PP 5W30 5,360 - Mazdaspeed 3 2.3L DISI Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, another 15k miles and 2 UOA's since my last thread. Mazda forgot to pull a sample on the middle interval. Looks like I got some contamination in the engine 2 OCI's ago (06/07/08), possibly from driving through a lot of dusty construction areas along the interstate. In the most recent UOA below, I used a Wix Gold oil filter. Not sure if that contributed to the outstanding results or not, but very happy either way. Actually it's the best I've seen on this motor, although still shearing viscosity down to a 20W...

uoa10182008.jpg

Click on the button with the fly-over text that says "Enter an image". Paste the picture's location and you're done!

Within Adobe Reader there should be a "snapshot" option that copies the entire report onto your clipboard. Then, open Microsoft Paint and go to Edit>Paste, then save it as a JPEG image with a filename of your choice. Then, go to a free image hosting site such as imageshack.us, and insert the image using the IMG tags on this board.
thumbsup2.gif
If you need anymore help just send me a private message and I'll try my best to help.

Report very similar to my CX7 on PP 5w30 using a 6,000 mile OCI & Wix filter. I gave up trying to cut & paste so I just type in the values. Certainly the site can set it up to do a simple cut & paste. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Report very similar to my CX7 on PP 5w30 using a 6,000 mile OCI & Wix filter.

Really, you going to post it? All I found was one where you used a Mazda filter and had substantially higher wear metals, though possibly from wear-in.

Once the powertrain warranty is about up, I'm doing a spin-on oil filter conversion kit to get more media surface area (probably Mobil or Purolator), running the filter for 10-15k intervals, and changing the oil via Pela extractor every 5-7.5k. Looking for a bullet proof setup that will keep me from having to remove the belly pan much... Without coughing up the dough for Amsoil hardware.

Check out Earl's fittings. That is what I used for my remote filter/cooler and trans cooler. They have a new line of less expensive fluid handling hose/fittings. There's single and dual filter setups and don't break the bank.

Excellent report.. interesting to see the trend of several UOA's with the same oil. This tells me not to worry if my first UOA of PP reports wear metals higher then desired... just 'keep moving forward' (kids favorite line from "meet the robinsons") with PP and don't flip-flop.. typical bitoger syndrome
grin2.gif

I had it in my head that 10k miles and the engine is done breaking in, you've proved that belief naive!

Ha, I would be a serial BITOG oil changer if I hadn't heard so many good things about PP in my motor initially... Research pays off! I'll probably go through a few other brands/viscosities once my warranty is up. For instance, someone had an interesting suggestion to try PP 5W-20 since 5W-30 shears to a 20 anyhow.

Beerlube - Using that logic, why not go with a 0w10 since the oil would just shear down anyway?

It should probably be the other way around....go up to a 0w or 5w40 and let it shear to a w30 with fuel and use.

I'm using PP in my 08 LGT and I'm very pleased with it's running characteristics, color, consistency, and lack of consumption. Of course, most of those are purely subjective. But still :)

Joe

Joe, I hear ya. However, I've seen a UOA where a 20 weight was used on this motor and no further shearing occured. The less the viscosity difference between hot/cold, the less friction modifiers that are contained, and thus less opportunity for shearing. Not sure how true that is, but I've read it from more than one source anyhow. If it is, your tongue-in-cheek suggestion would carry some validity, 0W-10 would have even less room to shear than a 5W-20, with a 5W-40 having the most potential, all else being equal.

Any experts out there know if there's any truth to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back