't any safety issues. They're probably off a wreck if they're that new, if that's the case then there's really no problem.

I thought about buying a used tire to replace a single tire with three nails in it on my Monte Carlo, but after rummaging through the pick 'n pull and not finding anything that would have fit, just gave up and bought a new one. It was three times the price, but worth it for the peace of mind.

Go for it! I have my own tire machine and a very friendly junkyard. Tires are $5-20 there and nearly new! DOT codes are good reads. Look around inside for plugs. There's a "scalloping" pattern that will have a break/abrasion in it if the tire was ever run flat on the rim.

A junkyard is the best place for used tires because the car is in there for something else. A tire dealer is the worst; that tire was pulled for some specific reason! Only way to get lucky is if someone never rotated and wanted four new "just because".

$5 tire

Go for it. The price sounds like a steal. I used to put used tires on my ex-girlfriends car when she was in Grad school and on a budget. I always picked out name brand, matching sets and never had a problem. The place charged me $30/tire that included the tire itself, mounting and balancing. Most tires also had more than 7/32nd's tread life left.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's not worth it. Tires have about a five year shelf life.

No need to perpetuate another myth;

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1371

Quote:

Dan Zielinski, Senior Vice President, Public Affairs, for the Rubber Manufacturers Association in Washington, DC, told me that his association "does not recommend a removal date for tires based on age because there's no scientific information to back it up." He explained that extensive studies of thousands of junkyard tires do not back up the notion that tires just deteriorate with time

Quote:

I asked Jim Davis, spokesman for Goodyear Tire and Rubber, about the problem of aging tires. Davis said: "There is no scientific evidence that leads to the conclusion that there should be a tire service limit. Different groups have studied it. Different companies have studied it. Tire companies have studied it. Nobody has come out with any kind of report indicating any kind of scientific data to support a specified tire service life."

Quote:

Some manufacturers would like to see tires replaced after six years, some after ten years. What about the idea called for by some safety experts of replacing tires that are six years old even if they don't appear to be worn? According to Tyson, "that six-year clock is pretty much at the conservative end of the various recommendations that are out there. The problem is there is a pretty wide range of differences depending on the region of the country you live in. On vehicles that have been in a warm climate like what you would find in the southern part of the United States, tire aging seems to be a greater issue than up in Maine, for example. For most vehicles that are used on a regular basis it's not an issue because you'll wear out the tires before they get old."

Our local junkyards keep servicable tires in 'the tire shed', out of the sun. Standard practice for years.

Alex.

I bought a used tire from a tire place when I was desperate off of the interstate when one of my tires was slashed to shreds. Only reason why I did was because they wanted almost double for a new tire. used tire lasted a month. Junkyards sound like an excellent plan. tire stores nope.

Last edited:
As long as there's no sun/ozone cracking, tread or belt separation, or puncture damage you'll probably be all right. Most LT tires have multiple plys & belts-heck, my '93 GMC has 2 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos on the front right now that came from the junkyard, mounted & balanced on Ford rims, cost me $60 for both including a set of hubcaps, look brand new!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: eljefino
$5 tire

Douglas Xtra-Trac.

thumbsup2.gif

That size was $60 at walmart at the time.

Call your local collision shops and ask them if they have any 1 year old totalled vehicles where your rims will fit. Then go there and offer the guy 50-100 cash to swap all 4 new tires & wheels. Tow companies and impound lots are good for this as well.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back