What is Dia ATF SP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Dia ATF SP?

When was it created?

When was it superseded?

Is there anyone who has older stock of this available?

Already am aware of similar fluids that can be used, just want to know about this one type. (Never have heard of it before)

I have a 1991 Plymouth Laser (Same as Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon.) that requires this fluid be used.

Please reply back.

Looks as if Mitsubishi Plus ATF is the same or possibly a replacement from a quick search on the web. Amsoil ATF meets the Mitsu spec and is a very good atf. Dont know much about its history. SOmeone with more mitsu knowledge is sure to chime in.
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Mitsubishi, Hyundai and Kia vehicles often specify SP-III fluid to be used in their transmissions. SP-III is the current specification (produced by DiaQueen or Diamond), which I believe will be superseded soon.

I would stick with SP-III fluid, and not resort to using anything 'compatible'. You will be spending a dollar to save a dime. The said fluid has a unique friction additive, which helps reduce shuddering when lock-up applies.

I always used ATF+3 (Chrysler fluid) in my Hyundai which spec'd
SP. Never had a problem (until the tranny died at 109K).

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Mitsubishi, Hyundai and Kia vehicles often specify SP-III fluid to be used in their transmissions. SP-III is the current specification (produced by DiaQueen or Diamond), which I believe will be superseded soon.

SP-III produced by DIA or Diamond?

Please explain in detail, What do you mean? Is it another brand, that is NOT Mitsubishi? Confused - Yes!

Looking for historical data on DIA ATF SP. When did this fluid cease production?

Please answer without giving SP II or SP III details.

What happened to the origianl Dia ATF SP?

Originally Posted By: pbm

This I am aware of already, Just want to know about Dia ATF SP!

Please pay attention to the original post question before you chime in!

Originally Posted By: LubeTechBob

That depends entirely on market. For some markets (such as the Far East and Middle East), the fluid is produced by DiaQueen. For other markets (such as North America) it is produced by Diamond.

Please explain in detail, What do you mean? Is it another brand, that is NOT Mitsubishi? Confused - Yes!

They are contracted companies that produce the fluid for Mitsubishi, using Mitsubishi's specifications and formula.

Looking for historical data on DIA ATF SP. When did this fluid cease production?

In the mid-'90s, when SP-II superseded it with an improved formula

It's been improved, and the older version are no longer being produced. The new specification is formulated to deal with requirements of new transmissions, whilst still being compatible with older units. Think of Mercon and Mercon V, or Dexron III and IV.

That depends entirely on market. For some markets (such as the Far East and Middle East), the fluid is produced by DiaQueen. For other markets (such as North America) it is produced by Diamond.

They are contracted companies that produce the fluid for Mitsubishi, using Mitsubishi's specifications and formula.

In the mid-'90s, when SP-II superseded it with an improved formula

It's been improved, and the older version are no longer being produced. The new specification is formulated to deal with requirements of new transmissions, whilst still being compatible with older units. Think of Mercon and Mercon V, or Dexron III and IV.

DiaQueen And Diamond are companies for Mitsubishi - Correct?
What is their full corporate names?

If so where is each company located? (for education purposes- never heard of this before?)

If Dia ATF SP was superseded, between the fluids SP II and SP III what are the differences & improvements that make the current fluid better than the original?

Why put one fluid as Dia and the other as Diamond if the product fluid is the same, or are there differences here too? - confused here - please explain Falcon?

DiaQueen And Diamond are companies for Mitsubishi - Correct? What is their full corporate names?

Correct. Just like Mobil produced oil for General Motors and ConnocoPhilips produces oil for Ford, DiaQueen and Diamond produce ATF for Mitsubishi. Unfortunately, I am unaware of their full corporate names.

If so where is each company located? (for education purposes- never heard of this before?)

DiaQueen is located in Japan. Diamond, I believe, is located in the US - but I am not 100% certain, because they are not sold here.

If Dia ATF SP was superseded, between the fluids SP II and SP III what are the differences & improvements that make the current fluid better than the original?

SP III is a further refined and improved formula. Improvements include improved low temperature viscosity, friction modifiers, suddering and oxidation resistance.

Why put one fluid as Dia and the other as Diamond if the product fluid is the same, or are there differences here too? - confused here - please explain Falcon?

As I said, DiaQueen and Diamond both cater to different markets.

DiaQueen And Diamond are companies for Mitsubishi - Correct? What is their full corporate names?

Correct. Just like Mobil produced oil for General Motors and ConnocoPhilips produces oil for Ford, DiaQueen and Diamond produce ATF for Mitsubishi. Unfortunately, I am unaware of their full corporate names.

DiaQueen is located in Japan. Diamond, I believe, is located in the US - but I am not 100% certain, because they are not sold here.

I can find no record of a company like these that exist or information regarding the existence of the Dia ATF SP except in my owners manual.

Could you check where Diamond is located in the U.S.?

(Maybe in California, where Mitsubishi is headquartered here.)

Unfortunately, the information supplied is too vague, it can't be Googled or found on a search engine to retrieve a response, although you really do have more information on this topic than anyone else I have spoken or written to. Please keep trying to find more information for me.

I take Dia & DiaQueen are the same company? Correct?

Please reply back

Anyone else with knowledge on this topic should also chime in.

Last edited:
I'll try to find some information on Diamond. Dia and Dia Queen would be the same company though.

For any Mitsubishi-built transmission, Diamond or DiaQueen SP is the fluid to use, however. Unless you have a pre-'01 Pajero/Montero or L200, which used Aisin-Warner transmissions compatible with Dexron III+ ATF, nothing else should be used.

Worthy of note, Dia Queen also supply coolant and engine oil for Mitsubishi, alongside heavy gear oil.

Originally Posted By: pbm

This I am aware of already, Just want to know about Dia ATF SP!

Please pay attention to the original post question before you chime in!

Sorrrry!

Yeah you better be sorry!
LOL.gif
. Hey new guy, you might want to take a different approach seeing that you are looking for help. People skim through most of this stuff. Mistakes are made.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Yeah you better be sorry!
LOL.gif
. Hey new guy, you might want to take a different approach seeing that you are looking for help. People skim through most of this stuff. Mistakes are made.

Sorry if I sounded rude, but I just wanted to keep the topic in the hands of those who knew what I wanted to know or find out.
I did not want to hear from noob's that would suggest things I already know about.

I'll try to find some information on Diamond. Dia and Dia Queen would be the same company though.

For any Mitsubishi-built transmission, Diamond or DiaQueen SP is the fluid to use, however. Unless you have a pre-'01 Pajero/Montero or L200, which used Aisin-Warner transmissions compatible with Dexron III+ ATF, nothing else should be used.

Worthy of note, Dia Queen also supply coolant and engine oil for Mitsubishi, alongside heavy gear oil.

Falcon,

Your suggestion was correct. Dia Queen is a brand for Mitsubishi transmission fluid, still not sure about Diamond though, both may be related in some fashion but not sure on what one brand is vs. the other. Dia Queen is the new CVT transmission fluid which is stated on the Mitsubishi website, but no mention of Diamond or SP III. I might have to ask Mitsubishi about this, although I might get nothing but a run around and get nowhere.

Hope you have something to add.

No idea about Mitsubishi's Diamond ATF version, but the Hyundai SPIII version sold in the US is made by Petro Canada IIRC.

Originally Posted By: moklock
No idea about Mitsubishi's Diamond ATF version, but the Hyundai SPIII version sold in the US is made by Petro Canada IIRC.

Where did you come up with this?

I thought Hyundai, used Mitsubishi's fluid and was the same?

The Hyundai fluid is in their bottle design and was made in Canada as of ~3 yrs. ago when I was in the parts biz.

Edit: Hyundai SPIII MSDS although they typed in "Petro Caada"
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moklock
The Hyundai fluid is in their bottle design and was made in Canada as of ~3 yrs. ago when I was in the parts biz.

Edit: Hyundai SPIII MSDS although they typed in "Petro Caada"
LOL.gif

So does this mean that Mitsubishi's fluid could be made by the same manufacturer also?

Is Hyundai's fluid and Mitsubishi's fluid the same or not?
Remember I'm looking for Dia ATF SP.

The fluids are both the same spec. as I understand it but Mitsu and Hyundai may each use their own suppliers. I'm only familiar with the source of the fluid from working with Hyundai product.

As far as SP vs. SPIII, SP is a discontinued spec. much like how Mopar ATF+3 or GM Dexron I/II (and eventually III) are dropped since the newer spec. is backward compatible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back