Supertech filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering just how good the Supertech filters are. I was suprised to find it in my size (9018)

The reason I ask is because the filter is inside the engine (Ecotec 2.2), so I want to make sure it filters well.

And how come the ST filters are in the fram catalog? I thought they were made by someone else...

I figured that this might be a good way to use my 10 walmart gift card...

They're not bad. At least the one I got was a champion labs not e-core. I got an STP that was exactly the same.

I guess I'd buy one over a fram, especially when you consider price, but I'd rather get a purolator for 3.50 than either. For my applications, the purolators are almost an inch longer. The champion labs have a good design that makes up for some of this, but not all.

A lot will depend on your OCI. If you're only going 3000~5000 miles, it would be great. If you're trying to stretch things out, I'd get something a bit bigger or with higher quality media.

These was a long thread on the Ecotec filter, and the conclusion was that the Fram and ST filters had an o-ring that was smaller than purolator and AC Delco, which allowed oil to drain back into the oil pan and causing dry starts. I'd search for these threads, there were 2 notable ones with a ton of pictures showing the difference

AC Delco for this engine is $4.69 at Advance Auto, why run anything else?

Hmmm..I'm having issues finding it. Help?

Only 4.69 at AAP? may look into that......

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I was wondering just how good the Supertech filters are. I was suprised to find it in my size (9018)

The reason I ask is because the filter is inside the engine (Ecotec 2.2), so I want to make sure it filters well.

And how come the ST filters are in the fram catalog? I thought they were made by someone else...

I figured that this might be a good way to use my 10 walmart gift card...

I bet the catalog is made by Fram for Walmart since Walmart has Fram products, oil, air and fuel filters and they probably add in the SuperTECH filters for Walmart.

I think there are better ways to use that gift card, the SuperTECH I cut open seems ok but the filter material seems pretty cheap and thin. Is it a cartridge filter? If so you would easily be able to compare how they look and feel between different brands.

I've tried searching for those ecotec thread, but I am not able to find them. (maybe it's me?)

I really want to see those results....

Holy cow that was quite a bit of info...thanks!
grin2.gif

Me thinks I should stick with Napa golds and delcos....
cool.gif

Last edited:
Oil filters are like oil around here - the favorites change by the month. At one time ST oil filters were loved, now they are hardly spoken of. Maybe it was due to the e-core design on some ST's which some folks here are not comfortable with.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Oil filters are like oil around here - the favorites change by the month. At one time ST oil filters were loved, now they are hardly spoken of. Maybe it was due to the e-core design on some ST's which some folks here are not comfortable with.

Could be the change...

Originally Posted By: steve20
I think it is due to their rather 'thin' filtering media. Not on my car anymore since I took one apart.

Steve

That would be my worry- I want it to hold up...

Originally Posted By: steve20
I think it is due to their rather 'thin' filtering media. Not on my car anymore since I took one apart.

Steve

I agree with Steve, while I never put one on my car when I cut one open the filtering media seems pretty thin.

Ah yes, that Ecotec filter thread. I contributed to the bally hoo in that one as well, with some photos of o-ring size differences.

Don't have the HHR anymore though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back