M1 0w-20/0w-30 too thin? Maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice pics and info OVERK1LL, but I always heared that the 4.6 was known for piston slap, esp after 100,000 miles, but It usually was never a problem, not enough to cause oil burning even after 200,000 miles. Unlike some of the GM motors were it is a real problem more than just the noise even at fairly low miles.

note my old 94 4.6 was ALL quiet on start up at 230,000 miles even after it sat for over a week in winter with 5w-30 tropartic and/or motorcraft oil in it. old betsy was the best car I ever owned

Those Ford 4.6 pistons look impressive! No wonder those engines are indestructable! Like I`ve said before,my friend`s 96 GT had probably a bit over 300k on it before it got rear ended and it still ran like a beast! He always used Pennz YB 10W30 in it.

Maybe it`s the M1 oil??? My car had a slight "metallic" sound to it with M1 (that`s the best way I can describe it),but never any startup noise. I used it for years and now use Royal Purple which I`ll continue to use.

Startup rattle and piston slap definitely sound different. For instance,valvetrain rattle has a "ticking sound" and piston slap you can actually hear a "clanging" sound while the pistons bang around in the cylinder walls upon startup.

Last edited:
I agree that the 4.6 is not prone for piston slap. I have owned three ex-police crown vics, a 97, 98, and 99 with 140k, 230k, and 80k respectively. All of the engines were silent on startup, no tensioner noise or piston slap, and none of them used any oil.

I currently own a 2001 Grand Marquis with 90k, no piston slap either but I did get some tensioner noise when I experimented with Mobil 1 5w30. I'm currently running AMSOIL 0w20 with a Motorcraft filter and it is completely silent.

Is there any chance you could record the noise your car makes and post it? It sounds like your timing chain tensioners are bleeding off, I had to have them replaced on our 2003 Lincoln Navigator (5.4 DOHC) because it would make some terrible clattering noises when you started it after it had been parked over night.

Whenever I use M1, the engines are always noisier. I think it's a great oil and the UOAs are solid, just noisier, especially on startup. PP and Valvoline Syn.HM have worked well for me, as far as noise goes, but I still have about 20 quarts of M1 left that I'll continue to use.

The most probable reason for the start up noise is the oil filter.
Use the Ford Motorcraft one, not a substitute. This often fixes start up noise. It has 1 or 2 anti drainback valves specially designed, and of high quality.
M1 can be a noisier oil, though. I and others have noticed it in various vehicles. Odd. But if the noise goes away right away after starting, most likely it's the filter.

one tick I've used in the past to gain insight into a problem is to take it to extremes. In this case, factory recommendation is 5-20. You took it to the lower extreme of 0-20. How about trying M1 HM 10-40?
Easy guys

M1 0w20 is one of the best oils I've ever used. Noise was non existant.
21.gif

well the car sat since 3 pm yesterday, I had a freind start the car up 10 minutes ago while I had my head under the hood........No noise, nothing. it got down to about 40 degrees F last night, it's about 46 right now. I also didn't hear the piston slap type noise

Yes steve20, I was thinking the same, maybe I will use 10w next summer, but I will stick with 0w or 5w for fall, winter and spring up here in the north

So now you have no noise?

Mobil 1 will clean out any existing deposits/sludge. It's good to stick with a synthetic for more than one interval so get the best results.

Well, I can't stand it....I'd just have to give GC a crack at that engine for at least one OCI!

I feel confident in saying it would cold weather flow plenty good and probably shore up some of that noise.

Putting on flame suit as we speak....

Originally Posted By: buster
So now you have no noise?

Mobil 1 will clean out any existing deposits/sludge. It's good to stick with a synthetic for more than one interval so get the best results.

ya but my theory holds true, the cooler it is amp temp wise the more the noise goes away

the motor is clean instead from the looks of it down the oil filler, it always was fairly clean, I ran a liitle seafoam thru it before the oil change last spring just before going to M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back