M1 5W30 2000 4Runner 3.4L 5600mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post and my first UOA. I'm a little concerned with the results, which seem to show high wear. Sorry about the columns note lining up. I was having trouble copying the Blackstone PDF file. Anyway, Blackstone says:

MIKE: The first sample from your 4-Runner doesn't look too good, though we aren't ready to call any of these readings
a major problem. Universal averages show typical wear levels from this type of engine after ~5,700 miles on the oil.
Silicon may account for a lot of the wear if it's from dirt getting past the air filter, so check this system closely. The
viscosity was a little high and that could show the oil has seen some excess heat. The TBN was still okay at 3.8, so the
oil has some active additive left. 1.0 is low. Try a ~3,000 mile oil run next and check back to monitor.

ALUMINUM 8
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 49
COPPER 12
LEAD 39
TIN 3
MOLYBDENUM 87
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 53
SILICON 26
SODIUM 67
CALCIUM 2059
MAGNESIUM 16
PHOSPHORUS 568
ZINC 799
BARIUM 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 63.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100C 11.08
Flashpoint 420
Fuel % : 0
Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.3

TBN: 3.8

Last edited:
Silicon is high and sodium (from road salt or ocean spray?) is especially high. Wear is high too and its all around wear, bearings and iron parts. I think you should check your intake system for a leak and replace your air filter if it's past due (no cotton filters).

The viscosity is not far off this oil's virgin viscosity...the Blackstone person didn't know that apparently.

Yeah, i'd probably check the filtration system out good.

The hose clamps on the intake tubes do work loose over time & could cause some issues. Make sure the filter lid is on securely as well.

First run with synthetic? I know i wasn't too impressed with my UOA on my first run.

Thanks for the feadback guys.

Yes, this is my first run with synthetic. In fact, the vehicle is new to me and this was my first full OCI. Not only did I change to synthetic, I also ran 3-4 tanks of fuel system cleaner (Tectron and Redline). I am wondering if maybe some junk was released into the oil during my cleaning, not to mention the additional cleaning with the synthetic.

I've given the intake system a quick once over and it looks intact. The Toyota filter has 6K on it. There are no obvious leaks, although it was cold tonight so I checked quickly. :)

I think my next step is to send in another sample at 3000 miles and see how we do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MtnMike

Yes, this is my first run with synthetic. In fact, the vehicle is new to me and this was my first full OCI. Not only did I change to synthetic, I also ran 3-4 tanks of fuel system cleaner (Tectron and Redline). I am wondering if maybe some junk was released into the oil during my cleaning, not to mention the additional cleaning with the synthetic.

I've given the intake system a quick once over and it looks intact. The Toyota filter has 6K on it. There are no obvious leaks, although it was cold tonight so I checked quickly. :)

I think my next step is to send in another sample at 3000 miles and see how we do.

Most of the time, you never know how the oil changes were taken care of by the previous owner. Don't know about the fuel system cleaners.
When i got my first UOA, the silicone came back a little high, so i checked all the hose clamps and they were a little loose. You have to tug on them a little, and if they move they're loose and should be tightened. They take a 10mm socket.

So did you change the oil & filter at this UOA?
Hopefully you did.

Your next UOA should look a lot better. And hopefully the UOA will show you can start to go longer intervals in the near future. Mobil one is known for good results up to 10k+.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas

So did you change the oil & filter at this UOA?
Hopefully you did.

Yep! I've been using OE Toyota filters, but I'm thinking about switching to Pure One.

Last edited:
Ouch. those are really, really high numbers for a Toyota. hopefully you get it sorted out....

To me this looks like an air leak other than the intake-like a pcv or some other point in the crankcase.

The second possibility, though I would think less likely, would be this vehicle has something other than factory coolant in it("regular green" or something with silicates) and their is actually a small coolant leak. On smaller leaks the glycol can evaporate out and not test +.

Like I said the former is more likely, but a couple of thoughts, anyway.

Good Luck!

REDDOG

MtnMike,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
To me this looks like an air leak other than the intake-like a pcv or some other point in the crankcase.

The second possibility, though I would think less likely, would be this vehicle has something other than factory coolant in it("regular green" or something with silicates) and their is actually a small coolant leak. On smaller leaks the glycol can evaporate out and not test +.

Like I said the former is more likely, but a couple of thoughts, anyway.

Good Luck!

REDDOG

Thanks for the comments RedDog.

I am not losing any coolant that I can tell; at least not in the 7000k miles since I've had the system flushed and filled by the local Toy dealer.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to track down air leaks? I was considering using a stick of incense and seeing if any smoke was sucked in at the intake or vacuum system lines. A GM mechanic friend of mine suggested spraying brake cleaner on the gaskets and junctions, while listening for changes in the idle speed.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
MtnMike,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Thank ya. This forum has been a great find. I've got an unexpected new hobby and it's called Oil.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
MtnMike,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Thank ya. This forum has been a great find. I've got an unexpected new hobby and it's called Oil.
grin2.gif

Another one bites the dust! Welcome to endless hours of obsessing over something most people hardly give a passing thought!

I understand why the average Joe would purchase the 5w30 or the 5w20 to pour into their engines......

But hasn't Blackstone shown conclusively, along with Mobil's site that 0w30 and 0w20 are superior oils?

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
I understand why the average Joe would purchase the 5w30 or the 5w20 to pour into their engines......

But hasn't Blackstone shown conclusively, along with Mobil's site that 0w30 and 0w20 are superior oils?

I am the average Joe and the only reason why I'm using 5W-30 is because it's what Toyota says to use.

Seriously I'm thinking about switching from Mobile 1 to a different oil, maybe Penziol Platinum 5W-30. And maybe a heavier weight for the summer.

I would definitely check for any air leak. I would relax on the fuel cleaners for awhile which could have attributed to some wear. cut the current oil change interval in half, change oil, and resample, post it when you get it. See if wear stay up.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Should of used Valvoline....5X better.

Valvoline may have strong substance to their claim....and I am sure they are happy that some of you keep helping them advertise!

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Should of used Valvoline....5X better.

Valvoline may have strong substance to their claim....and I am sure they are happy that some of you keep helping them advertise!

That's odd, because M1's API license was renewed on the 5th....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back