Filter Flow Performance - Any Good Ref Data ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a wix filter for my 3.8 v6 dodge minivan that is easily double the size of any other filters i have used and am worried it may not have enough flow. what do you folks thing. i have not put it on yet.

If it fits use it. When there was a bogo sale on AATG's ..man, I bought 2 or 3 of all sizes available in the 3/4-16 thread.

You can add a new dimension to this thing. You can manipulate sump sizes with filter selection.
grin2.gif
This time you go up ..next time you go down in size
thumbsup2.gif
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: mcshooter
i have a wix filter for my 3.8 v6 dodge minivan that is easily double the size of any other filters i have used and am worried it may not have enough flow. what do you folks thing. i have not put it on yet.

If the filter is "easily double the size", then it should actually flow better than a shorter filter. In general terms, the more filtering area there is, the better it flows and the more contamination it can hold before flow starts to become restricted.

I’d put that WIX on in a heartbeat.
19.gif

Good summary SuperBusa and Gary. I agree that any filter specified for a given engine will work well enough.

LoneRanger: I'll be at the Subaru dealer on Monday. I'll pick up one of the new filters and introduce it to the band saw here at work. I want to see the insides in person. The media doesn't seem to be the "orange can of death" cheap stuff from what I can see in the pictures. I don't have a real issue with the cardboard end caps, they seem to work fine for short intervals. The biggest complaint with Fram is the ADBV. That's not an issue on a Subaru. I'll also measure the relief spring pressure if possible.

SuperBusa: The twin oil pumps on the Bonneville do indeed feed separate circuits. The HP pump draws through the filter and feeds the main oil galley and the output shaft of the transmission. The LPHV pump circulates unfiltered oil through cooling passages in the cylinders and head, and then through the oil cooler. It also lubes the clutch and input shaft. I would not be affected by filter resistance.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
SuperBusa: The twin oil pumps on the Bonneville do indeed feed separate circuits. The HP pump draws through the filter and feeds the main oil galley and the output shaft of the transmission. The LPHV pump circulates unfiltered oil through cooling passages in the cylinders and head, and then through the oil cooler. It also lubes the clutch and input shaft. I would not be affected by filter resistance.

Ed

Wow, that sounds like a pretty unique oiling system there.
20.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, it sure does. I tried to find out about it via google ..but too much static.

Any exploded diagrams of this engine?

I couldn't find anything online. I copied the relevant pages from the shop manual at the dealer. I'm on dial-up at home, so no image hosting. I do have a liberal email policy at work. PM your email address and I'll email you the info.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back