Mobil 1 5W-30/4546 miles/2007 Mazdaspeed3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything looks pretty good; I'm going to continue running Mobil 1 5W-30 with an OCI of @5000 miles- that's assuming I keep the car...

Engine 2.3L Turbo, direct injection

Miles on engine 29870
Miles on oil 4546
Date sampled 1/13/09
Make Up Oil 0.0 qt.
OEM Mazda Filter
Mobil 1 5W-30

Aluminum 2
Chromium 1
Iron 25
Copper 2
Lead 1
Tin 1
Moly 82
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Ti 0
Potassium 0
Boron 46
Silicon 5
Sodium 16
Calcium 2165
Magnesium 13
Phosphorus 583
Zinc 730
Barium 0

Sus Visc @ 210F 57.2 should be 55-62
cST Visc @ 100C 9.43 should be 8.8-11.1
Flashpoint in F 385 should be >365
Fuel % Antifreeze 0.0
Water % 0.0 should be Insolubles % 0.4 should be TBN 3.8

Looks really good. The DSI turbo motors have a pretty large Fe footprint regardless of oil. Stayed in grade and fuel/insouls were low. Keep doing what you're doing.

Iron is way, way to high for less than 5k. PP, Amsoil other would most likely do better...not a plug for other oils, I'm just sure that would be the case....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Iron is way, way to high for less than 5k. PP, Amsoil other would most likely do better...not a plug for other oils, I'm just sure that would be the case....

How so? The Blackstone universal averages for this engine-based on an average OCI of 4130-are 18 ppm for Iron and 23 ppm for copper. Based on that, my numbers are 38% high for Iron and 90% low for copper. The iron and copper numbers have been dropping at each OCI. And, unlike most all PP UOAs I've seen for this engine, the M1 did not shear down out of grade.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I wonder how the Mobil 0w-40 would do in it as most people think it has the better base oil?

Mobil 1 will do a good job keeping your engine free of sludge and deposits, but wear control is not as good as it should be hence the higher Fe numbers we often see.

Hi,
buster - You said;
"Mobil 1 will do a good job keeping your engine free of sludge and deposits, but wear control is not as good as it should be hence the higher Fe numbers we often see."

The latter part of your statement would be very hard for you to substantiate!

I know Doug, it would be impossible for me to substantiate that, other than higher Fe UOA's (not a big deal but noticeably higher).

I think Ashland picked up on it and I personally believe M1 failed the Seq IVA wear test. Still a great brand of oils. I could be completely wrong but that is what I personally believe.

Originally Posted By: buster
I think Ashland picked up on it and I personally believe M1 failed the Seq IVA wear test.

It is worth pointing out that the API apparently did not believe that M1 failed the Seq IVA wear test.

I know Doug, it would be impossible for me to substantiate that, other than higher Fe UOA's (not a big deal but noticeably higher).

I think Ashland picked up on it and I personally believe M1 failed the Seq IVA wear test. Still a great brand of oils. I could be completely wrong but that is what I personally believe.

This is hilarious.

Valvoline makes an unsubstantiated claim and it is now "fact"?

This thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1353523#Post1353523

might be of interest for those buying into Ashland's claims.

The same 5w30 that is "inferior" is being run in the 24hrs of Daytona.

And when the Kendall-sponsored Porsche chooses Mobil 1 for their oil because their Kendall may not have been available, we are expected to ignore the fact that the engines that cost more than most of our cars, and being driven harder than our cars will EVER be driven, are running the very oil Ashland claims is inferior? And there are people eating this up.

How many of those Daytona cars were running Valvoline by the way?

Experience and facts speak volumes here.

We have a lot of EXPERIENCED racers and engine builders, with a LOT of MONEY at stake, and Mobil 1 being run in cars that are sponsored by OTHER oil manufacturers, yet people are still giving Ashland's claims lip service because ExxonMobil hasn't taken legal action? This is bloody ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Mickey
I think Ashland picked up on it and I personally believe M1 failed the Seq IVA wear test.

It is worth pointing out that the API apparently did not believe that M1 failed the Seq IVA wear test.

True.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
OVERK1LL - Thanks for addressing the application of M1 5W-30 as you have. It compliments a very good UOA here for MCompact - thanks!

You are very welcome Doug. I have learned a lot from you and greatly appreciate your contributions to this board.

Great look UOA indeed!
11.gif

Thanks to both Doug and OVERK1LL for your comments and suugestions.

The PP did drop out of grade though. fwiw.

That's my UOA quoted above... Recalling PP in this grade starts at a relatively low viscosity, I thought I'd do a little more research:

- Mobil 1 5W-30 starts its life at 64.8 cSt @ 40C, 11.3 @ 100C. From the OP's UOA, it sheared to 57.2/9.43.
- PP 5W-30 starts out at 57.5 @ 40C, 10.2 @ 100C. From my UOA, it sheared to 54.4/8.59.

So the Mobil 1 appears to be no less succeptable to shearing than PP. It simply starts out at a higher viscosity.

Thus, I plan on sticking with PP in this motor. I am considering the 15W-40 "diesel" synthetics used heavily in Europe on small, boosted/DISI motors, i.e. Delvac and Rotella T, but first will wait for a few more brave souls and their UOA's with these lubricants. The few UOA's thus far have been promising, but not convincing.

Originally Posted By: BeerLube

Thus, I plan on sticking with PP in this motor. I am considering the 15W-40 "diesel" synthetics used heavily in Europe on small, boosted/DISI motors, i.e. Delvac and Rotella T, but first will wait for a few more brave souls and their UOA's with these lubricants. The few UOA's thus far have been promising, but not convincing.

Beerlube, it will be interesting to see your next UOA. It looks to me like you are just coming out of the break in period. I just wanted to counter all of the M1 back patting and show that 25 ppm of iron in 4500 miles is not that impressive on this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back