Honda Snow Blower hydrostatic drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTP

I need to add Hydrostatic fluid to my Honda Snow Blower. It is calling for only Honda hydrostatic fluid. I have call around and I have been only able to find it online and its pricey. Does anyone know can I use other branded Hydrostatic fluid with out causing problems?

Honda used a lot of hydrostatic drives sourced from Tufftorq. Tufftorq typically specs 10w30 motor oil for their drives. I'd choose a nice heavy-duty engine oil with great cold temp pumpability. Really old hydrostats ran 20wt, newer stuff 30, 40 or 50wt for commercial duty. You could even go middle-ground with your snowblower and use a 5w-40 like Shell Rotella-T.

Joel

You can get the Honda Hydrostatic Fluid at any commercial lawn mower place. Did you try the place where you bought the snowblower.

Thanks for the help. I did try the place I bought it at and they have it on order but not sure when it will be in. I have also tried about 10 other places with no luck. I thought there might be an alternative.

I have a quart in my garage that has not been open and I can easily get some more if you are in a real hurry.

I do not think it is going to snow in Maryland any time soon.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
I use this in the Honda 928S Snow Blower and Simplicity Tractor.

Both Tuff Torques.

Works great..all season formula. Meets Deere's specs.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ath.aspx

Yep, that 5w30 Amsoil would be a perfect oil for a tiny snowthrower trans application like this, but again, it's a 30wt motor oil. Any of'em will do perfectly.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Pete591
What viscosity is the Honda fluid?

No idea where Honda sources it from, but can almost guarantee it's a motor oil in the 30wt range.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back