Eneos 5w/40, 5009 miles, 08 Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends oil analysis.
uoa.JPG

That is honestly an ungodly good report for a Subaru turbo engine barely out of break-in. Your wear metals are VERY low for the mileage on the engine and in the oil, you've got the telltale manganese showing likely fuel dilution but the flashpoint is pretty decent. The oil sheared down to a 30 viscosity, which is concerning....but, well, this looks great.

Honestly - Tell your friend not to get an oil analysis so [censored] early in the engines life. It introduces alot of "artifact" from break-in. I'd say this is a great report for a Subaru 2.5 turbo after 45000 miles.....at 12000 miles, with 5000 on this oil, this report is fantastic.

Joe

It can be very helpful to get UOAs during the break-in as folks like Terry can separate the normal break-in from excessive metals & warn of something not "breaking in" correctly.

What filters were used & their interval?
What was the previous oil?
What is the driving style?

Also he used purolator filters, last oil change was penn plat 5w30 ~3Kmiles, 65% city 35% freeway.

I myself have been using Mobil 1 on a 2007 honda accord about 18k on the total mileage, and will get UOA once I reach my OCI using M1 filter. Besides reading that M1 has had the bad reputation of showing high Iron/Fe levels is there anything else wrong with that oil. I will use Penn Plat for the following oil change, since people have had really good engine wear levels.

Last edited:
From your friend illmatic?
grin2.gif

Does anyone think the low vis is from break-in?

19.gif

-Dennis

FYI - Subaru requires a 3750 mile OCI during warranty on these engines.

I'm running PP 5w30 w/ a Purolator PureOne filter and loving it. About $23-28 per oil change and the engine doesn't consume a drop of oil.

These engines tend to shear the [censored] out of Dino 5w and 10w30s....glad your friend is using synthetic :)

Joe

Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA

These engines tend to shear the [censored] out of Dino 5w and 10w30s....glad your friend is using synthetic :)

Joe

I don't think Subaru is any worse tnan other engine. Many engines take 5W-30 dino oils to 8.5 cSt. after 2000 miles. Doesn't seem to be an issue.
But with the turbo I would stay with syn.

Oil did well. Sheared a fair bit, but still did well. Should do 7500-mile intervals easily.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back