Mobil 1 5w30 4,500 miles/ 96 Ford Taurus SHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my first ever analysis. Given the mileage on the vehicle 133K, I don't think it's too bad. Especially since I couldn't verify how the vehicle had been treated most of it's life.
Anyone have any suggestions?

JACOB: Nothing too unusual showed up in the first sample from your Taurus. Iron was a bit above
average, which may show excess wear at a steel part, but as all other wear looks good we aren't ready to
call this a problem. Maybe the engine is just showing its age. Universal averages for the 3.4L are based on
an oil run of ~5,000 miles. If you're okay with iron, try 5,000 miles next time. As long as wear doesn't
increase too much we think that oil change interval should work okay for you. No harmful contaminants
were found. Check back to establish wear trends.

First number is mine/second number is universal averages
Oil change 4500 miles
Aluminum 3/3
Chromium 1/1
Iron 15/9
Copper 3/3
Lead 0/2
Tin 1/0
Molybdenum 70/184
Nickel 1/0
Manganese 0/0
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 0/1
Boron 38/31
Silicon 8/11
Sodium 18/10
Calcium 1993/1854
Magnesium 13/77
Phosphorus 611/648
Zinc 684/797
Barium 0/0

SUS Viscosity @210F 57.5/ 55-62
cST Viscosity @100C 9.49/ 8.8-11.1
Flashpoint F 380/ 365
Fuel% Antifreeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.3/ <0.6

Looks pretty good. Interesting that you have half the mileage on the oil as Buster's Accord run (a couple of posts above yours), but the iron is the same!

Sodium is just a bit high - don't know if you used an oil w/sodium in it recently, but that MIGHT be something to keep an eye on....although you dont seem to be showing any coolant right now.....

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't say what was run through it in the past. This was the first oil that I put through the car since buying it earlier this year.

I repaced the M1 with Maxlife. I'm keeping the same brand filter, and running it for the same mileage, just to see how it compares.

Last edited:
If all I can squeeze out of M1 is 5K miles, then for the price it's definitely not a great deal. As mentioned,I am going to test several different oils through my car, just saying.

Originally Posted By: SinisterK9
If all I can squeeze out of M1 is 5K miles, then for the price it's definitely not a great deal. As mentioned,I am going to test several different oils through my car, just saying.

I agree. For that you might as well use conventional if you need to change by 5k.

Tomorrow, I change the M1 out of the Civic. It's at about 6K miles. So after I send it in, I'm going to compare and see if the Honda treats the M1 the same as the Ford did.

Last edited:
What about the total base number in the sample? Could be very interesting to know for next OCI.

With my car, iron numbers are high (40) but I think its mobil 1 5w30 relative. All the others is normal, looks same as you. I did the OCI at 10k miles on the oil.

Frankly, I think it's a very nice looking report. Iron is the only high element and that's basically a constant with Mobil 1. It would be nice to see the TBN, but judging from the available info, I wouldn't be surprised if you could do 6k or 7k miles easily. Insolubles are only half of Blackstone's limit, and with a silicon value of 8 your air filter seems to work quite well.

Just curious, why is Iron typically higher with M1? I'm new to oil testing, and to this site in general.

Filter is K&N.

Lots of speculation on this topic. The higher iron with Redline is typically attributed to "leeching" because of the nature of it's ester content. Nobody seems to know this is the case with M1 or not as well.

I will add that it's only particular grades; primarily the 10w30 and the 5w30 (this being the most prominent) that display this characteristic.

Last edited by a moderator:
My best educated guess is that M1 allows rusting of ferrous parts, namely the cylinder walls. If this is the case, it's a very small amount; only enough to show up in a UOA and not likely to be visible if you could look inside the motor. My guess is due to the fact that only iron is strangely elevated; not aluminum and not chrome, which you would expect if there was increased wear. I bought a motorcycle once that had been stored for 3 years; the first UOA I did had iron over 800ppm while all other measurements were normal. In that case, rust was obviously the culprit.

Originally Posted By: SinisterK9
Just curious, why is Iron typically higher with M1? I'm new to oil testing, and to this site in general.

Filter is K&N.

I share the same opinion has nicre and have heard this explanation before.

I wonder if there have been any UOA's of M1 posted where the user had run a steady diet of 2 stroke oil in the fuel? That should theoretically prevent some of the rust from forming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back