Mobil 1 5W30 UOA; 6856mi in 05 Kia Spectra

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first car UOA (I posted one for my scooter late last year). Oil is M1 5W30, ST 3593A filter, K&N panel air filter. It was in service for 4 1/2 months. Mileage at change was 51,733mi.

A few short trips, about 2500 highway miles, and used in town a few mornings for my paper delivery route on cold mornings (normally use my scooter). No oil added over interval, consumed maybe 0.2 qt, no other additives. I was happy with the result, and refilled with my remaining 4.2qt of M1 5W30.

I'll admit I was getting a little antsy about a week before I decided to change it. This will put me changing the oil at the same time I do the 60k mi service for the timing belt change.

kiauoa.jpg

Oil is now a 5w20. Fe is a tad high, but not bad. Short trip driving will put more fuel in the oil.

You might want to try Valvoline Synpower.

Synpower is the next oil going in after this fill is dumped (thanks to the $10 rebate). 5W20 is okay by me since the car is also spec'ed for 5W20, not really concerned with that (but I agree it should not be shearing like that). I also have a jug of YB 5W20 lined up for use eventually.

I too am not impressed with the oil shearing down to a 20 grade.
I'm pretty much convinced that M1 5W-30 is no longer GP IV based.
How it meets the GM (Corvette) 4718M spec escapes me. Perhaps almost 7000 miles is too long an interval.

Originally Posted By: buster
IMO, M1 quality dropped when they went to two Mobil 1's.

I would agree. I just couldn't pass up a few 5qt jugs when a nearby Wallyworld had them on sale for $15 a few months back. The last of it is in my car now, and I probably won't go back, unless I try the AFE with the $10/5qts rebates in April.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I too am not impressed with the oil shearing down to a 20 grade.
I'm pretty much convinced that M1 5W-30 is no longer GP IV based.
How it meets the GM (Corvette) 4718M spec escapes me. Perhaps almost 7000 miles is too long an interval.

+10000

Same thing happen on my UOA on my cadillac. the oil sheared down to a 20 grade after 10k. I think Mobil did falls from Group IV

I'd expect this type of oil report from a cheap conventional oil, not a semi-pricey synthetic....

Nice wear numbers. As we know iron is almost meaningless. As usual bearing wear is almost non existant with M1. Good TBN.No problem with 8 to 10,000 OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back