Mobil 1 5W-30 EP, with Particle Count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster

True, there are many additives that do not show up.

I think I mentioned that in my first post.

"Maybe something is not showing up which doesn't test"

Originally Posted By: steve20
I heard random iron particles are now being used for detergency in M-1, hence the lower Ca

Got to admit it's working,haven lost a engine yet!

Jeepers, the iron is just due to the PAO you PAO lovers love. You know, that base stock that has no inherent boundary lubricity? Tell 'em to throw in some more AN and POE to get that iron down. Oh, that would be the old, good M1 trisynthetic formula. Oh, Well.
--
--
--
Ring-Ring .... Ring-ring' "Hey MOTUL, you got any of that 300V left?"

Last edited:
Motul?
smirk2.gif
300V is nice. Others are over priced.

I do not think one wouldhave to be a lubrication engineer but you need a far more expensive test then what you get from a $20 UOA....

interesting that the phosphorous and zinc readings were 621 and 726...according to Mobil 1 website, those specs on that oil say "nominal 800 and 900". I guess "nominal" means "when done right" and the rest of the time, it's whatever we put in the bottle lol. I also wonder how perfectly accurate these OAs numbers are, but I will probably never know the true answer to that. It's good that people are doing these VOAs though, I would think. Keeps em honest...well, hopefully

I reeeeeeally need to read more on this site then (I'm a newbie). If there is a lot of bad talk about Mobil 1 on a site full of oil analysis people and "oil junkies", I may be using the wrong oil...I've somehow thought it was a good overall choice, but I'm open to new info

Pablo or somebody else more knowledgeable than me can chip in, but I would think that if you sent this very same sample to another lab that those phosphorous and zinc readings might be closer to the nominal values that Mobil says they are. Different labs measure slightly differently, and certain analyzed elements vary more than others, even when measured by the same lab. Before making any chiseled in stone decisions about using Mobil 1 oils, I'd do more reading. Most "bad talk" about Mobil 1 is really just idle chatter amongst OCD oil nerds (and yes, I'm one of them) who need something to talk about.

Even though I've never used them, Mobil 1 makes excellent oils, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them in the future.

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
interesting that the phosphorous and zinc readings were 621 and 726...according to Mobil 1 website, those specs on that oil say "nominal 800 and 900". I guess "nominal" means "when done right" and the rest of the time, it's whatever we put in the bottle lol. I also wonder how perfectly accurate these OAs numbers are, but I will probably never know the true answer to that. It's good that people are doing these VOAs though, I would think. Keeps em honest...well, hopefully

If you look at the "Three Samples- Three Results" thread nearby, you will see that Blackstone seems to routinely read a little lower on Zn and P than other labs, so the discrepancy you note may be their lab error and not from anything Mobil changed... or left out to save pennies!

Last edited:
thanks for the info...I'm still fairly new to the forum and have no experience with UOA's or VOA's, although I've always had a strong interest in motor oils and what's really behind the label, just never knew this info was available or how to get it. Love the forum...I'd be on it even more if my wife wouldn't complain :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back