Castrol GTX 10W30 8794 Miles1999 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I switched from OAI to Blackstone for this latest test since I like their format of not charging me until the analysis is performed. I will be using Blackstone from here on out. You can search my previous posts to see this same oil analyzed at 5K miles by OAI.

Current Analysis

1999 Honda Accord 4cyl 2.3L EX Auto
Oil: Castrol GTX 10W30
Filter: Purolator PureOne PL14459

Blackstone was the lab used.

This sample had about 3 months of time on the oil, 8,749 miles. No makeup oil added. Vehicle had 115,123 miles on the clock.

COMMENTS:
Glad to hear you didn't change the oil filter. We use the insolubles test to gauge oil filtration and oxidation, and your insolubles are low enough that we think oil filter can stay in place. Metals look pretty good, though lead is a bit higher than expected. Chances are this is a temporary particle streak through the bearings, and if so it should drop to average next time. We don't think you've run your oil too long, and if you wanted to go longer next time, you could try 10K. The TBN is still good at 2.4. Sodium and 7ppm of the silicon are additives in this oil.

ELEMENTS IN PARTS PER MILLION
Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 1
Iron: 7
Copper: 2
Lead: 14
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 4
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 1
Boron: 1
Silicon: 16
Sodium: 150
Calcium: 2160
Magnesium: 7
Phosphorus: 605
Zinc: 736
Barium: 0

PROPERTIES:
SUS Viscosity @210*F: 61.5
cSt Viscosity @ 100*C: 10.63
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.3
TBN: 2.4

I gotta say I'm impressed by this oil, especially considering it's regular o'l DINO...NOT SYNTHETIC! 10K miles on DINO, I didn't think it possible.

Not bad at all. I think the secret here is that you put 3k miles on this car every month, meaning mostly longer trips.

And you didn't change your oil filter? What prompted that decision? I mean, Blackstone says that was OK because of your low insoluables, but you didn't know that until you got the report back, right?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Not bad at all. I think the secret here is that you put 3k miles on this car every month, meaning mostly longer trips.

And you didn't change your oil filter? What prompted that decision? I mean, Blackstone says that was OK because of your low insoluables, but you didn't know that until you got the report back, right?

This is a commuter that I'm trying to maximize the cost of ownership on. The manual states to change the oil every 7,500 miles and the filter every 15,000 so I figured I'd try it and see how she went. Plus it's a Purolator PureOne filter which is one of the best. I made the right choice to wait.

Purolator Pure One filters too well...everything I have read says that they clog up much faster than other kinds and have to be changed more frequently...they can starve your engine of oil.

I'd run a WIX if you buy them one at a time. I myself buy mine in bulk and get the Pro-tec filters which are made by WIX for a 1.60 per filter! They are made to the same specs as the NAPA Silver which is also a WIX filter.

I must say that I am surprised that a dino oil can last so long. I have heard that at 5k dino is usually broken down and needs to be changed.

The GTX 10W30 didn't seem to shear at all.

I just changed the oil for my father-inlaw on his 2002 Accord. He is recovering from surgery and this was the first time I changed oil for him. I was amazed at how clean the cam and rocker arms looked under the oil cap. It was very clean with no sign of any varnish or sludge.

I asked him afterwards about his oil changes and he has been using GTX 5W30/fram on a 6 month change interval since the car was new. He puts on 5,000 to 6,000 miles in 6 months.

Last edited:
Shame to think people spend the money on synthetic and dump it in half the miles.

My advice would be to keep your intervals 8500 miles. You don't really want the detergents getting too worn out. This will help prevent any deposits.

Stick with the Castrol GTX....this engine loves it
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
How does a filter "starve an engine of oil" when it has a bypass valve?

Yeah, some do not have them...but even if so, I don't want unfiltered oil being circulated i any of my rides. to each his own...Castrol is a great dino oil..I used it since '92 until I switched to Mobil-1 in '01...

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Purolator Pure One filters too well...everything I have read says that they clog up much faster than other kinds and have to be changed more frequently...they can starve your engine of oil.

I'd run a WIX if you buy them one at a time. I myself buy mine in bulk and get the Pro-tec filters which are made by WIX for a 1.60 per filter! They are made to the same specs as the NAPA Silver which is also a WIX filter.

I must say that I am surprised that a dino oil can last so long. I have heard that at 5k dino is usually broken down and needs to be changed.

I've heard good things about Wix as well, but I'm gonna be sticking with the Purolator PureOne. I've used them for years.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
Speedy, I know you mentioned 'commuter' but how much of it is highway and how much city/stop-and-go ?

60% HWY 40% City

Wow, that's amazing results. That's a long OCI for a dino. I use the same oil in my vehicles that I use conventional. Makes me feel even better seeing UOA's like this.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
How does a filter "starve an engine of oil" when it has a bypass valve?

Yeah, some do not have them...but even if so, I don't want unfiltered oil being circulated i any of my rides. to each his own...

Technically, the oil takes several passes to become "filtered". Once it is in that state it can and does go "unfiltered", bypassing the filter media. The clean oil can go 100s, if not 1000s of miles w/o further filtration, relying on it's D&D package to do its' job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back