2005 GMC Envoy 4.2L 30k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did an engine swap on a 2005 GMC Envoy with the 4.2L inline 6. According to the oil chance sticker it had been approximately 30,000 miles since the oil and filter had been changed. I was pretty amazed that the engine ran as long as it did before spinning a couple of rod bearings. Just thought I would share my findings.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Originally Posted By: zulu
I guess the OLM was out to lunch or something. WOW...

Now that you saw that, made me think, customer mentioned she had the instrument cluster repaired not too long before the engine started making odd noises, hmmm.

Sean

I wonder what brand of oil was in there... Maybe Pennzoil with all that Wax?
LOL.gif
hehehe Just kidding. For 30K that looks like it held up very well considering it was a Dino oil.

My family has the engine in our 2003 Trailblazer EXT. The Vortec 4200 is an excellent engine. They have 7qt sumps if I recall which is probably what helped somewhat. The OLM usually lights at around 10k on these vehicles.

I guess "...she had the instrument cluster repaired..." just about says all we need to know...

Was this a warranty replacement?

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
I guess "...she had the instrument cluster repaired..." just about says all we need to know...

Was this a warranty replacement?

Cheers!

No it wasn't, just helping a customer out. She picked up a used engine very reasonable off of Ebay and we swapped it out. Hopefully won't make the same mistake again.

Man that's nasty. My brother had an F150 that he put 52K on, never changed the oil/filter once. Just added a qt when it knocked. Was running fine but makes me wonder what it looked like inside.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Digusting. Looks like mud in your hand. With a little parts washing and some new ring and bearings is it salvagable as a rebuild?

Ummm, I don't think it is worth the effort, she found a 30k engine on Ebay for $600, pretty good deal IMO.

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. I've never seen an Atlas/Vortec torn down to that degree. I owned a 2005 Trailblazer 4.2L. There was lots I liked about that truck. This one was 4x4 I presume? How'd you like that axle that runs through the oil pan? (you can just about make out the 'cross-tube' in the pan.

Joel

thanks for showing us....it is amazing how some people can spend 25,000$ for a vehicle but not 25 bucks for a oil change..or even pay attention

panther mike, maybe i know your brother...my friend did exact same thing on his ford ranger...would only add oil when it knocked...another friend of mine did same thing...i think his wifes cavalier went to 215k, the last 70k on same oil...with oil added...funny stuff

Originally Posted By: chet2
thanks for showing us....it is amazing how some people can spend 25,000$ for a vehicle but not 25 bucks for a oil change..or even pay attention

Agree 100%. Guarantee this will happen to the new engine again. You wasted your time 'helping this person out'...

Great info and pics,thanks,man. Now I feel better regarding my 6 month 3500-4000 mile oci with PP5-20.

I put a 12,000 mile interval on our Envoy with Mobil 1 back in 2005. That interval included a move from Rochester, NY to Houston, TX while towing a U-Haul trailer. I sent it off to Blackstone and it came back with an excellent report.

Those engines are tough, but I guess they aren't tough enough for some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back