RLI Biosyn HD SHP 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copied the wrong link

http://thisistan.com/08Passat_Variant/Oil_analysis/rli_voa.pdf

Blackstone doesn't test for Antimony. Some of the values of are also different from the one RI_RS4 posted last year, including the TBN is now at 12.9

iirc, the Oil Analyzers Inc, as well as Catepillar do test for Antimony. I still have left over virgin oil, to do additional analysis, ie verification, second opinions, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think RI_RS4 had a custom formulation made for him?

I PM'd him this thread. He has responded
Quote:
Looks good. I'm aware that they've tweaked the formula a bit, but it's still substantially the same. The viscosity is now in the mid 40 range, which is good. It was a bit high initially.

I spoke to RLI also, and they confirmed they have been continually tweaking the formula for other RS4 owners/racers in addition to him.

Could you post the batch number? I've been using this for awhile and it would be interesting to know if your sample was from the same batch as my latest order. When did you purchase the oil?
Interesting to see that it now contains much less copper, calcium, phosphorus, and zinc than it used to.

Last edited:
Just got the Dyson OA today.
10320-100408_Voa.jpg

Notes: Significantly thinner than earlier versions of the 5w40.

Tomorrow, if I can get out of work early enough, oil change (about 5000 miles) and the first UOA. I didn't want to add oil, even though I'm down about a quart....I didn't want to throw off the UOA too much with fresh oil. over the next 5000 miles I will top off the engine oil, and hopefully oil consumption should improve

I like the service that Terry Dyson provides, so I'm sticking with his service now.

Just in also... Oil Analyzers Inc. of the same sample:
10320-100408_Voa_Oil-Analyzers.jpg

To reiterate...blackstone
10320-100408_Voa_Blackstone.jpg

Different methods.... different results

Last edited:
It is downright bizarre how different the results are in metal detection. Look at copper....from 75 to 112 to ~250?

I really like how high the TBN is though...

Joe

it boils down to methods & equipment used. I purposedly spent way too much money for VOA's for a reason-- more to satisfy a curiosity.

you see a variation of results between 3 respected labs.

So, comparing UOA results gets harder now, because you have to compare from the same lab, otherwise, it's more like comparing apples to oranges.

BTW... coming soon, UOA from Dyson with 4950 miles on the oil (and being about 1 quart low)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back