Mobil 1 5W-30, 7520 mi, 08 Crown Vic Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Testing by Polaris Labs

Napa ProSelect oil filter

0 make up oil

Police service.

Too much Iron/lead.

Sodium level leads me to believe there is a formulation change to Mobil 1, see other report I posted on a separate unit.

Fe----32

Cr-----1

Ni-----1

Al-----3

Cu-----3

Pb----20

Si----11

Na----72

K------7

Mo---101

B----51

Mg---18

Ca--2636

P---702

Z---834

All other values = 0.

Fuel=
Visc@100C= 10.9

TBN = 4.53

Ox= 15

Nit= 22

Well the car motor may still be breaking in yet.

Mobil 1 oil seem to run higher iron levels in UOA's.

Fe is a bit high. Everything else is ok. Na could be a formulation change. Maybe it now passes the Seq IVA test. lol

Police service means it probably idles alot and is also started up alot every day. The idling would make the "mileage" higher than that. The constant starts could account for the higher iron.

Last edited:
TBN is acceptable and what are the condem numbers on the oil motor combination .The numbers are high but are they unaccepable?Something to ponder what would the numbers be with the same combo doing a startup and a 200 mile freeway trip per day till the exact miles are put on the oil.

not sure what the nogo numbers are on this application, but i thought the general rule was 150PPM. 32 for police use at this mileage seems quite good...

Police service??? You mean the car gets n miles on it, but gets a HUGE amount of hours on it sitting and idling, with oil at temperature, but little to no pressure?

Then it gets stomped on to go somewhere in a hurry?

Just want to make sure I have the service use correct... because if that is the case, id say the UOA is pretty good...

The UOA is pretty for a new police car! For the Fe being high, I think its more Mobil 1 related. Also, a lot of idling and a lot of startup per day would explain the high Fe reading. Just check the trends to make sure but right now, your results are pretty good.

Thanks, all. I agree that for the type of service (you had it exactly right, JHZR2) this is not a terrible report. It looks like I may be taking on the care of these cars and I may try some Schaeffer,s to see how that holds up.

I use M1 5-30 in my Grand Marq. and Focus and have done UOAs on both of them in the last 4 months with very good FE numbers.

Yes the spec oil is 20 wt, but 5W-30 has been used for years in this fleet. A local garage has been doing the services and this Mobil 1 is what they use. I also expect the 0W-20 to do better.

to recall, there have been some service bulletins about this application with 5w30. i think the gist of it was "if we didn't mean 5w20, we wouldn't have said 5w20".

which means 0w20 would of course work as good or better.

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
i think the gist of it was "if we didn't mean 5w20, we wouldn't have said 5w20".

I love it when it's subtle but clear that the manufacturer is frustrated.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Wow. A $2.99 oil filter, and things are just fine.

On a police car, no less...

Good point.

To the OP, what was the air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back