New 370Z Overheating with mild track time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see what you guys think about this. There have been several cars including the G37 that are having oil temp problems and overheating when taken to the track compared the 3.5L HR engines these cars use to have. Here is a copy and paste of a sample post and also a copy and paste of a article on what is the cause of it.

-------

http://www.the370z.com/track-autocross-d...really-bad.html

and

http://my350z.com/forum/2009-370z/414330-370z-has-overheating-issues-on-road-courses.html

Had some mechanical issues at the track today, so figured I'd share with you guys to see if anyone else is having the same...

Phoenix International Raceway - Trackpedia
conditions: sunny, 70f
event: nasa hpde3... 4 runs about 20 mins each

I'm driving a 370z base model with sport package and M6... no mods so far, other than pulling about 100 pounds of plastic and spare tires... i only broke it in for ~200 miles prior to the event.

Overall, I think this car is a great starting point for a track / race car. It was reasonably fast, but I definitely wanted more out of 4th gear when going onto the nascar straight... I think once I have another few hundred pounds out of the car, and maybe +25hp in tweaks, the power/weight will be better. The suspension was not as stiff as I'm used to but even with stock setup it handles ok if you anticipate the gradual body roll. I definitely found that it was NOT able to hold the line I wanted for example in the carousel at PIR, but I think that'll be fixed with sticky tires.

So, the big issue i had is this... About 10 mins into my first run, I noticed that the oil temperature gauge was pretty much burried at 300f... As soon as that happened, my rev limiter moved from 7500 to 6000... Every time I'd accelerate through a gear it would prematurely cut the throttle at 6000rpm... Was extremely frustrating as it seemed to cut in at all the wrong times and slowed me down overall by at least 10%

It happened in all four of my runs, usually about 10 mins in.

I can only imagine this is going to get worse as I move to stickier tires and tweak the motor.

It gets worse... After the fourth and final run, it dropped the rev limiter from 6000 to 3500, just as I was pulling off the track. I decided to keep the car running after the session to let the engine cool. Tried to drive it home, and every time I accelerated through a gear it just cut the engine at 3500, sending it back down to 2500... I had to shift gears real fast... luckily 6th gear is good for 80mph at 3000rpm, so I made it home. Also, it turned out that after I shut off the car and restarted, the computer had reset and all was back to normal.

So, we need a solution to this ! I suspect Nissan has decided to get very aggressive on the computer parameters for protecting the engine from overheat in order to lower their warranty repair expenses. We either need to get some REALLY BIG oil coolers for this car, or someone needs to figure out how to hack the computer.

Thoughts ? Anyone else had this issue ?

------

And here is the explanation:

Apparently Stillen is working on one for the VQ37 thanks to the G37 guys. Should probably work for the 370Z too I assume?

"TORQUE CUT CONTROL (AT HIGH ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE)
ECM receives engine oil temperature signal from engine oil temperature sensor.
To avoid VVEL performance, ECM performs the engine torque cut control at high engine oil temperature.
If engine oil temperature is too high, engine oil viscosity will change. As a result, engine oil pressure is
decreased. This control is to control the VVEL operating angle by operating the VVEL actuator sub assembly.
If this control is operated, engine performance will decrease, then maximum engine speed is reduced a little,
for example.
NOTE:
If the engine oil temperature sensor is deteriorated, its characteristic will change.
In this case, the operating temperature for engine torque cut control might be decrease.
Perform Component Inspection of the engine oil temperature sensor to check for the deterioration.
Refer to EC-248, "Component Inspection". "

And Resolute responded to this with:

I think this was to be expected. The VQ37VHR was already known to be engineered with a sensitive eye on oil temperatures, well before the 370Z made it to production. There wasn't much Nissan could do since the G37's release that would indicate the 370Z wouldn't have this problem, except not use the VQ37VHR, and I imagine they need to install it in several vehicles for a certain number of years to recoup their engineering expenses for the new engine's VVEL system.

The VVEL is a fairly complex system, with a relatively high amount of reciprocating mass and multiple linkages. The lubrication demands are very high to ensure Nissan's life expectancy goals are met. The shearing loads and high pressures exerted on the oil dictate a proper viscosity be maintained in order to resist lubrication failure due to these loads. Because an oil's ability to resist shearing weakens as it gets hot and thins out; a phenomenon plotted as a function of viscosity and shear stability known as the Stribeck curve, it is essential that the oil maintain it's specified viscosity at the appropriate operating temperature. This is why Nissan has engineered a fail-safe which limits power until the oil cools back to its specified operating temperature, because at that temperature it should be at the proper viscosity to withstand the high loads of the VVEL system.

Nissan has already recommended a conventional oil with an ester additive (most likely a borate ester) for a TSB with the VQ37VHR. This was designed to reduce noise and ensure proper lubrication at a wider range of temperatures. However, even a synthetic will thin out with heat, and running a high-end synthetic does not guarantee that the thinner viscosity will have the film strength to resist the mechanical pressures exerted on it by the valvetrain's various components.

Like most engines which see racing or track endeavors, increasing the oil viscosity and capacity will most likely be the best solution to ensure proper lubrication at higher temps. There's a reason high-end sports cars like the M3 use a 60 weight oil. Tampering with the oil temperature sensor might very well become a track hound's legitimate option to maintain the engine's power potential, and as long as a heavier weight oil is used, they might be just fine in doing so. Time will tell.

Will (still wishes the 350hp VQ38HR was used in the new Z34 chassis, instead of the VQ37VHR)

Wow, I'd be very upset if I bought that car for track use (as this fellow seems to have done) and I couldn't even get a couple hot laps out of it without it cutting performance or it needing a cool down.

Maybe I'm just a crank, but this seems like a fine example of serious over-engineering. I'm not sure what VVEL is, and I'm not bothered to look it up, but I'm sure it's integral in extracting the ~330hp this engine is good for. You know what other engine is good for ~350hp, gets great gas mileage, and won't run its oil temperature over 300*F after 2 hot laps and have to shut down? The over ten year old LS1, with its no-[censored] cam-in-block OHV design.

Give me 5.7L and OHV any day over these over one of these expensive, complicated powertrains.

If you are going to drive a car around the track at 5000 rpm's or higher a dry sump oil system is the best thing.

GM designed the LS7 with a dry sump oil system, that's what Nascar engines use.

I know your engine is not a small block chevy or 1 of the newer LS series engines, but if you are going to drive a car a certain way, everything in the engine has to be designed to properly lubricate the engine.

I think this is a nice car you have, but it was not set up for this type of driving.

Aftermarket oil cooler to the rescue. I'd do that before messing with the computer. If you keep driving with 300 + degree oil temps, you can get to a heat soak situation where it just skyrockets and the oil becomes useless. Then
57.gif

time for some bigAss oil coolers on there, and some venting (that engine is PACKED in there way too tight, heat has nowhere to go).

To the O.P...

If that is typical of your driving (frequent track days), then you will have to upgrade your lubrication system to ensure proper engine protection...

1. Get a bigger / better oil cooler. The car already has a small oil to water cooler, but you may need something in addition to that.

2. Use a high quality syn oil with a higher viscosity (40 weight) and high HTHS to ensure protection at higher oil temps.

3. Increase oil sump - add a bypass system, oil cooler, etc, that will allow you to have a bigger sump of oil. This will help keep temps down.

4. This is expensive, but you can get a dry sump system made for your car. I've designed such systems before for small solo track cars that I've had my hand in building. They work very well though, and like someone else here has stated, that is what the current Corvette Z06 and ZR1 are using.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Aftermarket oil cooler to the rescue. I'd do that before messing with the computer. If you keep driving with 300 + degree oil temps, you can get to a heat soak situation where it just skyrockets and the oil becomes useless. Then
57.gif

An aftermarket oil cooler is a good idea but it is not going to drop his oil temps from 300 degrees to 200 degrees. It will drop it somewhat, maybe he needs a scoop to get the heat out of the engine.

I think the dry sump system on the LS7 Engine holds 8 quarts of oil.

I think the Nascar Engines dry sump oil system holds about 18 quarts of oil.

How much oil does this car's engine hold.

Hey G35,

Here's what I would do in your shoes.

First off, you mentioned you did this track day with only 200 miles on the motor. I would hypothesize that the motor wasn't even close to being broken-in, so clearances in the motor were still very tight. As a result, friction would be higher and therefore heat would be higher. Run a clean, high quality synthetic at normal to short oil change intervals (to prevent sludging in the many small oil passages I'm sure this motor has) until the motor is fully broken in. Only an oil analysis will help you figure out when it's broken in; some cars are ready as soon as 5000 miles, some cars it can take closer to 25k miles.

When you intend to race, make sure you have fresh oil of the highest quality you can afford. I think using an oil at least one grade heavier than for normal conditions would be a good place to start. If the motor regularly calls for a xW-40, use a xW-50. If it calls for a xW-30, I might even mix a xW-40 and xW-50. Also, try to avoid large-spread oils like 5W-50, 10W-60, and even minimize the amount of 5W-40 you use. The realtively higher concentration of viscosity index improvers in the large-spread oils will get beaten up too quickly at a track day and allow the oil to thin more rapidly.

Experiment with racing with a bit more oil in the sump. In some cars, people who regularly race recommend as much as one quart over the full mark on your dipstick. I don't know that I would recommend doing that in your very modern car, but maybe half a quart high wouldn't hurt. Doing this should help prevent starving the motor of oil under high-g maneuvers, and the extra capacity should cool the engine better.

Check the cooling system thoroughly. Is it full, and is there coolant in the overflow? Maybe put in some Redline Water Wetter. Is airflow to your radiator adequate? Make sure not to run your A/C on a race day to avoid feeding the radiator hot air. Does your car have an oil cooler? If so, does it have adequate air flow. If not, seriously consider installing one.

Ultimately, because the RPM cutoff is oil temp based, even if the oil is still an appropriate viscosity and is able to protect the motor, the ECU will still do it's thing when the oil temp gets too high. Disabling this feature may be necessary.

Good luck!

Last edited:
True, but for years we never had issues. My current 07 350Z with the VQ35HR doesn't have this problem. So it is sad that now the 370z is.

Originally Posted By: c3po
If you are going to drive a car around the track at 5000 rpm's or higher a dry sump oil system is the best thing.

GM designed the LS7 with a dry sump oil system, that's what Nascar engines use.

I know your engine is not a small block chevy or 1 of the newer LS series engines, but if you are going to drive a car a certain way, everything in the engine has to be designed to properly lubricate the engine.

I think this is a nice car you have, but it was not set up for this type of driving.

I do not own the car folks. I own a NISMO 350Z that doesn't have this issue. This guy has the newer 370z. My car was built for the track and any Z should be able to take it without a problem anyways. Just Nissan didn't think to expect people to use the sports car what it was made for I guess.

Originally Posted By: il_signore97
To the O.P...

If that is typical of your driving (frequent track days), then you will have to upgrade your lubrication system to ensure proper engine protection...

1. Get a bigger / better oil cooler. The car already has a small oil to water cooler, but you may need something in addition to that.

2. Use a high quality syn oil with a higher viscosity (40 weight) and high HTHS to ensure protection at higher oil temps.

3. Increase oil sump - add a bypass system, oil cooler, etc, that will allow you to have a bigger sump of oil. This will help keep temps down.

4. This is expensive, but you can get a dry sump system made for your car. I've designed such systems before for small solo track cars that I've had my hand in building. They work very well though, and like someone else here has stated, that is what the current Corvette Z06 and ZR1 are using.

Good luck.

200 miles of break-in is not sufficient....we need some fully broken in cars running an oil suitable for track usage before this becomes more of an issue than it is.

BMW did the same thing with their 3.0 liter twin turbo engine....300 degree oil temps were reached during tracking/heavy usage, and they installed an oil cooler which kept temps between 230-270 for the most part.

I expect an oil cooler will be added within 2 model years.

Joe

I hope this isn't becoming a trend for Nissan. First the GT-Rs eating their transmissions and now the VQ37 may not be able to handle track use? I'm a fan of Nissan's sports car history (I might have a Z if I wanted to drop the cash and deal with the gas mileage) so I hope they're not starting to cut R&D in the wrong places.

The GT-R eating trannies is far overblown. Already fixed and dealt with.

This VQ37 not handling track use.. so far this is just one case. Hold judgment until you see more of this happening.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
The GT-R eating trannies is far overblown. Already fixed and dealt with.

Just wait a few years. No tranny is going to be able to take the AWD launching abuse that many of these cars will be put through.

The G37's are having the problem with 1000s of miles already on them.

Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA
200 miles of break-in is not sufficient....we need some fully broken in cars running an oil suitable for track usage before this becomes more of an issue than it is.

BMW did the same thing with their 3.0 liter twin turbo engine....300 degree oil temps were reached during tracking/heavy usage, and they installed an oil cooler which kept temps between 230-270 for the most part.

I expect an oil cooler will be added within 2 model years.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back