PP 0w-20, 7501 Miles, 2000 Honda Insight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back another UOA from Blackstone for another run with Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20. You can find my first analysis here: Analysis with 5126 miles on PP 0w-20. My copper is still high, which worries me -- even though Blackstone says it isn't at a problem level.

Code:

MI/HR on Oil 7,501

MI/HR on Unit 44,998

Sample Date 01/03/08

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts.

My Unit Universal Average

ALUMINUM 3 6

CHROMIUM 0 1

IRON 5 10

COPPER 30 11

LEAD 0 1

TIN 1 0

MOLYBDENUM 51 193

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 1 1

BORON 4 87

SILICON 17 13

SODIUM 1 24

CALCIUM 1943 2241

MAGNESIUM 10 104

PHOSPHORUS 606 748

ZINC 738 902

BARIUM 0 0

My Values Values Should Be

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 52.0 46-59

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.87 6-10.2

Flashpoint in °F 375 >385

Fuel % 0.5
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3

Si is somewhat high for the amount of miles - could be some abrasive wear on copper parts b/c of it.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

addyguy, my silicon has always been around this level, even after changing my air filter. I'm using a Wix air filter, and wondering if I should be using something else.

HTSS_TR, I purchase my PP 0w-20 from here: [non-sponsor link]

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited by a moderator:
If the source was intake abrasives it would elevate our Al and Fe ..not just copper ..at least if it's coming through the throttle body.

Gary, thanks for the information. While I'm glad I'm not having high aluminum and iron wear, I do wish that this issue was as easy to fix as replacing an air filter. I think I'm going to continue hoping that the wear is from my oil cooler.

I think if you used a higher visc oil like PP 5w30 your copper cound should go down. I had the same problem with another car and went this route and solved the copper problem.

I am surprised at the Calcium being less than 2000ppm. The other varieties have Calcium close to 3000ppm.

this being an insight, use of a 5w oil is not recommended. this car, like the prius, has engine start/stop cycles at every stop of the vehicle. use of a 5w oil may not provide the proper lubrication on the start cycles, especially when the car is transitioning to operating temps (although it will not do the s/s cycles when the engine is really cold).

i have a sample i am getting ready to send to blackstone with 5k on it, using Honda oil. will post as soon as i get the results.

Originally Posted By: Bryan K. Walton
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

addyguy, my silicon has always been around this level, even after changing my air filter. I'm using a Wix air filter, and wondering if I should be using something else.

HTSS_TR, I purchase my PP 0w-20 from here: [non-sponsor link]

Thanks,
Bryan

Do we have a sponsor on here that has PP 0W20??
why delete where he purchased it from?

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
this being an insight, use of a 5w oil is not recommended. this car, like the prius, has engine start/stop cycles at every stop of the vehicle. use of a 5w oil may not provide the proper lubrication on the start cycles, especially when the car is transitioning to operating temps (although it will not do the s/s cycles when the engine is really cold).

i have a sample i am getting ready to send to blackstone with 5k on it, using Honda oil. will post as soon as i get the results.

Care to elaborate?

I thought the Prius calls for 5w-30?

OK, I know this may be grasping at straws, but . . .

This car's oil pan is made of magnesium. I've got a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve bolted to the side of it. Is there any chance that my copper is coming from the fumoto valve? I noticed when doing this oil change that the outside of my valve had a slight green-ish color to it. Wondering if the magesium oil pan touching the fumoto valve might be causing some oxidation, and therefore leaching some copper into my oil?

Thanks, Bryan

Is this the 3 cylinder or 4 cylinder insight. Also: CVT or stick shift?
I purchase my PP 0w-20 from here: [non-sponsor link]
Really??? BITOG censors the links to non-sponsor oils? Like Pennzoil? Wow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: theaveng
Is this the 3 cylinder or 4 cylinder insight. Also: CVT or stick shift?
I purchase my PP 0w-20 from here: [non-sponsor link]
Really??? BITOG censors the links to non-sponsor oils? Like Pennzoil? Wow.

You can link Pennzoil and such but its usually to a site that sells the same products as a sponsor that are censored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back