Ford 4.6 how many use 5w30 instead of 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just Curious how many have a late model 2003- 2008 Ford or Mercury with the 4.6 v8 and use 5w30 instead of the recommended 5w20 and is there anyone using another weight of engine oil?? Also what brand oil and filter does everyone prefer for the 4.6

I've only used the MC 5-20 on my stang. I've only used the 820 filter until this change and am considering dumping the AAP filter for the 820 because of some stuff I've read.

I use 5W30 in my 2000 Crown Victoria because my manual and the sticker on the fan shroud says so. I believe in 2001 or 2002 model years for the CV they changed to 5W20.

820 with the Silicon valve is the best value. Once, I put a different brand of filter on it...ticking at start-up caused me to change back within about a week.

I mixed a couple of quarts of 5w-30 PP with four quarts of 5w-20 PP a few times. I just had some 5w-30 that I needed to use up. UOA's were always great.

These engines will run for longer than the body will last if you use a decent 5w-20 with appropriate OCI's. I ran PP over 10,000 miles several times...but, they were 95% highway miles. YMMV.

I run Amsoil XL 5W-20 with an Amsoil filter. It's an annual (5-6k) change.

A lot of guys in my Mustang club run 5w-30. A lot of them are also hooked on Mobil1. MC is probably #2.

I am running Amsoil 0W-20 right now, when I run out of the stuff I may go back to Amsoil XL 5W-20 or the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 since it is a good price at Wal-Mart.

I used M1 5W-30 in my '99 4.6 2V and in my '01 F150, I use PP 5W-20 in my 4.6 4V now. Motorcraft FL-820S on the '99-'01 2Vs, Motorcraft FL-1A on the 4V.

Mobil 1 oil filters are a waste, and I've seen a few engines that have eaten the anti-drain back valves out of those filters. Never once heard of a problem with a Motorcraft filter other than a lack of attention (double ringed filter).

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I used M1 5W-30 in my '99 4.6 2V and in my '01 F150, I use PP 5W-20 in my 4.6 4V now. Motorcraft FL-820S on the '99-'01 2Vs, Motorcraft FL-1A on the 4V.

Mobil 1 oil filters are a waste, and I've seen a few engines that have eaten the anti-drain back valves out of those filters. Never once heard of a problem with a Motorcraft filter other than a lack of attention (double ringed filter).

remote filter on the 99?

I think the only good reason to go up to a heavier oil in the modular 3V/4V engines would be operation in hot climates or a lot of hard work. Lots of tow/haul work, for example, where the oil temp goes high and stays for long periods under heavy loads. I can't speak to a 4.6L in a car, but I monitor engine oil temp on my '05 F150 5.4L 3V and it seldom reaches 210/212 (the temps for the hot viscosity rating in case you didn't know), even on a long freeway drive in hot (for here) weather. I haven't done any long tows, at least over about 20 miles, but have done some short, very heavy tows (loaded grain trailers) and oil temp does not rise much above 209 over about 15 miles on 80+ degree days. Now that cold temps are here it runs about 185 on a long haul. At around 90F, it runs 200-206F.

In the end, if you look at the good to high quality 5W20s, you will see they are between 8 and 9cSt at 100C (212F), which is at the high end of the grade. If you look at UOAs, you will also see that they are generally very shear stable, so they stay in grade. Many 5W30s are at the low end of the 30 grade to start and a lot tend to shear down a little (or a lot) at the end of an OCI, some into 20 grade or nearly so (of course SAE 30 is a pretty narrow band, isn't it?).

Bottom line, I don't see a lot of gain going to a 5W30 but not a lot to lose either. If you live in a hot climate, you'd have a little cushion to account for heat, especially if you used one of the better 5W30s that don't shear much.

You hear of a few folks running 10W40 or 15W40 without any disclosed problems but, personally, I don't see any need to go above the SAE 30 grade in a modular without some verified reason... like french fry tank oil temps. I haven't been able to learn what the viscosity threshold is, but the cam timing advance mechanisms and tensioners are reputed to be sensitive to oil viscosity. I don't know exactly what happens in that case. In a hot climate, probably very little, but imagine a 20F 15W40 cold start in an engine designed for 5W20!!!

I have read where Red Line Oil does not recommend a 20W-50 for vehicles whose oil temperatures are below 225 degrees.

In a 4.6 isn't the camshaft in the top of the engine, thicker oil is old school, unless you are drag racing.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I'd like to know how many use 10w30 in their 4.6s.

I'd be willing to bet that more 4.6's run this grade than anything else. 2 reasons:

1. A LOT of 4.6-powered cars are owned/used by some form of a fleet - police, taxi, service vehicle. Cheapness of maintenance is key - and a bulk drum of basic 10W-30 is probably your cheapest option.

2. A LOT of 4.6's are installed in big, old-fashioned 'luxury' cars that are reminders of 1970's cars. In turn, a lot of these cars are owned by older folks, who may be stuck in the '10W-30/10W-40 is best' mentality from that same period.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I'd like to know how many use 10w30 in their 4.6s.

I just picked up a nice used '03 F150 5.4L a couple months ago. She has MC 5W20 in for winter, but I plan on using up my stash of GTX 10W30 next spring. I'll be towing ATV's, Jeeps, & my buggy. I'll probably do a UOA mid summer.

FWIW, an old friend of mine (God rest his soul) used 10W40 in everything for decades (yep, even in winter, despite my recommendations). His last rig was a '02 F250 5.4L that always ran great. He maintained many rigs with 10W40 for his tree service.

In all seriousness, use whatever helps you sleep better. Neither will be bad for your engine. The 4.6L did NOT change in 2001 to accept a lighter weight oil. It changed to incorporate PI head on the CV, MGM, and TC. In 99' the mustang already had PI heads. So using a 5w-20 on an early 4.6L is no different than the newer ones. On police models, many use 5w-20 and with the oil cooler, there is no danger of overheating the oil. They still get over 300k on them after they are retired into taxi cab service. In 2008, either oil is excellent. Back in 2001, I would not have touched 5w-20 with a 10ft pole. It DID shear to a 10wt, now it does not shear at all.

Oh, and BTW, use ONLY filters that have the ADV in the base (near the threaded part) and also it needs to be silicone, not rubber nitrile. The heads do not have replacable cam bearings, so dry starts will ruin the heads. My lincoln would chatter every single start until I installed the FL-820's.

Filters I have proof that work well are the FL-820s, amsoil Ea011, and the new style WIX 51372. I have not personally tried any others so I can't speak for them. If you want to know what filters NOT to use drop me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back