Some 5w-30 Oils compared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oils_compared.JPG

Last edited:
It looks like the Castrol Edge could be used in place of 5w20 without a problem. It's a shame it's overpriced.

Makes the PP look pretty good.

Would like to of had a 5w-30 in Amsoil and Redline.

God, the PP just looks beautiful... although we all know the VOA's could look totally different (minutely) with different samples and our opinion could change with. Although, I'm am and would still be biased towards the PP.

guys, i am not a pro by any means so could somebody explain why PP looks so much better than Syntec based on the results above? Looks like about 5% more Ca in PP but about 50% less Moly. The rest looks pretty similar. Looks to me that maybe syntec is the better one in the group.

Folks here are still in a huff that Syntec was advertising itself as a "true" full synthetic (when in fact it's always been a hydro-cracked GRP III mineral oil).

Don't worry, I got a bunch of jugs in the basement.
thumbsup2.gif

I think it goes to show that oils are formulated differently for various performance standards they are trying to achieve. I think PP loves to clean up the engine.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
guys, i am not a pro by any means so could somebody explain why PP looks so much better than Syntec based on the results above? Looks like about 5% more Ca in PP but about 50% less Moly. The rest looks pretty similar. Looks to me that maybe syntec is the better one in the group.

If you go to the Oil Additives forum, then go in a few pages you will find a moly additives?? thread. I think you will find it a good read and MAYBE why PP uses the Moly add it does.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4

If you go to the Oil Additives forum, then go in a few pages you will find a moly additives?? thread. I think you will find it a good read and MAYBE why PP uses the Moly add it does.

From the additives forum. This was a discussion on the benefits of moly as an additive in factory oil. The poster is an EOM engineer.

Originally Posted By: Taylor
at what levels do corrosive wear begin?

"I am referring to the use of moly DTC. These are what I have observed in a wide variety of formulations.

Moly DTC caused observable corrosion in mildly thermally stressed oil.

100ppm Mo-copper
300ppm Mo-lead,tin"

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Makes the PP look pretty good.

Would like to of had a 5w-30 in Amsoil and Redline.

Agreed!

Not sure that more moly makes an oil better.......

PP looks good because it has slightly better additives and usuallly is a lower price.

I don't know but I see at least three oils that could be using the exact same additive package from a supplier. I do not know how many of these oils were analyzed on the same machine, how far apart, just taking in account drift between calibrations, what one uses as calibration standard vs. another, who shook the [censored] out of their quart before they sampled, etc. Not sure there is that big of a difference here when it all comes down to it.

How many samples were averaged to obtain each number above? For example, how many VOAs were averaged to determine the zinc figure for the PP? And the zinc figure for the Edge?

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that after reading this, I looked at some of the other posts of VOAs on the Red Line and Mobil 1 EP and found the zinc and phosphorous to differ greatly from what is reported here...they were both quite a bit higher on the other tests, not sure why?

Well I didn't compare Redline....Unless you meant RP.

I also tried to compare the same weights.

No science here just throwing some info together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back