Castrol Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the US, it was known as Castrol GTX Start-Up and came in the green bottles.

It was discontinued due to lack of popularity.

Last edited:
It was a pretty good oil, just marketed wrong. It didn't catch on and was discontinued two years ago. Someone on here recently found some on clearance for .60 a quart.

Hi,
it started here in the mid 1990s as GTX Magnetic - a synthetically enhanced 15W-50 lubricant. Typically as Castrol was in the throes of selling to BP it was relaunched around 2001 as GTX Magnatec 10W-40 - still "synthetically enhanced"!

Castrol lost a LOT of favour through this "sly" move in viscosity that did affect many "normal" users - the market it was intended for! It was stated to have "UMA" technology - Unique Modular Attraction as cornerstone. Wait, their is more - sorry I won't go on!

Actually the product is a good one - semi-synthetic - and is also available in a "diesel engine" version here in Australia

One of my Sons uses it sucessfully in a highly utilised [censored] turbo-charged 2.5 litre diesel engine

Doug, did they upset a few people by going to a thinner oil ? Apparently it uses Ester, which some naturally attract to the engine parts and this is what they mean by magnetic ??

It is very popular here too. Point targeted efficient advertising on the industrial sites, seemingly mechanics believe only it has the "molecular attraction" hence the name magnatec. There are diesel and gas versions. Last year after 10w 40, 5w 30 is also released. It is overpriced here so that I'd pay 25% more and get a synthetic.

very popular in Europe. 5w30 gas all way to 15w40 diesel.
Somekind of hc synthesis.
For fully synthetic, there is the Castrol Edge or SLX.

Hi,
vxcalais - Yes many Dealerships were sudeenly using a less viscous lubricant than anticipated and car Owners were left in the lurch in that regard as well. Like you it is my understanding that it has a Group 5 content

It is a good lubricant with a good reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back