Coolant Disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant

Where do you dispose of the coolant following a flush and replacement? I thought that my local parts stores where I bring used oil would also take coolant, but they don't.

Any recommendations where I could bring the coolant for disposal?

Thanks!

the landfill near me takes coolant, oil, oil filters, batteries, paint, etc.

In Virginia you are actually allowed to pour it down your drain....I couldn't believe it when a neighbor told me this. I still take mine to the landfill.

Sometimes localities have a day where you can bring almost anything hazardous to be recycled. The downside is you could be forced to store it until then.

If you are on a Municipal sewer, contact them. I know where I live, I called them and said that antifreeze was safe for the sewer. Just another food source for the bacteria.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
the landfill near me takes coolant, oil, oil filters, batteries, paint, etc.

In Virginia you are actually allowed to pour it down your drain....I couldn't believe it when a neighbor told me this. I still take mine to the landfill.

Sometimes localities have a day where you can bring almost anything hazardous to be recycled. The downside is you could be forced to store it until then.

Our local fire department does something like that every month.

Originally Posted By: BriantheBrain
If you are on a Municipal sewer, contact them. I know where I live, I called them and said that antifreeze was safe for the sewer. Just another food source for the bacteria.
Same here. I just dump it along the curb and wash it down with a 5 gallon bucket of water.

My two cents:

Never dump used antifreeze into the drian, regardless of what your local govt says. Most auto parts stores will take it at no charge to you.

Used antifreeze contains levels of dissolved heavy metals that is toxic to animal life and may contaminate soils and sediments. If ethylene glycol biodegrades in large quantities, it can deplete the levels of dissolved oxygen in surface waters, killing aquatic organisms.

Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing
My two cents:

Never dump used antifreeze into the drian, regardless of what your local govt says. Most auto parts stores will take it at no charge to you.

Used antifreeze contains levels of dissolved heavy metals that is toxic to animal life and may contaminate soils and sediments. If ethylene glycol biodegrades in large quantities, it can deplete the levels of dissolved oxygen in surface waters, killing aquatic organisms.

I agree strongly.
You guys are scaring me. Sounds like I am in the minority recycling my antifreeze.
Not good for salmon runs etc. You guys are smart enough to know that just because you are allowed to do something does not mean it is the best for all involved. For the love of fish on our plate and the coastal wild life recycle.......

We have got to do our part. Save up a lot of oil, fluids and antifreeze and take them in at the same time. It is not too much trouble to do this. Check a local hazardous waste.
It might be easier on the West coast but they should have some place that takes antifreeze for free.

The salmon runs are taking a hard hit this year on the West Coast. Where I live near Puget Sound they think a Pod of killer whales have died because of not enough salmon.

Originally Posted By: 99
Originally Posted By: BriantheBrain
Same here. I just dump it along the curb and wash it down with a 5 gallon bucket of water.

Er, uh, sometimes the storm drains don't get the same treatment as the toilet water. Depends on the city.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Er, uh, sometimes the storm drains don't get the same treatment as the toilet water. Depends on the city.

Usually the storm drains don't get the same treatment as the toilet water. Combined sewer systems are not very common, and are usually only found in older cities (Chicago, DC, etc). The post WWII suburbs have separated sewer systems.

toilet would be OK, storm drains are not.
I can almost guaranty storm drains are not part of the muni treatment facility.

around here storm drains run into ponds or ocean.

My two cents:

Used antifreeze contains levels of dissolved heavy metals that is toxic to animal life and may contaminate soils and sediments.

Expand on this? What metals? Are they additives or do they dissolve out of the engine block etc?

I can imagine aluminum and iron, as the AF contacts these, but I would not consider these "heavy". Sewer pipes are full of iron anyway.

Heavy metal from solder is all I can think of....

Seems sad that you guys are not finding places to take antifreeze. It is pretty bad to dump it in a sewer or storm drain.

I would think someone would take it even if it is the county or city recycling. It is easy to dump down the sewer or storm drain. But it is not the best in the long run. Maybe future generations will not have the opportunity to see salmon or trout run up streams?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
My two cents:

Used antifreeze contains levels of dissolved heavy metals that is toxic to animal life and may contaminate soils and sediments.

Expand on this? What metals? Are they additives or do they dissolve out of the engine block etc?

I can imagine aluminum and iron, as the AF contacts these, but I would not consider these "heavy". Sewer pipes are full of iron anyway.

Here are some links:

"During the process of cooling the engine, antifreeze
often becomes contaminated with heavy metals from
the engine, grit, and traces of fuel. Benzene, lead, and
other toxins picked up from the engine may cause the
used antifreeze to fail the Toxicity Characteristic
Leaching Procedure (TCLP)…"

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/hm/antifreeze.pdf

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-ead-tas-antifrez.pdf

More links here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="Used+antifreeze"++"heavy+metals"&btnG=Search

Originally Posted By: tom slick
toilet would be OK, storm drains are not.
I can almost guaranty storm drains are not part of the muni treatment facility.

around here storm drains run into ponds or ocean.

Here, everything that goes down the drain, toilet, sewer, etc. goes to the Wastewater treatment plant. We have 12 treatment plants in this municipality, not counting Fort Bragg. That's 12,000 people to a WWTP compared to say, Los Angeles County which averages 2 million people to a treatment plant.

Larger towns, and smaller towns with inadequate treatment facilities, feel the brunt of the water contamination because they lack the means of collecting all wastewater. Here, dumping anything into a drain or toilet is a non-issue as it all gets treated.

If you are unsure, contact your local WWTP. Find out if they service all drainage cisterns, including sewer drains. If not, you could be inadvertently poisoning the towns water supply, though it takes a whole lot more antifreeze to poison a lake than people think. Right now soil erosion is a bigger threat to our freshwater ponds than a million barrels of used antifreeze. The eroding soil leaves the microbodies unable to feed, thereby killing the healthy algae that naturally de-contaminate the drinking water. Such microbodies are usually impervious to human chemical pollutant, only to other forms of bacteria.

If you follow such a line of reasoning, then it's more dangerous to dump your oil in the ground than it is to dump antifreeze down the drain.

In CA they might take anti-freeze at the auto parts store, but most other states you have to take it to certain landfills and they have a set up to take it. It really is a pain to change AF. I don't do it much anymore because of the hassle factor.

Dump it into your standard oil waste container & take it to Advance Auto Parts. They never ask me what it is. I just tell them I need the waste tank.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
We have 12 treatment plants in this municipality, not counting Fort Bragg. That's 12,000 people to a WWTP compared to say, Los Angeles County which averages 2 million people to a treatment plant.

There used to be a number of small treatment plants in this area, which served around 12,000 people (give or take a few thousand) per treatment plant. That changed in the late 70s when the UOSA plant opened up, per EPA mandate. The rationale is that the smaller treatment plants weren't effective enough so they built a larger plant and shut all the small ones down.

The outflow from the UOSA plant is drinkable.

Quote:
If you are unsure, contact your local WWTP. Find out if they service all drainage cisterns, including sewer drains.

Storm drains are usually not treated, there is a separate storm drain system.

For those systems where the storm drains are treated, it is because they are a combined sewer system and they suffer from the problem of the sewage treatment plant not being able to keep up with the inflow during periods of heavy rain. So the untreated, raw sewage gets dumped into the environment. Attempts to solve this problem involve increasing the amount of storage so that the inflow can be stored until such time as it can be processed.

Combined sewer systems are usually found in older cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back