GM Power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

arh

Hey guys-

I'm wanting to do a P/S flush on my 02 Silverado. Is there any advantage going to a synthetic? If so, what is everybody using? Or am I better off to just keep using the GM fluid? From what I can find, GM makes just a regular P/S fluid.

Thanks!

I just replaced the original fill GM PSF with Mobil1 ATF in my 2006 Sierra. So far , so good. This, in spite of GM specifying PSF only for my truck.

Synthetic PSF is a good idea in places that see below 0F much. Amsoil and Red Line both have very good synthetic PSFs that are good down to -40.

I've read that GM makes a synthetic power steering fluid for extreme cold. Maybe it's only available in Canada.

I'd just stick to the regular GM fluid. The latest fluid is better then the previous generation GM fluid - better for cold weather operation.

I use whatever fluid specified in the owner's manual, which is fluid that typically meets GM Spec 1050017 (maybe that's their P/N).
21.gif

I have a few quarts of Pyroil brand PSF. It states something to the effect that the fluid meets GM Spec 1050017 on the back of the container.

GM PSF is nothing special, from what I see, all ordinary PSF bottles state that they are approved for GM, Ford, and Chrysler products that use ordinary PSF.

The only types of PSF I see that are special are the Pentosin products that are needed in many German cars, PSF for Hondas, and MOPAR MS-10838.

Synthetic PSF will improve the ease of steering, and the life of the system. Royal Purple, Redline, and Amsoil make PSF that will do the job for your GM truck.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I use whatever fluid specified in the owner's manual, which is fluid that typically meets GM Spec 1050017 (maybe that's their P/N).
21.gif

I have a few quarts of Pyroil brand PSF. It states something to the effect that the fluid meets GM Spec 1050017 on the back of the container.

Gm has a new fluid that surpasses part number 1050017. Over the counter products do not meet the new spec, but they meet 1050017.

I tried replacing the fluid in out 07 Impala with Valvoline PSF, which meets 1050017, and the car doesn't like the stuff at all! I recently got a quart of the new fluid (part # 89021184), and it is significantly thinner from what I can tell. I'm gradually putting it into the system via periodic siphon and fills.

GM does make a semi-synthetic that they call Cold Weather fluid. It has been working fine in my '01 Silverado with rack and pinion steering. The fluid is light green. I reckon it should be available in Minnesota.

Funny you should mention the Valvoline PSF not working in your Impala. I tried it in an 05 Corvette and dang near couldn't drive the car. It was like it was to thick for the pump and power steering would come and go. Barely made it back home and immediately changed it back to the GM stuff.

The OP doesn't mention much about his '02 truck. So I'll offer this one thought of caution.

I, for one, have to be careful because my truck is a diesel, and it shares the powersteering fluid with the hydroboost unit for braking.

I am perfectly willing to use alternative fluids; in fact I prefer aftermarket lubes to OEM lubes, simply because of cost!

However, GM is very tight lipped about some of their fluid specs, and therefore it's often hard to find a fluid that meets "XYZPDQ12345" per GM. I ended up buying a quart bottle of GM's steering/brake fluid for my Duramax K-3500 truck, because I was unable to 100% assure myself that the aftermarket alternatives were applicable to my diesel truck power steering/brake booster set-up.

If the OP does not have a hydroboost set up, then there are some fairly good options out there.

BTW, if anyone has good, reliable info on a GM-hydroboost compatible fluid, post it up, please!

Last edited:
So this specifies actual power steering fluid instead of transmission fluid? My 3 vehicles all use transmission fluid.

In my 96 sunfire, I used supertech PSF using the turkery baster two years ago. so far, so good.

I switched to Royal Purple synthetic when I moved to MN. When below 0*F the steering was very stiff with the regular PS fluid. The steering would hardly turn when below -20*F. Now with the synthetic it steers very smoothly even when -30*F.

It also steers much smoother in the warm weather. I feel the synthetic is a benifit in the hot weather since the Silverado does not have a PS fluid cooler.

GM 12345866 - Cold Climate PSF. It's supposedly a synth. blend.

Last edited:
I've used synthetic ATF in my GM power steering systems for years. No issues so far.

But I did have two pump failures on the same vehicle while using approved power steering fluid. The first failed for no apparent reason... just didn't work one morning. This was on a '94 Chevy Corsica- 6 years old and 80k miles at the time.

The second was a heat failure. This involved a 110 degree day, a STEADY 50mph wind from the South (in BFE Kansas), driving west at 80mph in a construction zone with the lane tilted HEAVILY to the north. This situation required the p/s pump to put out pressure for probably an hour... when it was already hot as [censored] out. It boiled the fluid, puked it all over the belt... allowing the water pump to slip, resulting in an overheated engine. This was on a Sunday afternoon in Goodland KS. There's almost NOTHING in Goodland KS anyhow... and none of it is open on a Sunday afternoon. I wiped off the belt, filled the p/s with 10w30 motor oil (the only petroleum-based lubricant available at the one run-down gas station that was open), and limped the car home 180 miles across the barren wastes of Eastern Colorado... at 50mph with a growling p/s pump.

The fix involved a thorough p/s flush, new pump, a magnet in the reservoir to catch remaining metal, ran the p/s return line through a small transmission cooler, and filled the system with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF (has since been turkey-baster flushed on occasion with Mobil 1, DexVI, or Transynd, depending on what I have on hand). 9 years later, I'm still getting metal off that magnet (though very little these days), but the system has been trouble-free since.

Originally Posted By: onion
I've used synthetic ATF in my GM power steering systems for years. No issues so far.

But I did have two pump failures on the same vehicle while using approved power steering fluid. The first failed for no apparent reason... just didn't work one morning. This was on a '94 Chevy Corsica- 6 years old and 80k miles at the time.

The second was a heat failure. This involved a 110 degree day, a STEADY 50mph wind from the South (in BFE Kansas), driving west at 80mph in a construction zone with the lane tilted HEAVILY to the north. This situation required the p/s pump to put out pressure for probably an hour... when it was already hot as [censored] out. It boiled the fluid, puked it all over the belt... allowing the water pump to slip, resulting in an overheated engine. This was on a Sunday afternoon in Goodland KS. There's almost NOTHING in Goodland KS anyhow... and none of it is open on a Sunday afternoon. I wiped off the belt, filled the p/s with 10w30 motor oil (the only petroleum-based lubricant available at the one run-down gas station that was open), and limped the car home 180 miles across the barren wastes of Eastern Colorado... at 50mph with a growling p/s pump.

The fix involved a thorough p/s flush, new pump, a magnet in the reservoir to catch remaining metal, ran the p/s return line through a small transmission cooler, and filled the system with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF (has since been turkey-baster flushed on occasion with Mobil 1, DexVI, or Transynd, depending on what I have on hand). 9 years later, I'm still getting metal off that magnet (though very little these days), but the system has been trouble-free since.

Thank you for share experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back