oil capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the quick replies. Six quarts it will be. That Motorcraft site won't let me in. It says I am not authorized. I knew that.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Frank D:
That Motorcraft site won't let me in. It says I am not authorized. I knew that.
smile.gif

Go here:
http://www.motorcraftservice.com

Then on the left, click on the "Owner Information" link. You'll be prompted to select the year and model, then you'll see an "Owners Guide" item. Click it, then click the "View Content" button. The 2.6MB PDF Owner's Manual will then display in your browser.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Start with 5. Never add without checking.

-T

5L may register on the stick as being enough, but it won't be enough when under high RPM. His sump will run dry!
You can go search out contour.org and ask around there. I used to be a member and I've always added 6L.
With reference to 5W20 don't. The 2000 manual recommends 5W30, I'd even be tempted to go 10W30 for summer use. This motor runs HOT!

You may even be tempted to replace your water pump. The OEM uses a plastic impeller that is prone to failure. You can get aftermarket metal ones that will give you less trouble.

In the winter, make sure you have a good synthetic ATF fluid in it if it's a 5spd MTX tranny. Ford also sells a Friction Modifier that is recommended. It was a real PITA trying to shift into 2nd in the cold. Sometimes I had to wait 15min before I could drive it.

[ May 06, 2005, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: luvs2drive ]

Frank D
Read this. Very useful!!!!!
contour.org
There is a "How To" for oil change there. 6Qts!

There is even a link to this site!
grin.gif
They know about this site over there.

Here is another site for Cougars in specific. They even have a NY Chapter!
NECO Forums
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I owned this car for almost 5yrs and learned a lot about it.

[ May 06, 2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: luvs2drive ]

quote:

Originally posted by luvs2drive:

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Start with 5. Never add without checking.

-T

5L may register on the stick as being enough, but it won't be enough when under high RPM. His sump will run dry!
You can go search out contour.org and ask around there. I used to be a member and I've always added 6L.
With reference to 5W20 don't. The 2000 manual recommends 5W30, I'd even be tempted to go 10W30 for summer use. This motor runs HOT!

You may even be tempted to replace your water pump. The OEM uses a plastic impeller that is prone to failure. You can get aftermarket metal ones that will give you less trouble.

In the winter, make sure you have a good synthetic ATF fluid in it if it's a 5spd MTX tranny. Ford also sells a Friction Modifier that is recommended. It was a real PITA trying to shift into 2nd in the cold. Sometimes I had to wait 15min before I could drive it.

Please read what I typed. I said start with 5. Adding 6 quarts without checking could over or under fill the engine. It all depends on your filling and checking procedures. I've seen two different people change the oil on an engine and get a 1 quart difference.

-T

Again thanks for the charts and the advice. I'll start with 5 qts, run the engine for a while, turn it off, wait a bit and then recheck the level and top it off with the final .8 qt.

I bought a used 2000 Cougar. It does not have an owner's manual in it. Does anyone know how much oil it takes with a filter change. The engine is a 2.5 litre duratec V6. Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Frank D:
I bought a used 2000 Cougar. It does not have an owner's manual in it. Does anyone know how much oil it takes with a filter change. The engine is a 2.5 litre duratec V6. Thanks.

Here is a link to Motorcraft where you can download the latest manual for any Ford or Lincoln Mercury vehicle.

Motorcraft Technical Resources Website

I looked it up and the 2000 Cougar with the 2.5L Duratec V6 takes 5.8 quarts which includes the filter.

[ May 06, 2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Bobio ]

In the days of my ownership of a V6 Duratec they used to recommend less than 5.8L I think it was 5.2 or something. Then Roush found a problem with that. Nice to see a new higher limit of 5.8L
Put about 6L in it and be confident you will be fine. It was found that the oil pump was so strong on these motors, that under high RPM use, the pump would almost completely empty the oil pan and put all the oil in the heads, and the oil passages wouldn't allow a return of the oil fast enough. This could result in oil starvation failures under aggressive driving. Your dip stick should read over-full to know you are in the right range.

[ May 06, 2005, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: luvs2drive ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back